Jeep battery now dead! Recharge at 6 amps 12v or 2 amp 12 v?

ezbtr

Commander
Battery dead from dome light being on s I guess since who knows when? Ive got a charger, should I do 6 amp/12v or 2 amp/12volt? I used to do 24 hr slow 2amp/12 volt for boat batteries. Thx ....grrrrrr

NathanY

Commander
Re: Jeep battery now dead! Recharge at 6 amps 12v or 2 amp 12 v?

6 amp is fine<br />Car batteries dont need a deep charge.

cbnoodles

Chief Petty Officer

Heinz,<br /><br />The slower charge will saturate the battery's cells with voltage more thoroughly because the lower current allows the chemical reaction to take place. A higher current is good for a quick boost if you just need a little extra umph to turn the motor over faster.

ZmOz

Captain

Originally posted by Nate in AR:<br />Car batteries dont need a deep charge.
There's no such thing as a "deep charge".<br /><br />You should use the 2 amp setting for at least 6 hours if it's completely dead...then you can switch to 6 amps if you want.

NathanY

Commander

Should have been more clear. Car batteries do not need a Deep Charge (as in like a slow charge like you would do a trolling motor battery) Deep Charge- Redneck/Fisherman term for a low amperage long charge when you run a deep cycle battery down past 50%-80%. Cars dont need it because they do not cycle low enough to create much sulfide(sp?)on the plates. They also have thinner plates than a deep cycle battery therefore do not take as long to charge as a deep cycle battery. If I were you, I would crank that battery charger up to 50 amps and start the jeep. Let the altenator charge it. By the way, altenators charge at a significantly higher amperage than 2 amps.

NathanY

Commander

Also, just looked at my battery charger manual, it says 2amp is not for completely dead batteries.

ZmOz

Captain

Originally posted by Nate in AR:<br /> Should have been more clear. Car batteries do not need a Deep Charge (as in like a slow charge like you would do a trolling motor battery)<br /><br />Cars dont need it because they do not cycle low enough to create much sulfide(sp?)on the plates. They also have thinner plates than a deep cycle battery therefore do not take as long to charge as a deep cycle battery.
No battery NEEDS a slow charge, ALL batteries will benefit from it. Cars don't NORMALLY cycle the battery at all; however, Heinz has. In doing so it has created more sulfation than would happen on a deep cycle battery. A slow charge is better at removing the sulfation. The thickness of the plates has nothing to do with how long it takes to charge, amp hours are amp hours. If you are not in a hurry a slow charge is best for every type of battery.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Non-boating Tech topic.

one more cast

Captain

... Throw the charger on the dang thing and charge er up. Its just a batterie for crying out loud. My 92 s-10 battery lasted over 10 years and I ran it dead a few times. Just jumped it and let it run for awhile.

ezbtr

Commander

Was so dead it wouldnt jump from F250. Been doin slow charge since last night

eurolarva

Rear Admiral

Heinz you will get a better charge on the battery if you disconnet the ground lead from your car. It could be the battery is so low that it wont come back. My charger manual says if battery is completely dead to start with 2 amp charge then go to high amp charge. Does your charger have a meter on it? If it does when you are on the 6 amp charge the meter is showing you when it is on 6 amp that the charger is throwing out 6 amps and will slowly ramp down to around 0-2 amps when it is done. If it stays at the 6 amp level the battery is toast and time to get another one.

ezbtr

Commander

yup recharged great at slow charge, then fast charge for maybe a few hours, is back in and all good! Even got window fixed, $150 , ouch!

LubeDude

Admiral

Originally posted by ZmOz:<br /> <br /><br />No battery NEEDS a slow charge, ALL batteries will benefit from it. Cars don't NORMALLY cycle the battery at all; however, Heinz has. In doing so it has created more sulfation than would happen on a deep cycle battery. A slow charge is better at removing the sulfation. The thickness of the plates has nothing to do with how long it takes to charge, amp hours are amp hours. If you are not in a hurry a slow charge is best for every type of battery.
Dang ZMOZ, you are darn near as smart as I am on some things. :eek: Good solid advice. :D