2007 Honda Civic Idle issue 1.8 litre

ehenry

Commander
The youngun just called to inform me that his little car will die when when he lets it go to an idle. Otherwise the car runs fine. I had him take it to an Autozone and let them see if the system had any codes in it. It did not. I had him put a bottle of Seafoam in it and head home. Its about an 85 mile drive and he should be here in an hour or so. ANy one have any ideas on this one?

ALSO, i stepped over to my home town parts house for a fuel filter for it and there isnt one available.....they said its built in to the pump in the tank......go figure that one out.

Tacklewasher

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 2007 Honda Civic Idle issue 1.8 litre

ALSO, i stepped over to my home town parts house for a fuel filter for it and there isnt one available.....they said its built in to the pump in the tank......go figure that one out.

Fairly common these days. Bit of a PITA. Same goes for the in tank pumps. Had one die in my 3/4 ton and the tank had to be dropped to replace it. Kept it going for a bit by kicking the tank before I'd get in but that only lasted so long.

Numlaar

Chief Petty Officer

Without any codes being thrown, it may be a bit tricky to figure out, but it sounds to me like a vacuum hose was knocked off...

This can easily happen when the air filter is changed or even someone messing around in the engine compartment... it would cause the engine to die, but the engine would overcome the vacuum loss at higher RPM's... (hencing running ok beyond idle).

Just a wild guess, because there isn't much to go on.

I would have him start it up, and try to keep it going while under the hood, and listen for any hissing or sucking air sounds.

If there aren't any obvious leaks, then you'll need to start looking at things like idle speed sensors, CPS, MAP, MAF, etc. to see if its the computer getting bad info about the idle.

Hope that helps!

ehenry

Commander

Numlarr, you win the prize ! Unbeknownst to me.....he and a buddy installed a K&N air filter system on in the little car. While I was looking at in the driveway at the house I found a fairly large vacume line loose that ran from the throat just behind the airfilter that ran to an aluminum manifold pipe...Both ends had come loose and the hose was just laying in the engine compartment.

Numlaar

Chief Petty Officer

Woot!

See those 10+ years as an auto tech did count for something LOL :)

Glad you got it sorted out.

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

Those K&N cold air intakes do not do much for a 1.8 liter Honda...
Kids these days....:rolleyes:

Does he have the monster "go fast" muffler?
He may have gained a whole 4 horse power...;)

ehenry

Commander

Gary H, you know that and I know that BUT that youngun of mine.....every bit of money he makes is on fire and it burns right through his pocket. I expect the reason he got what he got is ....... the kit had a big polished stainless pipe that comes off the plenum that the filteer element clamps to.

He has an eye for the things that sparkle and shine.

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

Gary H, you know that and I know that BUT that youngun of mine.....every bit of money he makes is on fire and it burns right through his pocket. I expect the reason he got what he got is ....... the kit had a big polished stainless pipe that comes off the plenum that the filteer element clamps to.

He has an eye for the things that sparkle and shine.

I hear ya! lol! Yea,My Girlfriends son has a Civic and has done the same thing.
He thinks its now a hotrod! The only difference i can tell is you can hear it sucking air and the muffler sounds like a giant weed eater...:rolleyes:

Between the Thump,Thump of the stereo and that muffler we can hear him 2 blocks away.......kids...:confused:

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

And now when he reoils his filter one of these days, you will have a MAF sensor that won't work anymore. I don't use K&N filters anymore.

ehenry

Commander

UPDATE.....The little car still had the problem last week. I broke down and took it to the Honda dealership and let them plug it up to their diagnostic machine. The car was showing a code for a "too rich" fuel mixture. They said the car would idle if they removed the filter element. We picked the car up, the youngun bought a new filter element and the idling problem seemed much better so he went back to school. He called last night to tell me that the car, at times, would still die on him at stop lights and such. SO, he and his room mate and reinstalled the stock air box and filter on the car and its doing better than it ever has.