Minnow tank

Status
Not open for further replies.

rightcoastrob

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I,m in the process of starting my own minnow wholesale biz.I,ll be getting my bait dealers permit after the 31st of dec.My problem is i was wanting to build the tanks out of cinder blocks ontop a concrete pad.Does anyone know of anything i can paint the inside with thats gunna be water proof and non toxic.If not im looking into tanks that masons use to hual water to job sites then i suppose just block up around them to help insulate them and keep the theives out racoons and people.Back in the day when my father sold minnows he bought 4x8 sheets of stainless well that was 15 yrs ago.And im sure the price is 30 times higher.So if anyone may have a sugestion on what to use it needs to be square im looking at these dimensions 5ft long 4 deep and 4 wide.I,d like two seprate systems just incase i have an issue there health.But ive already got the filtration set up ive got biological and mechinacal filtration along with a water cooler.Ive got the system all ready for my boat to go catch them.Alll my ducks are lined up except this tank issue.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Minnow tank

Ayuh,...

Just build your block tank,+ line it with a sheet of Plastic....

wildmaninal

Lieutenant Commander

Why not use an old non working chest type deep freezer? I was thinking about trying my hand in the bait business as well and was thinking about using 2 big chest freezers that we already have.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Pool liner plastic.

wildmaninal

Lieutenant Commander

I was going to mention earlier that the bait shop that I deal with doesn't seem to have anything lining the inside of his concrete block tanks. I mean he literaly uses the concrete blocks for the tanks, he has them sectioned off. 1 section measure 3ftx10ft in is about 2 ft deep. He's been in the business for years.

Adjuster

Petty Officer 1st Class

Everyone in Florida uses polyethylene water storage tanks. Inexpensive, available in any size, you cut the opening you want on top for a lid/access. Also these tanks are all at waters edge so you continuously pump from the canal and no need for filtration or water treatment of any kind.

rightcoastrob

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well thanks for the input guys but.Im trying to get away from lining it with some type of line just becuse of debri getting caught in the creases and folds.I did kick the idea of rubber roofing and just cutting panels to fit and glueing the seems with like a tire patch glue.But im not sure if there the same compounds.And will bond properly.I imagin that im probably gunna buy some type of plastic tanks of some sort they seem to be common and fairly priced well cheapest way so far.And ive seen just block tanks to with no liners in them also.I dont want to invest a bunch of money in and end up with a half ss system that dont work.Ive though about anto fouling paint but thats expensive dont know if its toxic after its cured.And it would take many many coats to get a good seal.Becuse blocks alone dont hold water they absorb it thats why they tar the outside of a foundation at least around here in ohio.Seems like a simple project if i was rich id just order me up a few sheets of stainless and make em like my father did:rolleyes:but id have to sell both kidneys and one of my moms to pay for it:eek:I dont know hopefully someone on here will have the magic answer for me.That dont cost an arm and a leg.but ill keep it posted on what happens.I was going to restor my boat over the winter but think maybe i should make some money instead of spending it on my boat ill just trash for catching minnows:DMaybe buy a better one down the road.

gonefishie

Commander

Aluminum would be cheaper then stainless steel. How in the heck do you catch minnow from a boat? cast net?

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Two minnows jump in the tank.....

The first one says I'll Drive and you man that big gun! :D

rightcoastrob

Petty Officer 2nd Class

i,ve pulled minnows up that would overfill a 5 gallon bucket.with a small net and some floating lights on a rheostat and just dim the light the minnow will move upwards towards the light then shut the lights completely off and pull up the net.and youll have 5 to 10 gallons of solids minnows. i remember then net was so heavy when i was smaller i couldnt pull it up. i dont plan to do any pulling this time either im gunna use an electric motor to do all the work on a swing arm over the port side.Thats how you catch minnows and make money at it.call a wholesale bait dealer and see what a gallon of minnows goes for.Youll be quite suprised i think.Also let me add that this has only been tryed on the great lakes but im sure itll work on most bodys of water.

dlngr

Chief Petty Officer

A local bait shop here uses galvanized water tanks [oval shaped] which are made for watering livestock. Marina uses the same thing for test tanks,to run outboard motors in.

ebry710

Ensign

50 mil pond liner. They are used for Koa pond, conform to any shape, are non-toxic and you can get any size you want. Plus you can get filters, pumps and even fish food.

rightcoastrob

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I,ve decided to just use blocks and inground swimming pool paint i can get some stuff thats good for 3 seasons covers approx 275 sq ft for 55 a gallon.going to make 2 tanks side bye side and if the figures are right will be approx 500 gallons apeice.I figured it out to be approx 700 bucks.Not a cheap fish tank.Im hoping to get some concrete delivered next week supposed to be in the 40,s.Thankfully my buddy can get me a light load with no min charge.But im hoping to be done bye the first of the yr when its time to renew the bait liscense,s.Get some fish in it and get it established well before spring.

