Propane tank won't release gas

fishrdan

Admiral
I connected my spare propane tank to the grill and it will not release propane. I can light the burner, but it dies almost instantly because of a lack of propane, yeah the shut off valve is completely open and the hose connected properly. Is there a simple fix to the tank or time to swap it out?

I had both thanks filled a few months ago and when I connected this tank it had the problem, so I connected the other tank. I emptied that tank (and forgot about the problem tank) so I connected the bad tank again, same exact problem...

Worst case I'll swap it out for a filled tank so I get a functional tank, think that's how I got this bum tank in the first place :rolleyes:

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral
Re: Propane tank won't release gas

If it was mine, I would take it back to where you got it and explain to them the problem. Did you look inside the valve fitting to make sure there wasn't a piece of plastic stuck inside it plugging the hole? Have you tried opening the valve on the tank without the hose hooked up to it? Of course do this away from any ignitions sources.

mthieme

Captain

If you open the valve on a newer OFP tank disconnected) gas will not come out, there is a safety valve. The hose must be connecfted for gas to flow. It sounds like that valve is defective. Since your other tank worked fine (?), I assume the rest of your setup is okay...no rusted out burner, regulator good, etc.
I'd swap it out too.
I own all my tanks and have them filled. Does away with that issue. The last 20# tank I bought came from BJs, less than $20.

MikDee

Banned

Yes, Another annoyance for your own safety! :rolleyes: A spring loaded check valve in the propane tank, like just about every container made today with child safety locks, my biggest gripe is pill bottles. Yours may be defective.

dolluper

Captain

Some new tanks have a safety if your BQ burner valve is open when you open the Propane tank valve no propane will flow...close BQ valves,,,,then open propane tank....open one BQ valve and light

WizeOne

Commander

It most likely is not your tank. The tank does have a safety check valve in it which is depressed when you screw in the regulator. These are pretty foolproof.

I will guarantee you that your problem is in your government mandated regulator check valve. (just visualize government healthcare) This is there, supposedly to shut off if there is a sudden rush of gas from a failed hose.

Incidently there were never any signifigant issues related to this but big brother has to spend your money somehow.

After first encountering this issue, I ALWAYS take my regulator tip apart and pull the spring and check ball. They get gummed up and stick shut or near shut.

j_martin

Admiral

Back in the good old days, you would crack the valve on the tank and eject the spiders and mud daubers, then hook up the regulator. Now we squash the bugs into the works and pay through the nose to get em fixed.

Progress ........NOT

rwise

Captain

To reset the check valve, turn the tank off for at least 10 seconds, then turn it back on very slowly, so the line fills with gas slowly, once the line is pressured up then open it full on. Yes mine do this to and one fights taking refills,,,,:(

jimr

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I had a tank that everytime I wanted to BBQ I had to turn it on and crack the valve on the side with a flat blade screw driver unil I smelled gas shut that one wait for gas to clear and then light the grill. When it was empty I swapped it out with a new tank.

MikDee

Banned

Back in the good old days, you would crack the valve on the tank and eject the spiders and mud daubers, then hook up the regulator. Now we squash the bugs into the works and pay through the nose to get em fixed.

Progress ........NOT

Yes, why can't they leave some stuff alone! :rolleyes: I remember not too long ago the tanks didn't have this assinine feature, did they have so many mishaps that this needed to be done? :( I recently lugged my tank to the fill station because of a low flame, and the guy told me,,, it's Full?! :redface:

That's like my 1st car back in the early 60's was a handed down 55' Buick Century 2Dr. Hdtp, standard shift, that had a clutch switch, it wouldn't crank, until you pressed the clutch in! And Buicks were not made to be stickshift, it had the longest throw clutch pedal I ever saw! :rolleyes: and the most clunky on column shifter ever. I didn't need either of these :rolleyes: was I ever glad to finally get rid of it! Then after many years of driving stick shift cars after that, in the mid 70's, I get a car with that annoying clutch switch again! and now it's mandatory on all stick shift cars! :mad: Just like the old seat belt buzzer, that I've become tone deaf to!

