Sirius radio advice

BiXLL

Petty Officer 1st Class
I drive a truck at night, and have decided I would like a plug and play system so that I can easily change from "big truck" to pickup, or boat. I have been researching the best I can, and think I want the JVC 700 KT-SR1000. Does anybody have this that can comment on it, or perhaps guide me to a better selection for my intended use?

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Re: Sirius radio advice

Crutchfield has always been a great resource for comparing models. They also have great explanations as to what all the features really mean in the real world, and their practicality, or not, for your needs.<br /><br />They usually have good prices too.<br /><br />Check em out, satellite radio section is listed on the lefthand side of this page: <br /><br /> http://www.crutchfield.com/S-S5rFPMciQVE/

PierBridge

Chief Petty Officer

Originally posted by BiXLL:<br /> I drive a truck at night, and have decided I would like a plug and play system so that I can easily change from "big truck" to pickup, or boat. I have been researching the best I can, and think I want the JVC 700 KT-SR1000. Does anybody have this that can comment on it, or perhaps guide me to a better selection for my intended use?
Here are a couple of links to help you decide.<br /><br />I do not like the jvc it's big and ugly and the backlighting is poor, the new jvc is a little better and there is no boombox for the jvc I have the Audiovox pnp 2 which is way more popular and user friendly.It looks like you can get the pnp 3's for the same price as the pnp 2's"your jvc and my audiovox" <br /><br />Here is a good selection of units.<br /> http://www.sirius.com/servlet/ContentServer?pagename=Sirius/CachedPage&c=Gateway&cid=1066857398016 <br />And here is a very good Sirius site.<br /> http://www.siriusbackstage.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=6&sid=97295528ac165cd9ad7cd380fd58387c <br /><br />Whatever you decide on you will love it.... :)

BiXLL

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for the replies guys. I found the krutchfield site very informative. After going to Circuit City and actually looking at the Jvc, I decided it is much too large a unit. Almost makes me want to go to XM, as they have many small units to choose from. I am now leaning to the new model, The Sportster. ggoody, what does "pnp 2" and "pnp 3" mean? :eek:

PierBridge

Chief Petty Officer

\ I am now leaning to the new model, The Sportster. ggoody, what does "pnp 2" and "pnp 3" mean? :eek: [/QB]
The Sportster is a great choice.<br /><br />PNP 3 is a newer version or model then PNP2<br /><br />Any thing you want to know about Sirius...Everything from the best deals to self instalation of the units.<br /> http://www.siriusbackstage.com/forum/index.php

BiXLL

Petty Officer 1st Class

The sportster is a PNP 3 then? Thanks for your help.

BQMatt

Cadet

FWIW,I have the Sirius Audiovox unit that comes with many of the specials. Yes, it's big and clunky, but the car unit does have an FM modulator built in, and it works very well. <br /><br />On the other hand I use my brother's XM on our boat, and it is a much moree attractive unit. We did have to install a hard wired FM modulator, and it too does a great job.<br /><br />Programmming was a moajor consideration for me. Sirius has NFL, XM doesn't. Also, if you're a NCAA football fan, you may want to check out which system carries your teams. My brother and I seem to get different games. I get lots of Big 12 (conference I follow most), and he seems to get many games from other conferences.<br /><br />As far as music, I like both systems. <br /><br />Just my 2 cents.

BiXLL

Petty Officer 1st Class

After much research, and thinking about my situation, I have decided to go with XM, and the Skifi 2 unit. With driving truck at night, I will really like getting all the major league baseball. I also like their talk line up, many of their hosts I all ready know. The Skifi 2 has the newest, most updated FM modulater that supposedly rivals a hard wire system. Then there is always the fact that XM is about $4.00 cheaper a month. Sirius does offer a bit more sports options, but I don't like hockey, basketball, or collage sports, so they would be wasted on me. I am fairly confident this will be the best choice for me. Thanks for all your input.

PierBridge

Chief Petty Officer

Good choice your going to love it.<br /><br />Oh, the FM modulator will not be anything near a hard wired unit's sound. If you have a cassete player in your rig that would improve the sound over the fm modulator.

BiXLL

Petty Officer 1st Class

all the reviews I have read say that the fm modulater in the skifi 2 is almost identicle to hardwire. They came a long way with it!

KaGee

Admiral

SIRIUS was on shaky ground not too long ago. I don't know where they came up with the big bucks lately to sign up Stern and a couple others. <br /><br />XM has the backing of General Motors so I don't think you will have to worry about the radio being junk due to loss of service.