Have you seen that mighty putty comertial

drewmitch44

Lieutenant Commander
The oxyclean guy took some starbrite epoxy putty and is selling it for every kind of use you can think of. Its crazy what that guy will sell. That commertial makes me laugh you see people jaming that **** on pipes and what not to fix leaks. Its like they are advertising rigging things up. Why wouldent you just fix it right?

wildmaninal

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Have you seen that mighty putty comertial

I've seen the oxy clean commercial. But I haven't seen the one you are talking about. Allot of the stuff looks great on TV but when you buy it it isn't worth a flip. I have never ordered anything off of TV or the internet for that matter having to do with advertisement of a product. Back when K-mart was selling as seen on TV products, I wanna say my mom bought a couple of the products to try out but I don't know how they worked out for her.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

The epoxy is nothing new, its been around for years, available at any hardware store for a buck.

Why don't people fix things properly?

no time
no brains
no interest
simple ignorance

drewmitch44

Lieutenant Commander

This is the same stuff that he is selling-http://www.outdoorsuperstore.com/product.asp?prod=252737&cm_mmc=comparisonshopping-_-froogle-_-all-_-252737 . I cant believe how much profit there is to be made from people who just dont know and think that this is some kind of miricle product that was just invented. You can buy the same stuff at wal-mart for a couple of bucks and i think he is doing the whole 3 payments of 19.95 or something like that. Im not sure exactally what he is charging but its something like that. Its one of those 2 part epoxies that you mix together. a lot of different people make it. I think even jb weld makes something like that.

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral

JB Weld makes one called J-B Stik and J-B Waterweld.

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

Jezz...called "plumbers putty"..still have an 8 inch/1 thick roll with an inch off from the 70's ..good forever..'till ya "Knead" it...(pun intended)
..the catalyst...good forever. Stuff DOES work..turns to steel..repaired many a broken pot metal small OB carrying handle, shift, ..etc.
JB calls it "WaterWeld"..."Stik"..samo samo ...sold in Many forms ...and labels..same stuff....4 inch tube, Wally World...2 bucks...
PS..that loud mouth has zip on Ron Popiel..ultimate BS artist..

newbie4life

Chief Petty Officer

Jezz...called "plumbers putty".......

Actually, plumber's putty is a soft product, that's a single part -- comes in a cup. Used for putting drains in sinks, sinks in counter tops.

You're thinking of plumber's epoxy... the two part epoxy that you 'mix' by kneading.

Tyme2fish

Commander

I will not tolerate that loud mouth to holler at me in my own home. I will immediately change the channel when that loud SOB appears. Why is it that a lot of commericials now have people yelling at us?? Will a mad person buy your product? I don't think so.:mad::mad:

mudmagnet63

Petty Officer 1st Class

If you call right now we'll send not 1 not 2 but 3 sticks of mity putty for ony 3 installments of $9.99. But wait if you act now we'll throw in two 5# sacks of used kitty litter. It Great for those pesky little leaks on your roof. Just take a KITTY COOKIE and smash it into where your leak is and presto.

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

I call that stuff tootsie roll epoxy. It does work great for emergencies and it comes in different compounds and sizes. To me it is just for temporary fixes.

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

Actually, plumber's putty is a soft product, that's a single part -- comes in a cup. Used for putting drains in sinks, sinks in counter tops.

You're thinking of plumber's epoxy... the two part epoxy that you 'mix' by kneading.
OK, ya got me..been a long time since I worked for a living as a Machinist, but you are correct. Stuff is a super life/piece/whatever timesaver. Just looked in my stash..have some more I think I picked up at WallyWorld. This is from "CarGo".."Quick Steel"...same as JB "WaterWeld"...all gray outer, black inner..
PS..I can't tolerate the loudmouth either...

drewmitch44

Lieutenant Commander

you have to be careful with some of those epoxy sticks. I used one once and it had so much metal in it it turned into a glob of rust.

i386

Captain

I've used the JB stick weld. It's good stuff. Everything in moderation.

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

I like using the stuff to hold wires up where there isn't any place to use tie wraps or to drill holes for screws. I knead up a marble size ball and smoosh the wires into it then placing it against a surface. I always had problems of the wires getting pulled out of my bow light. Never had a problem after using the stuff to hold the wires up and out of the way.

Yep, ole Willy has a very annoying voice,,,,

Windykid

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Had to make a temporary fix on a cracked carb in the middle of the night, that JB weld is amazing.

In the military we used it for battle repair. You can put some in a stripped out bolt hole, run the bolt down and then out and let harden. Wa la instant threads.:D:eek:

reffdogg

Cadet

Ok, my neighbor handed me some of this to fill a chip in the clear coat on my glastron, I am also considering this to repair the holes in the boat I made when installing back seats, these holes went through the fiberglass, what does every think about that as a filler for screw holes ?

Jacket4life

Petty Officer 1st Class

I would not do it on the clearcoat for sure. Do some more searching on here, there are better products made for that application.

DECK SWABBER 58

Lieutenant Commander

I will not tolerate that loud mouth to holler at me in my own home. I will immediately change the channel when that loud SOB appears. Why is it that a lot of commericials now have people yelling at us?? Will a mad person buy your product? I don't think so.:mad::mad:
Must be to wake up the comatose people who are ignorant enough
to buy it in the first place.:rolleyes:

If someone screams at me on tv I will NEVER buy their product.
Reminds me of a carnival huskster trying to scam you out of your
$$$.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Ok, my neighbor handed me some of this to fill a chip in the clear coat on my glastron, I am also considering this to repair the holes in the boat I made when installing back seats, these holes went through the fiberglass, what does every think about that as a filler for screw holes ?

I think Marine Tex would be a better bet.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Wow, another thread from the past come back to life !!!