Worm zapper

20/20

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Worm zapper

How many people shock worms? Is there anymore danger then driving a vehicle? I'm curious as to how much danger is involved, if a person was to use common sense? I've been told that guns can kill also, but so far the only thing I've seen is the folks behind the trigger doing the killing.

NC22

Seaman Apprentice

Im sorry about any unpleasantries of this post. :( However as with any other activity, common sense is a must. Hunting, fishing, drinking, etc..... . I think after reading this post I will try the croaking method with the 2x2 first. Thanks all for your input.

rwise

Captain

Myself I go to the leaf beds rack them back and pick up the worms, fast easy, and good fat worms!

levittownnick

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Hi 20/20,<br />The hidden danger is what will get the most unsuspecting killed. Most everyone has had an electrical shock. If they survived, they may have thought that was unpleasent or may be that it was not so bad. The thing is that it mostly depends on the path that the current flowed through the body and or the condition of their heart. Children are especially susseptable. Annother major factor is the area of contact. Standing in water is the only condition that I can think of that is worse than standing on the ground.<br /><br />If someone watches another person shocking worms, they could conclude that it is not so dangerous because they may not realise all of the dangerous factors involved. Personaly, I will never resort to this method, and I have extensive electrical experience.<br /><br />Think of the relative cost! If you compare the number of worms harvested to the number of children or mothers or fathers or friends etc. lost or that will be lost as others learn, would you think it is worth it?<br /><br />No one would put themself in the place of Jacob Nathaniel Hill's parents.<br /><br />You ask about common sense. Does this make common sense?<br /><br />Please find a safe alternative or buy your worms.

dogsdad

Lieutenant

My grandfather told me they would just pour out soapy water from dishwashing on the ground, and up they would come.

Realgun

Commander

Doesn't anybody go to the store and "BUY" worms anymore?<br /><br />First ya shock the little buggers. Then you stab the little buggers. Drown the little buggers. And then you hope they get eaten.<br /><br />What a way to go. <br /><br />Personally I love to fish with them little buggers. :)

20/20

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Originally posted by levittownnick:<br />[QB] Hi 20/20,<br />The hidden danger is what will get the most unsuspecting killed. Most everyone has had an electrical shock. If they survived, they may have thought that was unpleasent or may be that it was not so bad. The thing is that it mostly depends on the path that the current flowed through the body and or the condition of their heart. Children are especially susseptable. Annother major factor is the area of contact. Standing in water is the only condition that I can think of that is worse than standing on the ground.<br /><br />If someone watches another person shocking worms, they could conclude that it is not so dangerous because they may not realise all of the dangerous factors involved. Personaly, I will never resort to this method, and I have extensive electrical experience.<br /><br />Think of the relative cost! If you compare the number of worms harvested to the number of children or mothers or fathers or friends etc. lost or that will be lost as others learn, would you think it is worth it?
Hi levittownick<br /> A life lost is not replacable, does this mean we should not drive cars? How about boats, no more swimming. My point is that there are plenty of folks that do this but I don't see the death tolls in the paper that much. I would have a much better chance of seeing a hunter, swimmer, or vehicle death then this.<br /><br />
No one would put themself in the place of Jacob Nathaniel Hill's parents.
Allthough that is a very sad story I can show more stories of children having bike accidents, or even kidnapped. One sad story does not mean it is the norm.<br /><br />
You ask about common sense. Does this make common sense?
Sounds more like there was no common sense used, that was my question. I would love to see my boy cut wood with me but I would not hand him a chainsaw at the age of 4.<br /><br />
Please find a safe alternative or buy your worms.
I do have different ways of getting worms but that does not mean I should put down anothers method as long as they are safe and use common sense. Sorry if I sound uncaring, but we seem to base opinions on what we wouldn't do because of one bad story. Isn't this how PETA and the anti-hunting growd works?

levittownnick

If your sure that you understand the risks, and the risk that you pass on to others, have a ball.

20/20

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Originally posted by levittownnick:<br /> If your sure that you understand the risks, and the risk that you pass on to others, have a ball.
We can say the same about driving a car???<br /> <br /> I just read the story about Jacob again and noticed it was all about emotion. It never told what happened, it just explained how horrible it was to lose a child {which I agree}.<br /> I'm just curious as to what happened is it possible the parents could have been the real problem ,not watching Jacob? I know when my kids were that age I didn't let them play with eletricity. These stories are a dime a dozen but they often leave out the real/true meaning of what happened. Sorry to sound harsh, no one wants to lose a child it is a horrible thing but ignorance should not take the place of truth

Pony

Rear Admiral

I agree with link.<br /><br />We used to have a 12ft x 20ft garden that we didnt plant stuff in for a few years. Used to water it down really well right before dark, then come outside with a red lens flashlight and pick them up with my hands. Usually got 30 a night. If it rained during the day I would sprinkle coffee grounds on the dirt.

levittownnick

Can you guess why there are no agency (UL, CSA, etc.) approved worm shockers or why industry (I'm not talking about a garage operation, where the operator is clueless to libilities.) hasen't jumped on this market?

