Question on installing throttle cable on top of carb on 1986 Honda Spree Scooter?

Big Bubba

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Hello everyone,
I am the biggest dummy and I can kick myself in the butt for it. Anyway I was trying to figure out why my speedometer wasn't working on my 1986 Honda Spree Scooter and like a dummy removed the throttle control cable that screws on the top of the carb. My scooter was working great and ran perfect until I removed that throttle control cable going ontot he top of the carb. Is there a certain way that it goes on becuase I can't figure it out. When I thought I had it I cranked her over and she tried to run wide open on me. Is there something I am doing wrong? The end that screws ontot he carb looks like a big nut that has a spring and a pin that tapers on one end and gets slightly bigger as it goes up. Looks like a metering pin that contriols the fuel goingout and intot he engine from the carb. I am so stressed out about this that I don't know if I will sleep well tonight. There is also a black or dark grey round block that the pin fits in the center and I don't know if I am putting it in correctly or not. on that block there is a valley and then there is a cutout etc so I am not too sure how it goes int the top of the carb so I am very upset and bothered about this because I don't want to take this to the Honda dealership if I don't have to. Do you guys have a clear picture on how this piece goes on the top of the carb? Let me know Bob:mad:

waterinthefuel

Commander
Re: Question on installing throttle cable on top of carb on 1986 Honda Spree Scooter?

One of the major news networks had a thing on motorcyclists and how they are increasing in numbers. They also interviewed a motorcycle mechanic shop who said how he's backed up at least a month with work for old motorcycles (20+ years old) that are being taken out of storage in barns, etc and put back on the road thanks to 4 dollar a gallon gas.

From a fellow scooter rider to another, welcome to two wheels.

As far as your throttle cable is concerned, I would say to try this:

http://www.hondaspree.net/phpBB2/

dolluper

Captain
Re: Question on installing throttle cable on top of carb on 1986 Honda Spree Scooter?

You can look at a carb parts breakdown here this one is a nq50 model if it's not your simply change model number to look at your carb
http://www.westernhillshondayamaha.com/fiche_section_detail.asp

edit... your going to have to input your info {scooter} on this page then use the drop box to get to the carb section

Last edited:

FLATHEAD

Commander

I am not 100% sure on this ,, BUT,, If it is the kind of carb I am thinking of that cable should go down inside a slide that slides up and down in the throat of the carb. It needs to be attached to to the slide not just stuck inside of it. Take a look and see if you can pull the slide up and attach your cable.

dolluper

Captain

As far as the speedo you will have a drive gear at the END of the speedo cable...make sure it is well greased ....usually on the back wheel

Philthyphil

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You have unscrewed the top of the carb. What you have is the carb slide and main jet needle attached to it, the needle has a clip that holds it and the spring keeps the tension on it. Spring also is what returns the slide with the needle to the bottom of the carb when you release the throttle. Hole in the bottom is the main jet, needle must go in this. Round slide must go back in the carb with its small *** in a groove on the side of the carb. That lets the slide cutout be at the back of the carb, thats the little u shape area in the bottom of the slide, goes to the back. Handle carefully, if needle comes uncliped and you don't know what your doing we can't help, you prob won't even find the clip when it flys. So be gentle. find the groove in the carb, find the *** on the slide and with cut out facing backward first center the needle in main jet and keeping droping slide with the *** going in the groove. Screw top back on, make sure the throttle cable is in it's seat, not stuck up with a bit hanging on the ferrule. If done right you can twist the throttle and hear and feel the slide rising and snaping shut, listen for that little clunk when you let the throttle go. That should do it.Now I have never worked on one of these, I do have seven dirt bikes and three snowmobiles, on many machines if you are having a hard time getting to the carb top if you loosen the clamps on the carb and watch the fuel line, you can rotate the carb a bit to make it easy to get to. Just be carefull. Hope this helps ,I have ridden dirt bikes since the 60's and could do this in my sleep but hard to discribe on a keyboard.....lol.....goodluck