Or how about this one, I don't know how recently this started, but getting a another newer car one time, I couldn't get it out of neutral, almost broke the shifter! I came to find out, you had to step on the brake, to release the shifter! Annoying! I'm old school, and never needed any of these Big Gvmt mandatory items to drive safely! They're only a dangerous inconvenience to me! Or how about that built in steering wheel lock, that won't let you take the keys out, or start till you unlock it, and free up the wheel!

arboldt

Chief Petty Officer

Yeah, MikDee, it's too bad, but that's what happens when some idiot holds a cup of hot coffee betwen her knees, then sues the restaurant when she gets burned.

Unfortunately there is no end to human stupidity -- making things foolproof only creates more ingenious fools. Just peruse the Stupid Human tricks or the Darwin Awards.

Not sure who, but somewhere along the line ppeople felt the government was to protect us from ourselves. Oh, well.

MikDee

Banned

Yeah, MikDee, it's too bad, but that's what happens when some idiot holds a cup of hot coffee betwen her knees, then sues the restaurant when she gets burned.

Thanks arboldt, For my laugh of the day! I almost fell outta my computer chair with that one! :D

Unfortunately there is no end to human stupidity -- making things foolproof only creates more ingenious fools. Just peruse the Stupid Human tricks or the Darwin Awards.

Not sure who, but somewhere along the line ppeople felt the government was to protect us from ourselves. Oh, well.

Sad, but true.

gss036

Commander

I think think the new fill valves are a nusience(?) also, but really needed. My neightbors' son was almost killed by an over filled tank. He ended up spended about 3 months in the burn clinc at UW Hospital after the tank leaked, then exploded, not to say anything about burning down his house. Took well over a year for health issues to get back to anything close to normal again. Thank goodness he had good insurance and the company/ gas station whoever over filled the tank had insurance so he ame out it whole money wise.

fdmsiv

Petty Officer 1st Class

You need to purge your tank. I don't know the technical reason, but I think it has to do with LP sitting for some time. Next time you fill the tank, ask the person doing the filling to purge the tank. I spent a summer filling LP tanks and this fixes about 99% if the problems.

When I would go to fill the tanks we would unscrew a flat head screw at the base of the valve near the tank. Once propane came out of the hole you knew the tank was full and there was no air in the tank. Very strange, sometimes the tank would be 90% full, but nothing would come out, once the tank was purged, everything flowed well.

fishrdan

Admiral

Thanks for all the suggestions guys! I'm going to have my empty tank filled and then try the give the bad tank another try.

When I would go to fill the tanks we would unscrew a flat head screw at the base of the valve near the tank. Once propane came out of the hole you knew the tank was full and there was no air in the tank. Very strange, sometimes the tank would be 90% full, but nothing would come out, once the tank was purged, everything flowed well.

This sounds like the procedure they guy at the filling station used. If I crack the vent screw on the tank's valve will this purge air left in the tank or do I need to have the purging done at the filling station?

fdmsiv

Petty Officer 1st Class

You can do it yourself, but mind you it is very dangerous. Obviously there is the general blow yer self up danger. Secondly, get some good thick gloves. The propane is extremely cold and you will burn yourself very badly if not careful. I had some thin gloves that I used once, the gas froze the glove to my hand for a little bit.

It is better at the filling station I think because the in coming LP seems to push out the other stuff in the tank.

You can try it, just unscrew it the slightest amount just until you hear air escaping. Propane will be white-ish and start to ice over the area when it is coming out.

WizeOne

Commander

Thanks for all the suggestions guys! I'm going to have my empty tank filled and then try the give the bad tank another try.

I still say the problem is your government mandated regulator, not the tank valve.

I guess when your newly filled tank does not work, you will listen.

fishrdan

Admiral

I had both thanks filled a few months ago and when I connected this tank it had the problem, so I connected the other tank. I emptied that tank (and forgot about the problem tank) so I connected the bad tank again, same exact problem...

I still say the problem is your government mandated regulator, not the tank valve.

I guess when your newly filled tank does not work, you will listen.

I've already swapped in the bad tank twice,,, and then swapped to another tank which worked. Doubt it's the grill's regulator or my other tank wouldn't have worked either. (Borrowed my neighbors tank today to verify the grill was OK)

WizeOne

Commander

You can swap tanks all you want. It's the spring check in the regulator snout. They can be erratic. I know I am sticking my neck out here but everything you have stated fits the mold.

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral

Wizeone, read his last post. His neighbor's tank worked OK.