Yamaha Bruin ATV Running problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Numlaar

Chief Petty Officer
Hey gang,

OK, I have a 2006 Yamaha 350 Bruin 4-stroke ATV...

It's seen fairly regular use for most of the time I have had it (bought it new).

I had previously never run the gas out of it, cause I was using it a lot...

About 3 months ago, I knew that I wouldn't be using it for a while, so I ran the gas out of it before storing it...

I just pulled it out and tried to run it, and it won't run without the choke on, and it won't get past about 1/3 throttle before it starts to sputter from lack of fuel (i'm guessing, seems like fuel starvation).

I pulled the carb, cleaned it all out, (It was spotless inside). Put it back on, same thing....

I ran a can of seafoam through a tank of gas on it while puttering around the best I could... stil no change.

While messing around with it, I put my hand over the throat of the carb (with the air filter out), and blamo! I could rev it up no problem (by restricting the air flow)... hmm seems like its losing vacuum or getting too much air...

There is a vacuum controlled throttle plate inside the carb, (goes up/down), besides the typical butterfly... this plate seems to work off vaccum as it has a hose on it that runs to the front of the throat of the intake.

The air cleaner housing goes up under the cowl, and is just an open hole at the top (kind of like a tube). If I take and stuff it full with a rag, the ATV seems to run just fine... (because I am severely restricting the airflow). It will run with the choke fully off, and while it doesn't have "quite" the top end it did without the rag (when it was running right), it's darn close...

Seems like at idle it is back charging air through the intake a bit, then creates the vacuum as you increase the throttle... (can feel it with my hand over the throat of the carb tube). Is there some sort of "vane" like in a compressor that could have gone bad? or do you think it's still something in the carb? (I would liken it to an air compressor where one of the vanes has gone bad, and is discharging when it shouldnt).

I know tons about cars, but diddly about motorcycles...

Is there something "mechanical" in the engine that can cause this? (I have kept up with the maintenance on it regularly).

So my question is, any idea what could be wrong???

rbh

Fleet Admiral
Re: Yamaha Bruin ATV Running problem

you could have a leak around the carb, check the block seal as well as the outlet from the carb, you might only have to tighten the seal clamps
try shooting a little wd40 and see if it pick up rpms.
rob

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Isn't the Bruin carb connected to the engine by a rubber tube? Well that tube is double walled and are notorious for going bad. I replaced the tube on my FIL's when he was acting up.

It's an air leak like rbh stated above.

Numlaar

Chief Petty Officer

Hey guys,

Thanks for the replies...

Yes there are two rubber tubes... one from the air cleaner housing to the carb and one from the carb to the engine...

I pulled it all apart today when cleaning the carb, and checked the tubes, they are still soft and pliable, and I didn't see anything obviously wrong with them...

I did make sure it all went back the same way, and I tightened the clamps up good... everything looks and checks out ok as far as I can tell... and nothing has changed on it since I parked it and started up today... it only sat for less than 3 months, and was stored inside.

Spraying carb cleaner around the whole assembly while running doesnt change the RPM's at all, so I can't detect an obvious leak... but like I said with the rag in the top of the air cleaner tube to slow down the air intake it runs fine....

Take the rag out, and it's back to bleh. :(

Thats why I thought it might be something mechanical causing the air leak.

Any other ideas?

Bob_VT

Staff member

One other thought..... does it have an automatic compression release valve? That may be stuck.

Splat

Lieutenant

Would pull the high idle/main jet out of the carb and double check that its clean.

Other that that this wounds like a cracked intake, or other air leak.

FYI running fuel out of your equipment is actually bad for it. For one it tends to suck debris out of the tanks and right into the carb when you do that. Also you'll never really get ALL the fuel out of the carb, and the smaller the quantity of fuel, the faster it will go bad(think ice cube size on a summer day).

Bill

Numlaar

Chief Petty Officer

Would pull the high idle/main jet out of the carb and double check that its clean.

Other that that this wounds like a cracked intake, or other air leak.

Yeah I'll pull it all apart and double check it again, its just a total PITA to remove.... have to take off the seat,cowling, air filter box, throttle cable (its built into the carb), and then undo it from the tubes... just not a lot of fun...

FYI running fuel out of your equipment is actually bad for it. For one it tends to suck debris out of the tanks and right into the carb when you do that. Also you'll never really get ALL the fuel out of the carb, and the smaller the quantity of fuel, the faster it will go bad(think ice cube size on a summer day).

Bill

I had figured this, as there was never a problem before... and the first and only time I ran the gas out of it, blamo problem... I was going to say I have some bad luck with my stuff, but maybe its because I am just storing it wrong... I am just going with what my dad taught me years and years ago, and I don't argue with him...

I'll post a new thread on whats going on with all my few stuff, and get the best method for storage...

I'll let you know if I get the ATV right or not....

Would it hurt it to run it like it is with the rag restrictor?

Bob_VT

Staff member

Please work towards a proper repair...... that rag idea is just no good.

rbh

Fleet Admiral

You have to remember the reason your machine runs better with the rag in the venture is because you are sucking in air before the main jet and all your doing is just restricting the amount of air (making it run richer)
you should be able to duplicate this by engaging the choke on full.
you have to find were the air is getting in, did you place the carbs in to the rubber boots squiare, pull them back if your not sure dab a little grease on outlet venturies for easier installation. You should feel them pop into the rubber seats. do you have/see the mounting tab on the inside of rubber boot?
I dont have an your atv just 30 years of fixen busted dirt bikes
rob

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.