Fram Filter inside pix

Scaaty

Vice Admiral
This was cut open by me on my lathe (did the best I could at draining, but it was a mess on me and the lathe, even slow speed with a cutoff tool, so you can't say the anti-drain/rubber flap/bypass whatever didn't work). Off a 150,000 mile Astrovan 4.3 after 3000 miles. This motor burns zero oil. No cardboard media, bad glue, weak springs, missing parts....media could be torn, but with effort. Found just carbon particles, and they were EXACTLY where they were supposed to be. So guys, take it away, and I will continue to use Fram. I wonder if some of these horror stories of filters weren't swap meet specials made in Malaysia with Fram paint<br />
PICT0002-1.jpg

LubeDude

Admiral
Re: Fram Filter inside pix

Here is a great page if you want to see what is in some of the most popular filters, and very good comparison.<br /><br /> Oil filter study.

txswinner

Banned

Ok lube so now I am really confused I would like to buy the best for my car. What are you thoughts.

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

After all this oil talk, I think I will go back to the "Total Loss" motors Harley built!

QC

Supreme Mariner

IMHO, the only "safe" thing to do is buy the OEM brand for your specific car or boat or other powered toy. They are the only ones who care. Filter manufacturers that only sell filters have only one incentive, and that is to make them cheaper. The OEM wants to maintain your satisfaction and will ulitmately get blamed by you if there is short life.<br /><br />This brings up an interesting question. Do any of you (who don't own a repair shop or aren't named LubeDude) know anyone that has had an engine failure due to lack of lube or contamination on anything originally manufactured in the last 10 years? I don't.

ae708

Chief Petty Officer

I used to change oil and filter religiously at 3000 miles. Then I found out that a car will run over 200,000 miles with sporadic maintenance. I don't get as obsessive over oil, filters, and frequency of changes as I used to. Maybe back when cars were totally worn out at (if they made it that far)100,000 miles it was more important. I guess if you want to spend in excess of 5 bucks a quart for oil and 10 bucks or more for a filter that's ok... I can't afford to do it.

KaGee

Admiral

Originally posted by Quietcat:<br /> Do any of you (who don't own a repair shop or aren't named LubeDude) know anyone that has had an engine failure due to lack of lube or contamination on anything originally manufactured in the last 10 years? I don't.
Nope! I don't know anyone who has experienced an engine failure as a direct result of using OEM or Aftermarket oil filters. Neither because they used a certain brand oil.<br /><br />I just think some guys are as anal about their oil/filters as my wife is about cleaning house. If I don't do it just the precise way she likes it done, why it hasn't been done at all. In fact to hear her, I might of made things worse. :p

craze1cars

Lieutenant Commander

Me neither. I change my oil about every 10K to 12K miles, I use synthetic oil, usually Mobil 1, and the cheapest filters I can find. All my vehicles run just fine past 150K, then I generally sell them in good condition with no oil burning, no sludge problems, no leaks.<br /><br />I recommended the same to my customers when I had my own repair shop 15 years ago. They never had problems either.<br /><br />If I was running petroleum oil, the only change I'd make is to likely keep oil change intervals closer to 7K.<br /><br />I do run mostly highway miles. If me or my customers were in stop & go or idling a lot, I'd probably shorten intervals about in half.

lakelivin

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Originally posted by KaGee:<br /> <br />I just think some guys are as anal about their oil/filters as my wife is about cleaning house. If I don't do it just the precise way she likes it done, why it hasn't been done at all. In fact to hear her, I might of made things worse. :p
KG, I have a theory, let me know how close to being correct I am: I bet you learned this long ago, enthusiastically volunteered to help with house cleaning in order to be 'a good guy and sensitive husband', and then for at least some of the chores, made sure that the job you did wasn't up to her standards, after which you could be reasonably sure that she would want to do it herself in the future (the old "I'll wash the dishes" and them breaking one of them trick). :D <br /><br />Who said women are smarter then men? (hope your wife doesn't read this forum!)<br /><br />Who said that

Wimperdink

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I use fram.. only because it has the handy nonskid grippy thing on it. No other technical reason. Are oil filters really this big of a topic?

KaGee

Admiral

Originally posted by LakeLivin:<br /> ..I bet you learned this long ago...
LOL... What I learned was... when she gets into a "cleaning frenzy", I get out of the house ASAP.<br /><br />I do my share, but she always goes behind me "touching up". She's "obsessive-compulsive" when it comes to house cleaning. <br /><br />I know, there are no "obsessive-compulsive" types in this forum! :rolleyes: Snick! :p <br /><br />And for the record... I have used FRAM filters. Currently there is one on my boat. Not the standard one... the "tough guard" I believe. It was on sale!

craze1cars

Lieutenant Commander

Originally posted by Wimperdink:<br /> Are oil filters really this big of a topic?
Only to the select anal few. And to them, oil filters seem to be the ONLY topic. ;) <br /><br />But it provides me with some free entertainment...so I read and pipe in once in a while just fer fun.

LubeDude

Admiral

Originally posted by Quietcat:<br /> <br />This brings up an interesting question. Do any of you (who don't own a repair shop or aren't named LubeDude) know anyone that has had an engine failure due to lack of lube or contamination on anything originally manufactured in the last 10 years? I don't.
Hey whats that all about? I have never seen an engine failure either, just that when I saw Fram filters fail, they were no longer filtering anything, the media just came undone and it was just sitting on the bottom all in tact.

LubeDude

Admiral

Honestly from what I have seem over the last few years, the SuperTech oil filters from WalMart are a very good filter and probably the cheapest filters you can by. They were made by champion labs last time I checked, but that can change overnight knowing walmart. Actually better than a Fram. Personally I use Napa Gold, Wix, Hastings, Purolator (Pure one) mostly.

BillP

Captain

Hastings got the worst rating by Consumer Reports a couple years ago. They were waaay worse than all others tested.