Mercury Vapor Outdoor Lights

gss036

Commander
My elderly neighbor wants me to try fix her light. I put on a different "eye" but it still cycles on and off blinking at times. Even comes on in the daytime. Could this be a "BALLAST" problem? If so, is it cheaper just to buy a whole new light?
What about the flourscent bulbs w/mogul screw fitting, do they put out enough light?

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral
Re: Mercury Vapor Outdoor Lights

Mercury Vapor lites are being phased out. They are very inefficient to todays standards. The light cycling on and off usually means that the bulb is getting weak and on its way out.

If it is trying to cycle during the daylight, then something is wrong with the photo cell. Make sure the voltage is right. Photo cells do come in several voltages.

My suggestion is to replace the whole light head with a new one. High Pressure Sodium is my choice. They may produce an orangish yellow lite, but burn about half the electricity as merc vapor does.

For the best brightness/white light, metal halide would be the way to go IMHO. They burn about the same amount of electric as Merc Vapor but with better output of light.

I manage 3 new car lot light systems as well as the companies stores that I work for. About 500 light heads in all. Of all of those, there is about 4 fixtures that I can think of that has not been converted from mercury vapor. Some suppliers around this area have already quit suppling mercury vapor bulbs.

BTW, Do Not intall a regular bulb into the socket of a ballast controlled light fixture. This will create a dead short and destroy the ballast and or capacitors. Good Luck in what you do,,,,,and be careful.........SS

gss036

Commander

Your lights in your car lots are probably 440 volt lights. Whole different ball game. I went through that last year replacing the one in our church parking lot.
I don't know that I want the reddish light shinning in my bedroom window since it is righ next door. There is another light on the garage which is disconnect, maybe switch that head over.
I will mess with this tomorrow or Friday and see what happens. I did put on a different photo cell eye. I talked w/a friend who is an electrical engineer and he said it would be the ballast, especially if cycling during the day. We will see.

FLATHEAD

Commander

I'll second the metal halide. They certainly can be had in 120 volt. You will get some long life out of it. They put out some nice clean light.

The ballast if bad will more likely than not show signs of overheating, and even stink to high heaven.

Good chance the bulb thats in there now is not specified for that particular fixtures ballast.

Make sure to check the voltage coming in to the fixture. Could be a problem in the wiring somewhere.

Caveman Charlie

Chief Petty Officer

I'm not sure what I have in my yard. You can buy one locally for about 35 bucks. It comes with a socket,bulb,bulb cover, and mounting shaft. It takes a few minutes to warm up and it hums as it does. It has a "eye" on it and it comes on at night and goes off in the day.
The primary one I have is maintained by the local electric company. There is another one we privately own mounted on the end of the machine shed. It's on a switch. There are thousands of these around me, they have been there for many decades, and there is no talk of ever changing them out. I will admit I read a article once that says it takes about 10 bucks a month to keep them lit. My primary one is in line before the meter though.

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

Your lights in your car lots are probably 440 volt lights. Whole different ball game.
Some of the lights are 440v but there are others that come with what is called a multi-tap ballast. However the 440 volt units are only designated that voltage only. The multi-tap will accomodate 120, 208, 240, & 277 volt. That is only the input voltages but the outputs to the start cap, ballast, and bulb will be the same no matter the input voltage (providing it is hooked to the right line tap)

Beware of the quartz lights. They do put off a lot of light and are very bright, but burn out quicker with much more power consumption.

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

Those "cold, blue, depressing lights"...are outlawed in my HOA. Like living in a parking lot. Junk it and get a simple motion activated..they have them in "dim" position mode, fire up bright on motion...

gss036

Commander

She has a motion sensor light by the back door, but still wants the one at the other end of the garage. I swaped out a used one today, will see how it works tonight. When I first installed it the light wanted to come on, then off , then on, so I switched out the eye from the other light. \If that doesn't work she wants me to buy a new and install it.
I have one installed on a 25 ft pole in my back yard and would not be with out it. Just a personal prefernce out here in the country, otherwise it is totally dark here.

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

out here in the country, otherwise it is totally dark here.

So are we...end of Peninsula, small private. Zero car tire noise..(I know the mail ladys tires coming a block away). Dark is called night here, and we like to go out and look at stars. Even the marina is barely walkable at night. But thats just us...and we have no crime whatsoever.
Your area probably differs. I just cannot stand those cold blue lights. Take no offense...Plus the "noise" they put out .. irritating.
Here. we have all switched to what "CostCo" sells..good bright projector beams, leave them on low dim that come on at night..stay on, and turn bright when any motion involved. Aint a deer walked through my yard yet, and I didn't know it...just a thought, and only $30. Sodiam vapor lights ..old school ..theres better out there now...

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

I mounted 2 wallpaks on the back of my house facing the woods. Metal Halide 1000watts of pure brightness:D I also have 3 lites on motion sensors. On each motion light I tied into the light socket wires and ran them to a relay. Its wired so that if all 3 lights are tripped, the big ones come on. It takes several minuets to come on, but allows my security cameras to see better. Then once all three motion lights cycle off, the big ones go out. They also come in handy for night time parties :D

gss036

Commander

I was going to get a new bulb this morning, had it in my hand and walked over to look at new fixtures. The whole new fixture was on$9.00 more than the bulb, so I got the whole fixture and put the bulb back. Raining now so when it stops I will go over and installt it.
I did notice while I was there that they had a replacement flourcent bulb, 65 watts rated to replace the 175 watt, mercury vapor. It was about $22 something + tax.

Caveman Charlie

Chief Petty Officer

I had a friend that had a old light from a high school football field. Something from the 50's .It ran on 110 volts and he plugged it in in the house once. I was in a different room with my eyes shut and could still see the light! God it was bright! Problem was I also watched his electric meter while he plugged it in once and it spun so fast I thought it was going to break. After he got the electric bill he put it away and never used it again.

gss036

Commander

Conclusion: Installed the new light this afternoon and it is now working great. The old bulb looked burnt, that could have been the problem all the time.
I will add that the advertising on the box for the floursent bulb said it would save about $100+ per year on cost of electricty. Might be work checking into. I kept the old fixture, maybe I'll throw $23 away and get one and try it, maybe on the back wall inside my pole barn. I can sure use the extra light at times. I now use the floursent flood lights and that works good. Put on a switch or extention cord.