• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • ALL iboats Forum Members and Guests:
    To show our appreciation for your participation in the Forums, we're offering an exclusive Forums-only discount good for an additional 5% off your iboats.com order for a limited time.
    To redeem, simply call our Customer Service Team at 800-914-1123 (Open M-F, 9am - 8pm Eastern Time) and mention the Forums 5% off discount. Offer excludes engines, trolling motors, and electronics.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

"dry gas" vs ISOPROPYL Alcohol

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "dry gas" vs ISOPROPYL Alcohol

I've noticed products selling as "dry gas" state "contains Isopropyl Alcohol". Would you consider these interchangable? I have IA that is 70%. Could this be used as "dry gas"? What would you think is a safe ratio if this can be used?
    Thanks

Re: "dry gas" vs ISOPROPYL Alcohol

70% IPA 30% water. At my job we have 99.5% pure and 99.9% pure. I wouldn't even consider using 70%. But that's just me.
    Most people are going to do whatever they want. What I find entertaining is how people justify what they do!!

Comment

I think alcohol is alcohol... and there are 2 types. The type you drink and the type that comes in gasoline.
      Oh wait... I think they are the same But since i'm not off to drink gasoline i'll offer you this.
      Dumping 16 ounces of alcohol into a volume of gas that is already 10% alcohol, isn't going to do anything.
      If you have a 50 gallon tank you already have 5 gallons of alcohol in there. etc etc.....
      just because you found it that way... doesn't mean it's supposed to be that way.

Part of diagnostics is spending time figuring out not only what the problem is, but also sorting through what it isn't.

The older the engine is, the chances of it having more than 1 problem goes up exponentially

Boating has always been a rich mans hobby. Buying a new boat gets cheaper every year, but the maintenance, the repairs, and the overall cost of ownership of a boat has never gotten any cheaper.

Comment

Originally posted by JustJason View Post
        I think alcohol is alcohol... and there are 2 types. The type you drink and the type that comes in gasoline.
        Oh wait... I think they are the same
        There are many many types of alcohol. Isopropyl is used as a gas drier because it absorbs water better than other types of alcohol. Unlike ethanol, it doesn't have a phase separation and can thus be burnt even after it has absorbed quite a bit of water. Obviously our gasoline now has up to 10% ethanol. Ethanol behaves poorly when there is too much water in it. That is why Isopropyl is used instead.

Don't use 70% Isopropyl...it already has water in it!
        1998 Wellcraft Eclipse 24 Cuddy
        Volvo Penta Duo-Prop 7.4L "LK"

2006 Sun Tracker Party Barge 21
        Mercury 90 4-Stroke FI
        "Common sense is not very common"
        "Failing to prepare is preparing to fail." -- John Wooden

Comment

In what application? Some dry gas containers are not marked and some are for engines with fuel injection...... since the advent of E-10 gas I have not seen one gas tank "slush up" in the past two years.
          This is a great link to boat specifications http://boatspecs.iboats.com/
          Please, shop iboats first!!

Comment

Just look up the MSDS for any gas drier on the market.

Mercury 90 4-Stroke FI

Comment

This is on a jetski. When running it the other day, a hose came off, filled the ski just to the point where water tickled the carbs. Pulled the plugs and saw a few water droplets. Thought I may want to runn some dry gas through it.

Is IA of about 99% readily available to the public? Where?

Comment

They sell it at the grocery store.

Comment

Most "dry gas" is methanol or methyl alcohol. This will eat most rubber orings and lines. Isopropyl alcohol does everything that methyl alcohol will without the deterioration of fuel system components. Main reason for this stuff to be marketed was fuel injection components on present vehicles being damaged by methyl alcohol.

Comment

Just run it for a few hours. The heat will dry out the internals.

Comment

Originally posted by Fl_Richard View Post
                      Just run it for a few hours. The heat will dry out the internals.
                      He is talking about water in fuel...what are you talking about?

Mercury 90 4-Stroke FI

Comment

Guy said he "pulled the plugs and saw water droplets" after "water tickled the carb".

I would also suggest running it for atleast an hour to flow some gas and oil thru the engine, you know petroleum=anti rust.
                        1977 Starcraft American 18' 165 Mercruiser.
                        http://s226.photobucket.com/home/win...obra/allalbums

Comment

isopropyl works better than methyl, but is harder to keep dry and more expensive (withour water in it) so companies use methanol in most dry gas formulations. DON't use the stuff from the grocery store or you're adding a significant amount of water along with it. Kind of defeats the purpose, eh?

Ethanol is also a good dehydrating alcohol for fuels and solubilizes a good bit of water allowing it to be passed through the fuel system and burned. The rub is that it picks up water from the air and at 10% in fuel, especially in a wet marine environment, can pick up enough water over time to phase separate with a viscous lower layer (sludge) that won't redissolve in the etoh / fuel mix. as long as you keep it dry you're golden, water is the enemy here.
                          Just another moron with a computer and too much time on his hands...

typical rainy afternoon on the river... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Izi3v75jTs

more recent, amateur camera operator for sure!... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHoXsQc6644

Comment

Originally posted by mikesjet View Post
                            Most "dry gas" is methanol or methyl alcohol. This will eat most rubber orings and lines. Isopropyl alcohol does everything that methyl alcohol will without the deterioration of fuel system components. Main reason for this stuff to be marketed was fuel injection components on present vehicles being damaged by methyl alcohol.
                            YUP! Use 1 ounce per gal in tank if running mixed fuel , much more and it will not mix well with oil mix , it tends to thicken or curdle the oil. I am talking about 90 percent alcohol or better.

Comment

Working...
                            X