1984 pontiac firebird fuel pump location....HELP!!!

brother chris

Commander
We are trying to find the location of the fuel pump on my friends 84 firebird.<br />The dealer gave us the wrong one.<br />And the one they gave was to be installed in the side of the engine block, which would be a mechanical fuel pump, but there is no area on the engine block to install it. <br />So we were wondering if this year of Firebird had an electrical fuel pump. And if this has an electrical fuel pump, then where is it located. <br />We are going to buy a manual, but thought we could get a head start first, by trying to loacte the area, in which the fuel pump is actually installed. <br />The VIN # for the Firebird is #G2AS8716EL274244, if that helps. <br />Thanks in advance for any information.<br />B.C.

vipzach

Lieutenant
Re: 1984 pontiac firebird fuel pump location....HELP!!!

What motor is it? 5.0?

vipzach

Lieutenant

From what I found, it is electric and mounted to the fuel tank. You should be able to follow the fuel line from the carb inlet to the pump.

Dreamer1Q

Seaman Apprentice

That is most definetly in the tank. Drop the rear axle and then the tank. Or cut a access hole in the floor pan and go in that way. I have done both ways. I prefer to drop the tank, but some people are lazy.

brother chris

Commander

Thanks for the info. <br />It is raining, so I guess I know what we are doing for the day.

Belchy

Petty Officer 1st Class

I agree with vipzach, most efi gm's have the fuel pump in the tank....not really easy to work on though....<br /><br />Belchy

jph20

Seaman

and the winner is dreamer it's in the tank lol

fseries

Seaman Apprentice

buy 2 because the replacements never last as long as the original ,,,,g m had a lot of bbb calls in the 80s over this and the transmission issues...

Dreamer1Q

Seaman Apprentice

Personally I would look into getting a Walbro replacement. Higher volumn, and longer lasting. There is a place called Racetronix that sells a complete kit for less then the cost of a new pump assembly. And it has a Walbro in it.

brother chris

Commander

Well, we cut a hole in the trunk...for no reason. <br />There is no fuel pump in the fuel tank.<br /><br />Any other ideas before the car gets more chopped up?<br />We are not trying to do too much work on it yet, since it is not in my friends name yet. <br />He had to do a title search and now send a letter to the registered owner so we can get the proper papers.<br />We will buy the manual AFTER the car is in his name. <br />Any other help would be appreciated.<br />Thanks,<br />B.C.

brother chris

Commander

DreamerQ1,<br />How big is the fuel pump?

dolluper

Captain

What's going on there Chris all you have to do is follow the fuel lines they always end up at the pump,unless a aftermarket electric pump was put in some obscure location it might split off the lines to hose,should be in the tank otherwise,on the top of the tank there is a retaining ring you punch around like a screw to release BUT USE A BRASS PUNCH YOU DON"T WANT TO CAUSE SPARKS WHICH= BOOM!!!!!!ARE you sure you need a pump and not just a pump relay,when you turn the key you should hear the relay click under the hood,either by front right fender[passenger side] or right firewall behind power steering pump<br />Pump would be about 6 inches long with about 2 inch diameter it hangs down in tank from top of the tank

one more cast

Captain

The pump should be in the tank and should look pretty much like this with a small screen on the bottom.
is

craze1cars

Lieutenant Commander

Go to Google. Type "how to replace an electric fuel pump" in the search engine. LOTS of answers with photos and everything of ALL the different types of electric fuel pumps just in case someone has modded this Firechicken. As has already been said....just find a fuel line up on the throttle body in the engine compartment, and follow it back to the fuel tank. If you don't find a fuel pump somewhere in-between the throttle body and the tank, the pump is obviously in the tank. While following the on-line instructions, try not to blow yourself up.

elmo

Seaman Apprentice

hmmm, cut holes in trunk, no papers for the car to prove ownership, haven't diagnosed problem to detect fuel pump failure, won't buy a manual, gets scarier every time i read this one, wait till you realize the pump really is in the tank, and you need to remove the rear axle assy. to get that gas tank out, then see the rusted fuel lines, yep, fixin cars is fun ain't it....

steamboatwilly

Petty Officer 1st Class

If it is fuel-injection(TBI),it will be in the tank.If it it is not fuel-injection,it wont be in the tank.I didnt know they had F-I in 84.Thats all I know.

brother chris

Commander

Dolluper,<br />Yes, I know, follow the fuel lines from the tank. We did....and under the hood we have 3 lines that have been cut. It looks like that is where the fuel pump should be, but.....<br />Actually, I am not at home, so I cannot take a picture and post it. <br />I am going to put this thread on hold until tomorrow. <br />I will take a couple pictures. 1 of the fuel pump the dealership gave me and 1 of the "unit" that is in the tank.(The thing is....I never looked at the fuel tank, after the trunk was cut open). My friend told me what he found, and from what he described...it was not a fuel pump.<br />I don't work tomorrow afternoon, so I will post the pictures then.<br /><br />Elmondo.....It's all good dude. We know who the owner is...we just have to get him to sign the papers and then it is in my buddies name. <br />We would NEVER start something like this unless we knew it was worth it. <br /><br /><br />I know this is a simple fix...I think the dealership just gave up the wrong pump...which in turn....made us wonder. <br />I'm thinking my buddy was wrong about the "unit" in the tank, and that it is actually the fuel pump he saw. <br />I guess we will find out tomorrow. <br /><br />But thanks for the help guys. Pics tomorrow.<br /><br />B.C.

one more cast

Captain

You can't see the fuel pump unless you pull the sender unit assembly. By the way that unit isn't very cheap and will most likely be ruined by removal if they use salt on the roads in Vancouver. It almost sounds like someone installed an aftermarket electric pump and then removed it before you got the car.

brother chris

Commander

OMC: I think you are right. <br />I looked at the unit and it is definetely a fuel filter and a sending unit. <br />There is no fuel pump in the tank, so maybe someone replaced it. <br />We are going to the dealer to exchange the fuel pump they gave us and see what they have to say.