Sony Grand WEGA KDF-55WF655 and power

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
I have had this big flat screen TV for 2-1/2 years. I have an extended warranty from Circuit City that has about 3 years to go.

Had one problem with the light box. Covered.

I am now in the third period when it shuts off and immediately starts up again (about 15 second warm-up cycle). Sometimes it does it once or twice a day and sometimes as often as every few minutes (like the past few days).

The first time this happened it lasted about a week, then just stopped doing it. Circuit City won't send their techs out this far in the stix so they subcontract service calls. When the tech finally called it had stopped. He said it was related to low line voltage and there is nothing he could do to prevent it.

I happened again about a year later. Again I called and again it quit before the tech called (about 2 weeks).

Now, about a year after that it is back. I can't even use the TV because it is off almost as much as it is on.

Is this a "normal" behavior for the Grand WEGA sets? Is there something I can do to make my multi-grand$ TV perform properly? Do you think I can insist that Circuit City deal with it?

I have a 300W Sola transformer to regulate power to my 'puter. Would that handle the load of this big TV?

eurolarva

Rear Admiral
Re: Sony Grand WEGA KDF-55WF655 and power

What have temps been like in your area? Does this mainly happen when it is real hot out? When you line voltage drops your current goes up and that could be causing the TV to shut off. You can do is measure your AC voltage when it happens and then again when it is running fine. If it is your line voltage you may need to use a buck boost transformer however they arent cheap. I would make Circuit City address the problem. At least have them give you a solution. Another alternative is to talk to your electricity provider and see if they have any suggestions.

Plainsman

Rear Admiral

I have the same tv, but my problem has been the optic block, twice replaced. If CC won't do anything call Sony. That's what I had to do to get the problem resolved.

Pony

Rear Admiral

I am not too familiar with that exact set but am with most WEGAs....this is not a common problem..........but if something were wrong with that TV, I doubt Sony will have the parts to fix it......unless you get lucky. Still going though Sony would be by far the best option. You will still have to go through Circuit City to some degree because Sony's warranty is a year and half past its due.

IMHO CC has an obligation to you since you bought their plan. As said, the manufacture warranty is probably void at this point. Its tough since the TV only acts up some of the time. I have seen other projection sets of other brands do this, and the 3rd party techs wont lift a finger if the tv turns on when THEY look at it. I know that it isnt a power regulation issue as it happens anywhere I put this TV in the store and all the other sets perform fine.

Do you have the TV connected to a good quality surge? IF not you should regardless of the issues you are having.

Also some sets do this when the bulb is going bad, but since yours had this happen years apart in some cases, I hesitate to guess that. Sony's do have very short bulb life compared to other brands.

I would insist that CC send a tech out again.

orion25

Petty Officer 1st Class

Go buy a good quality computer UPS. I recommend APC (I have the 1500 model that I got off Ebay for about $150). Make sure it has Automatic Voltage Regulation (AVR). Plug the UPS into the wall and your TV into the UPS. The AVR regulates and maintains the voltage so your TV "sees" clean power. If it continues to exhibit the same problem call CC and tell them that it is not a line problem.

Also, even though they are more expensive than regular surge protectors I prefer UPS's. My 42" LG plasma is connected to the surge only side of a Belkin UPS (got it for less than $100) and the DVR is on the battery back-up side. So in the event of a power failure the DVR is still recording. My main computer (monitor is not connected since it is a power hog), cable modem and router are connected to the APC 1500. If the power fails I can still use the laptop to access the internet.

PierBridge

Chief Petty Officer

Maybe I'm not understanding you but if you still have a CC warranty they have to fix it which can be done by Sony but more then likely CC will replace it.
You need to go to CC with the TV and have them take care of it start out real nice and work your way up to HIGH VOLUME.
Man I wish I was down there I love doing this kind of stuff for people I do it all the time up here Not bragging but i'm a bit of legend at getting things taken care of warranty or not..

darrklim2

Petty Officer 1st Class

Go buy a good quality computer UPS. I recommend APC (I have the 1500 model that I got off Ebay for about $150). Make sure it has Automatic Voltage Regulation (AVR). Plug the UPS into the wall and your TV into the UPS. The AVR regulates and maintains the voltage so your TV "sees" clean power. If it continues to exhibit the same problem call CC and tell them that it is not a line problem.

Also, even though they are more expensive than regular surge protectors I prefer UPS's. My 42" LG plasma is connected to the surge only side of a Belkin UPS (got it for less than $100) and the DVR is on the battery back-up side. So in the event of a power failure the DVR is still recording. My main computer (monitor is not connected since it is a power hog), cable modem and router are connected to the APC 1500. If the power fails I can still use the laptop to access the internet.

