• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.


Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best way to fill cracks in driveway? - pics.

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts


  • Best way to fill cracks in driveway? - pics.

    Have a few long cracks in the driveway blacktop. Some are as wide as one inch. I know nothing will stop the movement of the blacktop and the cracks will most likely continue to grow and widen over time. Whats the best way to fill these?

    These cracks are hair line up to about 1/2". This part is laid over a gravel base :



    This one is about 1/2 to 3/4". This area makes the transition from rock base to gravel.



    This is the worst, up to 1 full inch. Here the driveway was laid over solid rock. I think that being on an incline is causing part of it to "slide" down, especially during the winter months when moisture might be under there freezing and lifting the blacktop from the bedrock.

    sigpic 1985 Bayliner 1600 Capri Cuddy, 1965 MFG Niagara Custom. >> MFG Video<<. >> MFG Project<< >>Bayliner Hard Top Project<< >>Bayliner Repower Project<<



  • #2
    Re: Best way to fill cracks in driveway? - pics.

    Use driveway crack filler, which is sold in 1 gallon containers. It's essentially a tar-like liquid that has a small nozzle you cut to size.
    Now, if the crack is more than 1" deep, you need to pre-fill it. I use sand, brushing it across the crack so it'll fall inside. THEN you can apply the crack filler, making sure it completely covers the entire crack (which might involve 2 applications). It'll stay wet for about 24 hours, so throw some sand on top to minimize tracks.
    Hope this helps!
    "Winter Dream"
    Silverton 34C
    White/Green

    Wellcraft 23 Nova XL

    Lowe 1448 BigJon
    w/Evinrude 25HP

    Comment



    • #3
      Re: Best way to fill cracks in driveway? - pics.

      The only proper way to repair cracks in asphalt is to add more asphalt. Typically when we have cracks on the roadways we simply lay tar in the hole, but this is merely a patch job that is intended to last just long enough for the whole road to need paving. Once a paving crew gets to these roads we fill large holes with fresh asphalt, compact it, then pave over it. The solution can be as stated above, but to fix the cracks properly, I would find an asphalt plant and purchase a small amount of hot asphalt.

      TC
      1971 Glastron V163 Bayflite
      1989 Force 125 hp 1254X9B


      sigpic

      A Bad Day on the Water is Better than a Good Day at Work!!

      Comment



      • #4
        Re: Best way to fill cracks in driveway? - pics.

        Thanks for the suggestions guys. There are a few different products at the home centers for patching, from cold asphalt in bags to latex "filler". What I havent seen is plain old black tar that is heated up and poured in a gap. And I'm not too keen on using latex to fix asphalt.

        The sand trick sounds good, these gaps will never go away, so it will be patch jobs to just keep the damage to a minimum with freezing in winter. Need to get about 5-8 years more out of it before replacing the whole thing.

        Thanks again,

        Mark
        sigpic 1985 Bayliner 1600 Capri Cuddy, 1965 MFG Niagara Custom. >> MFG Video<<. >> MFG Project<< >>Bayliner Hard Top Project<< >>Bayliner Repower Project<<

        Comment



        • #5
          Re: Best way to fill cracks in driveway? - pics.

          Originally posted by Mark42 View Post
          Need to get about 5-8 years more out of it before replacing the whole thing.
          7 Years is the expected life of asphalt. Typically asphalt begins to fail after 4 to 5 years. Depending upon the load placed on the asphalt. Most driveways are laid to a thickness of 1 inch or less, which leads to premature breakdown. My opinion is that you will be replacing the driveway sooner than you hope for. The large crack will continue to grow and will become a hole in no time.

          TC
          1971 Glastron V163 Bayflite
          1989 Force 125 hp 1254X9B


          sigpic

          A Bad Day on the Water is Better than a Good Day at Work!!

          Comment



          • #6
            Re: Best way to fill cracks in driveway? - pics.

            Originally posted by seaman campbell View Post
            The only proper way to repair cracks in asphalt is to add more asphalt. Typically when we have cracks on the roadways we simply lay tar in the hole, but this is merely a patch job that is intended to last just long enough for the whole road to need paving. Once a paving crew gets to these roads we fill large holes with fresh asphalt, compact it, then pave over it. The solution can be as stated above, but to fix the cracks properly, I would find an asphalt plant and purchase a small amount of hot asphalt.

            TC
            Yeah, fresh asphalt is the way to go. I cut the crack clean and go deeper so to get more fresh asphalt in the hole.
            WE LOVE FUN STUFF!!!!!

            Comment



            • #7
              Re: Best way to fill cracks in driveway? - pics.

              To me, a straight line failure of asphalt or concrete shows a stress failure under the area. I usually cut the area out and place a dissimilar material (brick, drain channel, plastic board, etc) to allow it to expand, sluff or contract without stressing other areas.
              1987 Boston Whaler "Outrageous 18"
              1989 Johnson 120 V4 VRO

              Comment



              • #8
                Re: Best way to fill cracks in driveway? - pics.

                Bunch of doom and gloom when it comes to tar

                In Maine, we had an asphalt driveway which lasted well over 10 years and still looks nice. Tar is no different than boats. You put in the maint, you get a great return. HD and Lowes sells 5 gal buckets of driveway sealer, buy enough to skim coat your entire driveway and also enough tar granules (comes in what resembles a potting soil bag) to fill any cracks. Don't use sand, as you are just going to see the crack again in a month or so. Fill the cracks, skim coat the driveway and you will have a beautiful driveway for years to come.

