There really is a difference in Optima type batterys.

LubeDude

Admiral
We have had three of the NAPA Exide Optima style batterys fail in about the last 6 months, all of them less than a year old. The Battery exchange where I have them tested said that the Exide batterys are probably the worst batterys they get in. Two in boats, and one in a Porsche. Nothing but Optimas from now on. Well, Money is no object you know. We have had Optimas last anywhere from 8-10 years. Actually the Optima that is in the Elcamino is one we replaced just because, and it is 7 years old or so. It is still working great.

crab bait

Captain
Re: There really is a difference in Optima type batterys.

i guess my 2 brandname 'OPTIMA's was made by 'Excide',then i guess..

LubeDude

Admiral

Originally posted by crab bait:<br /> i guess my 2 brandname 'OPTIMA's was made by 'Excide',then i guess..
I dont understand what you are saying. :confused: :confused:

crab bait

Captain

the 2 worst batterys i ever had.. cause of no vents,, charging voltage window is to narrow for regular charging apporati.. <br /><br />in other words optima vaccums..

Sea Six

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Funny you should say that. Car people seem to love Optimas, and boat people hate them. I've always used a good lead acid battery and kept it on a battery tender, it lasts just as long as the big buck batteries for half the price.

D

DJ

The Optima does seem to have a low tolerance for large charging voltage swings. Like some boats seems to do.<br /><br />They work very well in severe service automotive applications.

imstillatwork

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Best car battery I have ever had. 20 degrees for a week of no use in portland, or and perfect starts. never had a problem with an optima - never used an uptima deep cycle.

speedwrench

Petty Officer 2nd Class

First Optima lasted 3 months, warranty replacement was much better, it lasted almost 4 1/2 months.<br />Both times bailed out by 3+ year old Auto Zone $29.95 spare. Can you say overpriced and under performing?<br /><br />Dave