I agree completely. Even if it isn't a power problem, a tv that costs as much as the big screens do should always be hooked up to a ups, not only for battery backup, but because there is nothing better than a ups to protect against a surge or even a lightning strike. The reason for this is because the tv or computer or whatever you have pluged into the ups is actually running off the battery so if there is a surge the battery takes the "fall" a $150 ups is much better than a several thousand $ television. IMHO Also APC is the best brand out there that I have seen. The 1500 should be plenty enough for your television and DVD, DVR, etc.

tommays

Admiral

i would put a DMV into the outlet and see what is going on with the power :confused: while it is not working correctly

Up here we are getting a LOT of brown outs that affects all the machinery on bad days we will drop from are normal 208 volts to as low as 195 which will shut down most of the machines

Tommays

JB

Well, I finally got sufficiently motivated to go get the DVM and monitor the line voltage in several places in the house. It holds at 120-121vac when the TV croaks. No other electric/electronic device in the house has had any problems. There is no coincidence with the AC turning on, microwave, or any other power hog device.

PONY mentioned bulb life. Could my bulb be going? The book says average life is about 2 years. Mine is 2 years and 8 months and it is on about 12-18 hours a day.

I Googled APC. They list the 1200va without battery backup at $54. Is that the right device?

Thanks for your help, guys. I really appreciate it. :)

orion25

Petty Officer 1st Class

You want the UPS with the battery backup. apc.com/resource/include/techspec_index.cfm?base_sku=BR1200"]Here is the 1200 VA model You can usually find it on sale at CompUSA every few months. It is hard to find a good price on the internet since the savings are usually killed by the shipping costs due to the weight.

Last edited by a moderator:

JB

Why do I need the battery? Another hundred bux just to watch TV while the power is out?

I have ordered a new lamp from Sony. If I don't need it now I will have it when I do.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

JB- "Why do I need a battery?"

darrklim2 - "The reason for this is because the tv or computer or whatever you have pluged into the ups is actually running off the battery so if there is a surge the battery takes the "fall".

The battery works as an extra layer of protection and voltage regulator.
It will provide a constant voltage to the tv if the line voltage drops.

It really is nice to have for a computer. Allows you time to save files and close programs down, rather than killing the power and losing your data.

Where I live, I get momentary outages.
Sometimes it isn't even enough to make the lights blink. Usually they just flicker for a .1 second.

Just enough to make the computer shut down and the Directv to reset.

JB

Okay. Thanks, Roscoe. That makes good sense.

I do get those micro outages, too, but my Sola Transformer protects the 'puter. DTV does the reset thing right in the middle of a big play in the football game.

If the new lamp doesn't fix it I will get the battery 1200va.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

My feeling is that the technicians are blowing you off by saying it is the line power. You more than likely have a power supply that is failing. It will probably get worse as time goes on.

Does this happen to occur more often when it is warmer?

Just as a test if it is a temp issue, try using a portable fan and blow air into the vents on the right side of the TV. There is also a reduced power mode that you can try to see if this occurs less frequently.

I guess it is possible that a light bulb going out could give the same symptoms..worth a shot also especially since it is probably due to be changed anyway.

sangerwaker

Commander

JB
Doesn't your extended warranty cover lamps? Many of them allow for extra lamps over the manufacturers warranty.

Pony

Rear Admiral

JB
Doesn't your extended warranty cover lamps? Many of them allow for extra lamps over the manufacturers warranty.

Ditto!!

I bought the plan with my DLP specifically for that reason. That is why I would have the tech come out. If its the bulb, they would replace it at no cost to you (if that is what your plan includes).

As you stated yourself, if the bulb isnt bad, you now have a back up for the inevitable.

JB

Well, I gave up waiting for RATZAKRATZA CC to get someone out here and replaced the lamp. The trouble appears to have cleared up.

CC is going to supply me with another lamp that I will keep as a spare.

Thanks for the input, gents. Helped a lot, especially Pony's mention that some sets do this when the bulb is "used up". It seems my set is one of them.

Pony

Rear Admiral

JB I wish you another couple of years of HD football bliss with that bulb. You got her fixed just in time.

Your story makes me happy I don't work for CC.:D

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

Glad it straightened up.I have the 06 model KDF and it has different cooling modes that you can set in the advanced menu.I was thinking a heating issue.
All the reading i have done on the Sonys everyone suggests not to run in vivid mode in the picture settings.
The bulb will last much longer that way..
I have had mine a few months with no problems.
Another thing i found out,Sony offers just as good of an extended warranty as CC for about 79 bucks..

Plainsman

Rear Admiral

Thanks Gary. I wasn't aware of the vivid mode problem.