                Keep in mind, if you have never sealed your driveway (it's an annual thing), you will need tons of extra sealer, as it will soak in. You will know when you have enough, as it will rest on the surface. I use a giant garage squeegie to push it around.

                All in all, for the 300 foot driveway we had, I recall it taking (5) 5 gallon containers each year or (7) every other year, depending on condition.
                1990 Bayliner Capri 2050 BR - (My first runabout; Never seen her in water) ***Restore on hold***
                Restoration status: Painting hull Watch my progress
                Progress so far: Teardown - Transom - Stringers - Deck - Paint - Re-power - Interior Panels - Seating - Water Trial - Upholstery


                The 10 steps of restoration denial - Which step are you?

                Comment



                • #9
                  Re: Best way to fill cracks in driveway? - pics.

                  Originally posted by Bard1 View Post
                  Yeah, fresh asphalt is the way to go. I cut the crack clean and go deeper so to get more fresh asphalt in the hole.
                  I agree. Clean it out deep and use the correct filler. You can get it from a plant or a municipal supplier that your town utilizes. When we did roadway cracks we would airblast the crack clean and deep to get maximum fill.

                  The crack is either a result of simple freeze/thaw cycles, it could be the beginning of a new fault line on the east coast - prepare for an earthquake or possibly a volcano will rise up in your yard
                  This is a great link to boat specifications http://boatspecs.iboats.com/
                  Please, shop iboats first!!

                  Comment



                  • #10
                    Re: Best way to fill cracks in driveway? - pics.

                    Originally posted by seaman campbell View Post
                    7 Years is the expected life of asphalt. Typically asphalt begins to fail after 4 to 5 years. Depending upon the load placed on the asphalt. Most driveways are laid to a thickness of 1 inch or less, which leads to premature breakdown. My opinion is that you will be replacing the driveway sooner than you hope for. The large crack will continue to grow and will become a hole in no time.

                    TC
                    Holy Cow! One inch? That makes me feel better about this driveway. It is 2 1/2" average thickness after rolling. I had them set the machine at about 3 1/4" before rolling. It was made in 1995, so that puts it at 13 years old. Those cracks are the only place its coming apart, so if I can take care of it, I expect quite a few more years.

                    I hope.
                    sigpic 1985 Bayliner 1600 Capri Cuddy, 1965 MFG Niagara Custom. >> MFG Video<<. >> MFG Project<< >>Bayliner Hard Top Project<< >>Bayliner Repower Project<<

                    Comment



                    • #11
                      Re: Best way to fill cracks in driveway? - pics.

                      Originally posted by Bob_VT View Post
                      ....

                      The crack is either a result of simple freeze/thaw cycles, it could be the beginning of a new fault line on the east coast - prepare for an earthquake or possibly a volcano will rise up in your yard
                      That would explain the warm spot in the middle of the yard.
                      sigpic 1985 Bayliner 1600 Capri Cuddy, 1965 MFG Niagara Custom. >> MFG Video<<. >> MFG Project<< >>Bayliner Hard Top Project<< >>Bayliner Repower Project<<

                      Comment



                      • #12
                        Re: Best way to fill cracks in driveway? - pics.

                        Great an east cost fault line! ahhaha
                        Best thing is to cut it out with a chop saw and refill it with asphalt but that's to much work just clean out the dirt sand down about 3 inches and fill with filller. I hate filler it looks bad but saves money. My driveway is about 3 1/2 inches and 5" towards the garages. It is 13 yo and looks like it did when they put it in. Never sealed it tho. Sealer makes it look ****ty if u ask me.
                        At least fill them before each winter so they don't get worse.
                        Matt

                        Comment



                        • #13
                          Re: Best way to fill cracks in driveway? - pics.

                          Originally posted by seaman campbell View Post
                          The only proper way to repair cracks in asphalt is to add more asphalt. Typically when we have cracks on the roadways we simply lay tar in the hole, but this is merely a patch job that is intended to last just long enough for the whole road to need paving. Once a paving crew gets to these roads we fill large holes with fresh asphalt, compact it, then pave over it. The solution can be as stated above, but to fix the cracks properly, I would find an asphalt plant and purchase a small amount of hot asphalt.

                          TC
                          Originally posted by matt9923 View Post
                          Great an east cost fault line! ahhaha
                          Best thing is to cut it out with a chop saw and refill it with asphalt but that's to much work just clean out the dirt sand down about 3 inches and fill with filller. I hate filler it looks bad but saves money. My driveway is about 3 1/2 inches and 5" towards the garages. It is 13 yo and looks like it did when they put it in. Never sealed it tho. Sealer makes it look ****ty if u ask me.
                          At least fill them before each winter so they don't get worse.
                          Matt

                          You have excellent advice above here. Open up the cracks and blow them out so it is clean. Do not use the cold patch in the bags unless you want to keep doing it. Use the hot mix and compress it properly for a real repair. Let it cure for a couple of months, and then spray a good asphalt emulsion sealer on it.

                          Comment



                          • #14
                            Re: Best way to fill cracks in driveway? - pics.

                            http://www.shoppicketfence.com/produ..._Q_pn_E_511403

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X