Chimney Creosote

DC698

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Chimney Creosote

SteamMill, If its not too hard to get on your roof and not too tall, then you should be able to clean it yourself. Go to your local home store or fireplace shop and pick up some fiberglass rods and the proper sized steel brush and go to it. Have a shop vac. with a good hepa filter in it, running while you clean it so you dont dust your interior. When I clean, I use a much larger vacuum, but for the DIY'er that should work fine. And replace the black stove pipe ASAP also. You may have to buy a set of sheet metal crimpers and sheet metal shears if you dont already have them. And I would recommend no less than 24 gauge black stove pipe. <br /><br />One More Cast -- 24 Cords?!?!Was that a type-o?? WOW! Thats incredible! And with only that small of a chimney!?! 6"x8' ?? I can't believe it didnt get plugged up on you more! Or better yet, I cant believe it drafted properly for you at only 8 ft!

one more cast

Captain
Re: Chimney Creosote

DC698, 24 face cords (4'x8'x16") Thats running the stove from September through April. 8' of triple wall stainless plus about 3' of black inside. The plugging happened on the top foot or so. Wood was the only heat I had for a few years and the stove I had at first was too big so I had to choke it back.once I got the proper sized stove the problem was lessened alot. The heat was great but the amount of work involved was not.