• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • **** The forums will be undergoing maintenance tonight approximately 10pm-midnight MDT. Thank you for your patience during this time. ****

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

1984 pontiac firebird fuel pump location....HELP!!!

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1984 pontiac firebird fuel pump location....HELP!!!

We are trying to find the location of the fuel pump on my friends 84 firebird.The dealer gave us the wrong one.And the one they gave was to be installed in the side of the engine block, which would be a mechanical fuel pump, but there is no area on the engine block to install it. So we were wondering if this year of Firebird had an electrical fuel pump. And if this has an electrical fuel pump, then where is it located. We are going to buy a manual, but thought we could get a head start first, by trying to loacte the area, in which the fuel pump is actually installed. The VIN # for the Firebird is #G2AS8716EL274244, if that helps. Thanks in advance for any information.B.C.

Re: 1984 pontiac firebird fuel pump location....HELP!!!

What motor is it? 5.0?

Comment

Sorry, it is a 2.8L, V-6

Comment

From what I found, it is electric and mounted to the fuel tank. You should be able to follow the fuel line from the carb inlet to the pump.

Comment

That is most definetly in the tank. Drop the rear axle and then the tank. Or cut a access hole in the floor pan and go in that way. I have done both ways. I prefer to drop the tank, but some people are lazy.

Comment

Thanks for the info. It is raining, so I guess I know what we are doing for the day.

Comment

I agree with vipzach, most efi gm's have the fuel pump in the tank....not really easy to work on though....Belchy

Comment

and the winner is dreamer it's in the tank lol

Comment

buy 2 because the replacements never last as long as the original ,,,,g m had a lot of bbb calls in the 80s over this and the transmission issues...

Comment

Personally I would look into getting a Walbro replacement. Higher volumn, and longer lasting. There is a place called Racetronix that sells a complete kit for less then the cost of a new pump assembly. And it has a Walbro in it.

Comment

Well, we cut a hole in the trunk...for no reason. There is no fuel pump in the fuel tank.Any other ideas before the car gets more chopped up?We are not trying to do too much work on it yet, since it is not in my friends name yet. He had to do a title search and now send a letter to the registered owner so we can get the proper papers.We will buy the manual AFTER the car is in his name. Any other help would be appreciated.Thanks,B.C.

Comment

DreamerQ1,How big is the fuel pump?

Comment

What's going on there Chris all you have to do is follow the fuel lines they always end up at the pump,unless a aftermarket electric pump was put in some obscure location it might split off the lines to hose,should be in the tank otherwise,on the top of the tank there is a retaining ring you punch around like a screw to release BUT USE A BRASS PUNCH YOU DON"T WANT TO CAUSE SPARKS WHICH= BOOM!!!!!!ARE you sure you need a pump and not just a pump relay,when you turn the key you should hear the relay click under the hood,either by front right fender[passenger side] or right firewall behind power steering pumpPump would be about 6 inches long with about 2 inch diameter it hangs down in tank from top of the tank
                          You forget you don't remember!
                          Friends are family we choose for ourselfs
                          Ifin YOU KNOW it goes....if not it doesn't
                          Transom Repair http://www.shareaproject.com/pages/i...i,1437,00.html

Comment

The pump should be in the tank and should look pretty much like this with a small screen on the bottom.
                            OMC

Comment

Go to Google. Type "how to replace an electric fuel pump" in the search engine. LOTS of answers with photos and everything of ALL the different types of electric fuel pumps just in case someone has modded this Firechicken. As has already been said....just find a fuel line up on the throttle body in the engine compartment, and follow it back to the fuel tank. If you don't find a fuel pump somewhere in-between the throttle body and the tank, the pump is obviously in the tank. While following the on-line instructions, try not to blow yourself up.

Comment

Working...
                              X