20/20

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Levittownnick;<br /> <br /> Would there be enough money to be made if an industry did jump on this? Money talks, corporations go to where the money is easy and plenty. Lets be real if we can make a hot tub pumped with 220 volts I'd almost bet there is a safe way for this to be done. Our ancestors invented alot of stuff that was very far from safe but demand and invention brought many things to life. Take a look at the logging industry, farming, construction etc... I would say no one has jumped onto this because there isn't a big enough demand to outweigh the cost of researching it. Like many here have said all you need is a little water on the ground and wait for night, then pick the little buggers up. So maybe it just wouldn't pay out in the long run to invest in this type of thing? Plus who wants to buy a 300+ dollar contraption when you can go to the mom & pop store and get a couple dozen worms for 3-4-5 dollars? EVERYTHING has a price it just depends on who or if anyone wants to pay it.

NC22

Seaman Apprentice

I'm pretty sure that I saw a comercial version of this at a bait and tackle shop in west central minnesota a few years back. I cannot remember the brand, or if it was 12 volt or 120.<br /><br /> How about the shock collars used on dogs, or tazor's to bring down criminals. Sounds to me like the technology is already there. Im sure that there are dangers with this as there are with anything else. I could die walking across the street if a car were to hit me, but if safety is kept in the forefront then the risks are far less.

levittownnick

The manufacturing cost of this item is less than $1.00. Retail would not be big bucks except for libility costs.<br /><br />The idea of using an isolation transformer is without merit because once it is referenced to earth all isolation is lost. Without an earth reference it cannot work.<br /><br />If they were on sale in some Mom & Pop shop, it is because the store may not be aware of the risks or libility. I Know that they are Not U.L. approved.<br /><br />These devices are needless deaths waiting to happen. <br /><br />If they work at 12V, I would have no problem with them.<br /><br />My concern is that they are inherently dangerous and present an un-necessary risk to human life. Others that may not be aware of the dangers, may see the results and immitate the process without knowing how to protect themself or children.

byacey

Chief Petty Officer

12 V will not drive worms out of the ground, there isn't enough current flow due to the ground resistance. I have used an old tube type TV power transformer with a 350V secondary mounted in a steel box with a momentary push button that switches the primary winding (120V). I would pound two ground rods into the dirt about 6 feet apart, when energized by pushing the button, the worms would be driven up. Releasing the button would shut off the current instantly, and then you go collect the worms. It's also best to do this while nobody else is around - safer that way.

20/20

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Looks like anything else, do it if you have the knowledge don't if your unsure. More kids have been killed on bicycles or drowning then by this. There are bigger fish in the sea to worry about then worm sapping.

levittownnick

Could you show me an estimate of the relative hours versus death for these activities (ie: hours spent worming as compared to bicycle riding)?

20/20

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well I did a search on drowning, bicyle, and worm zapper death tolls. Drowning is the leading cause of child deaths overall, bicycles are way up there also, worm zappers didn't even register. I found 2 deaths caused by unsafe worm zapping{1 you allready mentioned}, I'm sure there could be a couple more. When I searched these deaths I did a total deaths caused by worm zappers and only child deaths caused by the other 2. So my conclusion is that the zappers are not that big a deal. Like I have said before anything can happen in any type of situation, being unsafe just adds to it. I see nothing wrong with zapping worms if it works, just be safe and learn the dos and don'ts.

levittownnick

1)Rate---number of hours of an activity divided by number of incidents. ie: if 1 million people spend 1 hour a year skydiving and there is 1 death resulting from skydiving then the rate is 1 million hours per death.<br /><br />2) Deaths from worm zapping is included in electrocutions.<br /><br />3) How do you find the do's and dont's?<br /><br />4) I don't think it's safe.

rwise

Captain

safety depends on th e equipment used to do it. if using an old telephone crank, when you stop cranking it, it no longer makes electricity. If using 120 VAC from the power lines, then it is dangerous. you could build one with a 12 VDC car battery using an ignition coil and a points type distributor, turn the distributor and it makes high voltage with little potential. might sting a bit if you get zapped, but in most cases would not kill. you could also use any other ignition system.