1986 Honda Spree not running right.

Big Bubba

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Hello everyone,
My Honda Spree is not running right today and has been running great before hand and before this happens. Do you think the carb is needing to be rebuilt? Just let me know?

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: 1986 Honda Spree not running right.

I'm going to give you the standard iboats "snake oil" fix to try..... if it's running try a can of sea foam deep creep. I would spray into the carb and get some into the fuel system. It is kind of a poor man's tune up.

How old is the fuel filter? Does it have one? I would install a nice small in-line see through filter too.

Those motors are pretty simple and yes it is usually a carb being clogged.... there is an outside chance the electrics are wearing too.

Big Bubba

Hello to you,
I just wanted to let you know that my batterie is pretty dead becuase I have to kick start my Honda Spree to get it started and it runs for a bit and I am able to almost go around the block until it acts up and shuts off on me and I can sometimes keep it going if I quickly move the throttle on the handle forward and aft and then I don't get lucky and it shuts off on me so I have to kick start her again a few times and finally she run again and then act up again. With my battery being dead will that cause a problem with the electric by starter choke on the carb not working and causing my stalling problems I am having now? Let me know Bob

Big Bubba

Also it has been pretty cold here in Mascoutah Ilinois for few days now with the temp near 30 degrees today and I keep my Spree inside a unheated garage.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Well I imagine the battery problem is the main cause. I am not sure but.... honda used to install low oil sensors in engines. If you are having electrical problems chances are it is having an effect there.

If you pull the carb off you can use a spray cleaner on it and I also use a can of compressed air (like I have for my computer) to blow the passages clean and dry.

Big Bubba

Re: UPDATE!!!!1986 Honda Spree not running right.

Re: UPDATE!!!!1986 Honda Spree not running right.

I fixed my Honda Spree running problem today. I went ahead and removed the carb and cleaned it really well by soaking it and blowing all the passages out and put it back on and she runs great. I am a happy camper and the battery is charged up and cranking with the electric starter. Thanks again for your help. Bob