Drive a CRV, RAV4, Forester or Tucson?

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
I would like some real satisfaction feedback from people I trust.

How do/did you like it overall?

What would you have gotten different in the way of options?

Real world city/hiway mileage?

I have daughters (49 and 50) that drive a CRV and a Forester. Each of them thinks (or says, anyway) that their ute is the greatest thing since the microprocessor. I need some outdoorspeople feedback.

dolluper

Captain
Re: Drive a CRV, RAV4, Forester or Tucson?

Never owned one just fixed them all buckets on my OP

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Okay a biased opinion..... I work for a Toyota dealer.

Rav4 V-6 - real world mid 20's to high 20's. Real V-6 power and a low speed 4wd lock that divides the power 50/50 Standard VSC, ABS and side impact and curtain airbags..... IMO (consumer reports too) one of the best small SUV will tow 3500 lbs w/o any problem. Can handle light off road but, more than the rest. I would have to say we do take in quite a few CRV's traded for Rav4's.

Drive a Rav with a V-6 and pull along side any other SUV and dust it in a 0-60!

Honda Crv is nice but no cigar... not enough power and shakey off road.

Forrester.... very nice but it is an awd car that lacks ground clearance. Every time you see one over a year old the front valance is cracked and normally one fog light is cracked.

Tucson (never been there :) ) no experience.

None of these are Mercedes.......... I have seen the top 3 in action on snow, ice and mud..... in mild conditions no problem in deeper conditiond the Rav takes the lead due to the transfer lock.

POINTER94

Vice Admiral

JB,

Owned a 04 CRV. Very good car. Lowsy truck. Marginal room inside for taller folks, I'm 6'3". Bulletproof engine probably would have run forever but it runs at awkwardly high rpms on the highway. We had a 5speed version. Its milage on the highway was nothing to write home about, around 24 mpg on the highway for a 4 banger is somewhat disappointing. Realtime 4wd, not real effective. And a real dog in terms of acceleration. Even with a 5 speed. I would almost call it dangerous slow. I am not a real lead foot. Interior and build quality are second to none. Controls are well laid out, but somewhat unusual, and of a quality that can be felt. Why detroit cant do this is beyond me. Interior makes good use of the room after the front seats, very versitile and downright roomy.

Well built, well engineered, but it really is nothing more than a civic with a lift kit. We got rid of it due to the lack of legroom and acceleration. No towing capasity to speak of. Never had so much as a bad wiper blade. Bought new, got rid of at 50K. I would give this a big thumbs up with the caviat that it isn't really a truck or a towing vehicle.