• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to remove rounded out hex / allen screw?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to remove rounded out hex / allen screw?

Apart from the usual drill / ezy out (there's a laugh) / tap / heat methods, is there some nifty way of getting a hex / allen screw out when the hex hole has been rounded out and won't take the key? It's a recessed head, the top of which is flush with the part it's holding, so I can't get at it from anywhere except above.We're talking pretty tough steel on a mulcher blade.

Re: How to remove rounded out hex / allen screw?

Got a welder? Weld a bolt to the top of the allen screw and then just wind it out normally.Chris........
    The world takes on a whole new perspective when viewed from 100' below...

1972 Bertram 'Bahia Mar' 20
    2006 Mercruiser 4.3MPI (0W617679) w/Alpha 1 Gen II (0W829301)
    Please don't send service questions in private messages. That's what the forum is for. Messages of thanks, always accepted.
    Member of the month - April 2013. http://www.iboats.com/blog/achris-member-of-the-month/

Comment

ChrisThanks, but I've only got arc. The head is so small that any attempt to weld anything to it will probably just weld the head to the fitting it's holding as well.

Comment

Get a good set of male "star drive" sockets, pick the one just up from the rounded out bolt and hammer it into the hole.
        MM World match fishing champion 2007/2008

Comment

Originally posted by RPJS: Get a good set of male "star drive" sockets, pick the one just up from the rounded out bolt and hammer it into the hole.
          YUP waste of a star head (only 2 bucks) But I just did that last week and it worked.And I thought it was my idea

Comment

DYNAMITE

Comment

Originally posted by crab bait: DYNAMITE
              beat me to it crabby

Comment

Try a prk punch and a hammer.prk a dimple near the edge and then lean the punch so when you tap it it will turn the bolt. Note: prk= P R I C K
                OMC

Comment

Take a dremmel tool and cut a slot in it,then you can use a screwdriver to get it out.

Comment

Originally posted by Fixin: Take a dremmel tool and cut a slot in it,then you can use a screwdriver to get it out.
                    Good idea Fixin, but it should be a carbide bit.

Comment

Originally posted by Boomyal:
                      Originally posted by Fixin: Take a dremmel tool and cut a slot in it,then you can use a screwdriver to get it out.
                      Good idea Fixin, but it should be a carbide bit.
                      I use the little cut off discs,just got to make sure you wear the safety glasses.

Comment

If it's part siezed (and they usually are if the head's mullered)then the p r i c k punch and drift idea's the best. The hammering shocks the threads free quite nicely.

Comment

Originally posted by Nos4r2: If it's part siezed (and they usually are if the head's mullered)then the p r i c k punch and drift idea's the best. The hammering shocks the threads free quite nicely.
                          Along those lines Nos4r2, he could cut the slot head in it then use an impact driver to try to jar it out.Tinkerer has been too busy makin nice to us Yanks so he never said what the fastener was stuck in. If it is aluuminium he should apply some propane heat around the fastener before he goes a beatin on it.

Comment

I work for Allen it's part of Danaher we make millions of screws and bolts under the Holo-Krome name and Keys under the Allen and Craftsman names. Stripping out hex head product is caused by using a inferior over seas product. Our product is made so the tool fails first by heat treating the key to a lower hardness. I see the mechinics use the punch that heads the screws and the bolts hammered in and they use wrench to turn it out. Our made in the USA high performance fasteners are used by OMC, Harley-Davidson, Catapiller, Disneyland, Garrett Turbo's we also made the main turbo shaft,and we were proud to make the lug nuts and windshield bolts for Craig Breedlove's Sprit of America....
                            1974 Wellcraft V-20 CC Steplift/ 1999 150 HP Mercury Bluewater http://www.wellcraftv20.com/gallery/album115
                            1975 Wellcraft V-17 CC Steplift
                            My CW site www.enfieldwargraves.smugmug.com
                            My book I authored http://www.blurb.com/books/1137672

Comment

Those inferior over seas hexhead used on Mercedes Benz come out with a good smack with a drift centered on the head. Tap in the allen and remove. Tapping in torx bit is a good idea also.If I feel one is going to strip, I'll always smack it with a drift first and lightly coat the bit with valve grinding paste and tap it in.

Comment

Working...
                              X