Cleaning Geo. Foreman grill?

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
I love my GF grills. Grill chicken, fish, burgers, sausage and even lunch steaks on them. . .but.

Even though I spray them with canola oil beforehand they always end up with some baked on crusty deposits that are very hard to get off.

I have tried wiping them down when still hot, waiting until they cool, using soapy hot water and some of my best USN bad language. It is still a major chore to get the danged things clean.:'(

I have thought about using oven cleaner followed by soap and water.:devil:

Any ideas? How do you get them clean?

12Footer

Fleet Admiral
Re: Cleaning Geo. Foreman grill?

JB, I thought the GF grills had detachable griddles.. Anyhoo, If you do not find a solution, the solution I would recommend is the trash can, followed by a trip to Target (or other store), to pick up a GE model of the same device (which DOES have detachable grills). We use ours at least twice a week, and cleanup is as easy as washing two plates and a 4oz cup. I think the grill costs around 30 bucks, but dunno for sure.

Terry Olson

Chief Petty Officer

Our GF grills clean up very easily with just paper towels - maybe you've worn the teflon off in places?

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

My mother had given us a Forman grill years ago, the first version. It did not have the removeable plates. It was easy to clean at first, but over time the teflon wore to the point that it could not be cleaned without using something aggressive, which then meant things would stick to it, which made it difficult to clean. Anyway, the mother-in-law was visiting a month ago and bought us a new grill with removeable plates and it is larger. The old grill is down in the basement.

It may just be time to replace, how old is it?

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

If the grill is not old and worn, the problem is the spray on oil.

Ex ruined several very expensive fry pans using that stuff.

You shouldn't need any oil on those grills. But now since there is a microscopic layer bonded into the teflon, you will need to continue using the oil.

12footer's advice is best at this point.

JB

The instruction book says to spray cooking oil on it before use.

If I forget the oil it is even worse. :'(

Guess I need one with the removable, dishwasher safe plates.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Hey JB, update us on your pond-tank-silt-horse problem.

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

ooopps! I stated GE, but the one we have is Hamilton Beach. It has the detachable plates and detachable grease collector cup. But from what Carol tells me, GE does make one with removeable plates and the cooking surface is a bit larger than ours..

JB

!2Footer: #2 daughter was just here. She pointed out to me that Cook's Illustrated did a comparo on electric griddles and said the detachable plate units don't heat evenly and the GF I have works best (She gave it to me.8) ).

Unfortunately, the article did not say how to best clean the #$% things. :'(

roscoe: We have gotten just enough rain lately to keep water in the biggest tank, so the equines are happy. I am waiting for a moment when I have the leverage to confront the gas driller company about their promise to clean out the silt. When they do that I will have them make a settling pool before the inlet. Thanks for asking. :)

tommays

Admiral

I use the sponge with the plastic scrub pad on one side when it gets really dirty

It has not hurt it much that i can see and it gets used 3 to 4 times a week

Tommays

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Don't understand. I just wipe my GF grill off with a paper towel when we are finished. Basically, however, we just use ours to do sandwiches so maybe chops etc are tougher to clean up after.

Bob in Calif.

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Our original George Foreman has over 100,000 miles on it and doesn't have much teflon left.

After using it, I turn the unit back on, to heat it for a short period of time, take it to the sink and spray it with a can of windex foam. It the windex dries too quickly, I respray it cooking surface and scrub the grill part with a vegetable brush. I then carefully rinse the windex off of the grilling surface, then spray again, if nessary and scrub the hard to remove stuff.

I let it sit for a few minutes so it will drain the majority of the water out and I plug it back in for a minute so the remaining moistue will dry up.

I don't let my wife do this proceedure, as she know's nothing about machinery. :0

...Bob in soggy Calif...

Bob in Calif.

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Our original George Foreman has over 100,000 miles on it and doesn't have much teflon left.

After using it, I turn the unit back on, to heat it for a short period of time, take it to the sink and spray it with a can of windex foam. It the windex dries too quickly, I respray it cooking surface and scrub the grill part with a vegetable brush. I then carefully rinse the windex off of the grilling surface, then spray again, if nessary and scrub the hard to remove stuff.

I let it sit for a few minutes so it will drain the majority of the water out and I plug it back in for a minute so the remaining moisture will dry up.

I don't let my wife do this proceedure, as she know's nothing about machinery. :0

...Bob in soggy Calif...

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral

Is Teflon digestible or just roughage?8)

JB

If heated sufficiently teflon emits flourine gas. Not compatible with continued human life.

I don't think the GF grills are teflon coated. I think it is closer to "silverstone".

I will try the plastic sponge thing.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

JB said:
If heated sufficiently teflon emits flourine gas. Not compatible with continued human life.

I don't think the GF grills are teflon coated. I think it is closer to "silverstone".

I will try the plastic sponge thing.

Or compatible with avian life.
My ex-girlfriend lost (killed) 41 pet birds one evening when she left a teflon fry pan on the stove. It took only minutes, and they were dead. Yes, the same ex that ruined the expensive cookware.

"Silverstone is the newest form of the Teflon® non-stick fluorocarbon resin finish. It is harder and more durable as a coating on utensils and other surfaces. It is a DuPont registered trademark."

DuPont has since sold the Silverstone product line to a company named "Meyer."

salty87

Commander

my foreman almost cleans itself, too. if something sticks, the little plastic spatulas that come with it can usually dislodge said junk easily.

i'd look into getting another.

fluorocarbon resin finish...ummm, tasty