Fram oil filters good enough?

KRS

Banned
Hello all... if you have been reading my recent posts you can tell that I'm doing some routing maintenance on my cars (since it's too hot to boat).<br /><br />Is the cheapo AutoZone Fram oil filter good enough? They sell Bosch also. What does everyone use in their truck, and why?<br /><br />I read that Bosch uses an anti-drain valve, that sounds like a good idea, not sure if anyone else uses it.

ZmOz

Captain
Re: Fram oil filters good enough?

No. Do not use Fram. They aren't worth their weight in feces. ANY other filter for the same or less money will be better. Bosch makes good filters.

KRS

Banned

As soon as I stop laughing, I'll go pull the fram from my jeep and my taurus :) ;)

TELMANMN

Chief Petty Officer

I have seen Fram being bad mouthed before. I use them and change oil at 3000 miles. 1999 malibu my daughter drives has 165000 on it so can't be too bad. Still uses minimal oil(1/4 quart or less between changes) and I use sea foam once a year to clean carbon etc both in gas and oil. Also make sure air filter clean and use Valvoline or another quality non wax oil. <br /> Had a 1995 Acclaim with the 2.5. It had a head gasket leak(120,000 on it) and when it was taken in to fix the mechanic said it was one of the cleanest motors inside he had ever seen. I guess if you want to drive 10,000 miles between changes then don't use Fram but for 3000 or every three months, I have had no problems. Just my opinon.

ZmOz

Captain

Originally posted by telmanmn:<br /> I use them and change oil at 3000 miles. 1999 malibu my daughter drives has 165000 on it so can't be too bad.
Sometimes I smoke. I don't have cancer. I guess it's safe for everybody to smoke then! ;) The problem with Frams is not their filtering ability, they do it about the same as everyone else. The problem is they use inferior materials (cardboard instead of metal) that can easily fail. When there are dozens of other, better brands for the same price or even less, (walmart has good filters for under 3 bucks) why risk using a Fram?

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

I know Lubedude awhile back had a bad Fram filter. The subject of oil filters has been covered somewhat extensively here. Do a search on oil filters in this topic. Still alot of good reading there.<br /><br />I won't use Fram, very low quality. Just cut one apart or do a search on comparisons. There is a difference.

ZmOz

Captain

Originally posted by SS Mayfloat:<br />Just cut one apart
Exactly. That's all anyone needs to do to stop using them, just look inside. :eek:

KRS

Banned

Quote: (walmart has good filters for under 3 bucks) why risk using a Fram?<br /><br />I was just at Walmart... I thought they were all frams? Sounds like I need to change. So those who don't use fram, what do you use?

4poco

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Fram filter ? No Way..... the diff is when oil is cold it bypasses filter element, as oil heats up and flows.. it is then filtered by the paper elements... An oil filter has a plate and spring in the end of it (inside) that lets this oil pass when cold.(thick oil pushes on plate and spring)<br />Fram uses a card board plate.. over time.. the card board collapes and your oil is not ever filtered by paper elements. Wix and Napa filters use a metal plate for by pass. Does this make sense?<br />therfore the metal plate closes when oil heats up.<br />It doesnt collapes like card board .. when you get alittle time, just cut open a fram filter and a used napa filter and notice the diff.<br />If you value your ride, dont compromise your oil filter, its the most important in your oil change !

jimr

Senior Chief Petty Officer

napa gold or wix are one in the same and a good filter are there better? probally we use them in our fleet and don't have any filtration problems.....but everything is serviced regularly. I noticed on my old truck if i used fram I got alot of valve clatter on startup and lower oil pressure that i did not have with wix/napa gold.

KRS

Banned

That does explain the difference in construction, WOW, Fram should have to label their product. Thx for the info on Napa and Wix. Will find those or prolly Bosch (anyone have problem with Bosch?).

LubeDude

Admiral

Yes, I have actually seen two fram filters come apart internally. You could rattle the element around inside. wix, NAPA, Hastings, Donaldson #1. Surprisingly enough, the Super Tech filters from Walmart are not at all bad at any price. Personnaly I use Pure one by purolator.

D

DJ

I ONLY use OEM. No guessing, that way.

RichP1269

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I've been using Wix filters for years and have never had a problem.

ZmOz

Captain

Originally posted by DJ:<br /> I ONLY use OEM. No guessing, that way.
Yep, you just pay more for one made by one of the major filter companies (possibly fram!) with a different paint job. No OEM makes their own filters.

LubeDude

Admiral

Originally posted by ZmOz:<br /> Yep, you just pay more for one made by one of the major filter companies (possibly fram!) with a different paint job. No OEM makes their own filters.
:p Hey OZ, why are we so smart being basically uneducated and all?? :confused:

Black69

Seaman Apprentice

Most classic car guys use Napa or AC. They seem to give the most protection over the others. Several tests have been conducted and Fram usually is at the bottom of the tests.

ZmOz

Captain

Originally posted by LubeDude:<br /> :p Hey OZ, why are we so smart being basically uneducated and all?? :confused:
Just born that way, I guess. :D

pjc

Lieutenant Commander

I use Purolator oil filters, Fram air filters. The Purolator Premium ($6) oil filter is my choice. I change at 3-4K, and use Penzoil 5w30. This is for my '99 F150 V6, 113k miles.<br /><br /> Wife does the Acme Kwikie lube deal for her '97 Lumina 'cause I refuse to change oil in a vehicle that I can't crawl under without a floor jack.