Sony...Rootkit Surprise...

Xcusme

Commander
This has been getting more than just a little attention lately.....<br /><br /> Link... <br /><br /> Link ...<br /><br /><br />You can jump over to the GRC website GRC and d/l an MP3 and text file (to follow along with the show) explaining all this stuff....<br /><br />Seems that Sony is proving that piracy is safer after all! The fact that their 'player' software opens up your system to other exploits is bad enough, and is a good read. There are links to 2 programs that can detect the rootkits on the site too. If your machine has suddenly developed the BSOD, this could be a reason why....

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
Re: Sony...Rootkit Surprise...

Just goes to show you Xcusme, ya just don't no who to trust these days. What are us neophytes supposed to do. :eek:

ZmOz

Captain

And they try to treat us like criminals when we "steal" their music. :rolleyes: They leave us no choice...

Xcusme

Commander

Originally posted by Boomyal:<br /> Just goes to show you Xcusme, ya just don't no who to trust these days. What are us neophytes supposed to do. :eek:
Well, I guess reading as much as you can, keeping your ear to the ground as much as possible, and not putting yourself in harms way (surfing-downloading stuff) etc. When it comes to corporate interests, your safety is the least of their concerns. Besides installing a root kit on your system, without your knowledge OR consent, wasn't bad enough, it was poorly written. Being poorly written, you're now MORE open to attack. Now that the cat is out of the bag, Sony is providing a removal program. But here's the questionable part. You have to jump thru hoops, enter a bunch of personal info, just to get the program to remove the root kit. The fact is that you have to agree to allow the 'un-installer' program to go and get an updated root kit service pack to enable the removal of the original root kit. It's an ActiveX control and you're not told what it's going to do when you run it. <br /><br />Personally, I wouldn't trust Sony...period. The only thing that will make them think seriously about all of this is the bottom line. Stop buying Sony products. Perhaps by boycotting their products, they'll get the message. Boy, is that wishful thinking , or what! This is just a small bump in the road for Sony, embarrassing yes, but still, no big deal. They'll weather the storm, knowing the people have short memories and then it's back to the same ol' thing.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

I read the links you provided till my eyes crossed.<br /><br />Didn't see this question asked.<br /><br />Can I play the cd in a stereo in real time, and feed it into my pc via a rca in , or a rca-to-usb converter, and avoid the rootkit and other software?<br />Should be able to, I would think.<br /><br />What say you pc gurus?

ZmOz

Captain

Originally posted by roscoe:<br /> Can I play the cd in a stereo in real time, and feed it into my pc via a rca in , or a rca-to-usb converter, and avoid the rootkit and other software?
Yes. You could also record each song to MP3 this way. Or you could just download them...

Xcusme

Commander

Well, this web page just about expresses my take on this issue...<br /><br /> Link (Rant)

Xcusme

Commander

Originally posted by roscoe:<br /> I read the links you provided till my eyes crossed.<br /><br />Didn't see this question asked.<br /><br />Can I play the cd in a stereo in real time, and feed it into my pc via a rca in , or a rca-to-usb converter, and avoid the rootkit and other software?<br />Should be able to, I would think.<br /><br />What say you pc gurus?
It seems to me that it would be much easier to boot a Knoppix CD and use a Linux CD ripper and save the MP3's directly to your HD...

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

I got a better idea.<br />I'll just use my Mac.