GomezAddams

Recruit

Go with the poly water tanks, or use pond liner in a wood or block structure. I think you will find that most plastics or paints/sealers are toxic to fish.

Adjuster

Petty Officer 1st Class

I feel that you are way over thinking this and I don't understand why??? The water storage tanks are available in any size/shape you could imagine and they are cheap for something that will last 10,000 years LOL. I also like the idea of the cattle watering tubs and if you are in Ohio these should be available at your local rural feed store. Speaking of tubs go get yourself some discarded bath tubs. Free for the hauling.

rightcoastrob

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I feel that you are way over thinking this and I don't understand why??? The water storage tanks are available in any size/shape you could imagine and they are cheap for something that will last 10,000 years LOL. I also like the idea of the cattle watering tubs and if you are in Ohio these should be available at your local rural feed store. Speaking of tubs go get yourself some discarded bath tubs. Free for the hauling.

lol a bathtub i plan to fill a bathtub with just minnows.the cattle tub will work good for on the boat.for a small holding tank till i get home.I dont plan on selling them bye the dozen im going for gallons.and lots of them.I did read somewhere there was over 20,000 gallons of emerald shiners sold in ohio alone last year.Anything plastic is not cheap anymore due to the petrolium in it.:rolleyes:I bet we spent at least 250 bucks on minnows last summer.that about 70 dozen minnows.i take about 10 doz out pearch fishing with just 2 ppl.so im not all that concerned with the price.itll pay for itself in a few years easy.I want a good reliable self contained system.And as far as the paint being toxic if i run into that issue ill just use a pond liner.

ob

Admiral

If your gonna build cinder block tanks instead of pool paint as a seal coat why not just plaster the inside like a gunnite pool.Portalnd cement and marble dust blend.If you can lay brick then trowling on the plaster is easy.Lay on a 1/8" coat and let tack for a few minutes and fill tank using hose placed near bottom as not to splash the plaster job.Stuff cures much better and prevents fractures when submersed Makes for a much better seal than just pool paint IMO.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

i agree with ob. but do not just pour a flat slab. it need to have a curb around it, with rebar coming up into your block, and the cells with the rebar filled. if not over time the water will push the blocks off the slap. it is not hard to do. you use a 2x8 for your outside form, then come inside with a 2x4 form set level with the top of the 2x8, leaving 7 1/2 inches between the 2 forms. now take some 3 ft 5/8 rebar, bend it into an "L" 1 ft short side, which will go into the slab, and 2 feet sticking up to go into the block. this will give you a 4 inch slab, and a 4 inch curb for you block the lay on. when placing the rebar you need to figure out you block lay out, so you get the bars in the correct place. if you really want to go high tech, and be totally secure you could use a lintel block for the top coarse, lay a rebar in it, and fill with concrete or mortar. this way the top will not get knocked off.

kingfish361

Recruit
replying to Adjuster: What water storage tanks are you referring to? I have 2 of the 250 ga. propylene tanks i ready to use in setting up my minnow, shiner, and crawdad home occupation. These tanks come with an aluminum tubing guard around them. I believe they'll work OK . There 4'x'4'x'41" tall . Are these the tanks you were speaking of?? I would like the tanks a little lower , but i will build a 2' wide raised walkway to set in front of the tanks........ we minnow dealers gotta stick together.

a west va hillbilly

jbcurt00

Staff member
kingfish361 Adjuster hasnt logged on to the forum since July 2016. Not likely to get or reply to your query.

This ia the basis of tbe 90day inactivity rule. After 90days w no new posts by the member that started a topic, consider it closed and like a library book, for research only, not to be written in.

Topic closed

Status
Not open for further replies.