Fram oil filter,YUK!!!

LubeDude

Admiral
Drained the initial startup oil today and removed the filter! Total time on the filter was less than 20 miles! Noticed something funny when I removed it, it felt loose inside! I cut it apart and it looked like someone had squeezed it in the middle, the pletes in the filter material were wrinkled and it wasnt sealing top to bottom!! The filter material was just flopping around in the can!! :eek: :eek: I guess all the bad rap Fram has had is true!!! This was an Extra Guard!<br /><br />Anyone else had and other brand of filter go bad??<br /><br />I usually use Wix, Hastings, or Pure One!

Elmer Fudge

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Fram oil filter,YUK!!!

Yep! i've had a fram go bad once a few years back,then i started using STP oil filters, but a buddie of mine turned me on to Bosch and i've been happy with those. Something to do with microns, i don't really understand the science of it all,but i would like to hear some more on the subject.

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

I have never personally had any Fram problems, but that may be because I have heard so many bad stories, similar to Ludedudes, that I try to avoid them altogether...

SlowlySinking

Master Chief Petty Officer

The micron rating (one micron=one millionth of an inch) basically refers to the size of particles that the filter will pass and stop. Consumer Reports did an excellent in depth evaluation of oil filters back in 1985. As I remember, the best filter will stop dirt particles that are about the same size as the bearing clearances in your engine since they cause most of the wear, larger dirt particles can't pass through the filter, and dirt particles much smaller than the bearing clearance will pass through harmlessly, but you can get too much of a good thing. Back in the 60's one company sold an oil filter that used a roll of toilet paper for the filter element, it was advertised as better that any available oil filter at stopping ALL dirt, and it really did, only problem was that it filtered so well that it stopped the flow of oil additives that protect your engine. :D

bomar76

Lieutenant Commander

Had a Fram filter split back in 1981 on a Monte Carlo we had....side just blew out. I called and complained and they said something had to have hit it and cut it - trouble was is was blown outward. Last of their garbage for me.

pjc

Lieutenant Commander

I use Frams--have for some time--never a problem nor a puked motor as a result of using Frams. Lucky maybe? <br /><br />Any one ever cut a removed filter open to see how much metal is in there. On testing I have done an Oberg type pancake wire mesh filter is used to capture all, depending on micron of mesh, metal and crud. Very amazing what is flushed from a new motor during initial break in. Inspection of filter contents at service intervals can give you a very good idea of whats going on inside the motor. Starting to see lots of steel junk--problems on the way for example.<br /><br />Question, or maybe a comment? <br /><br />I clearly understand that blatent endorsement, promotion of, or advertising of "whatever" via a link, etc is verboten on this board.<br /><br />Would posting negative feedback regarding "whatever" be out of line or expose iboats to some sort of liability?

RatFish

Chief Petty Officer

I used Fram filters for years. At one time, they were good filters but in recent times they have foregone quality to increase sales and profits. You can find Fram filters at just about every large discount store because they are very cheap for the discounters to buy and sell. Remember you get what you pay for. I have read countless stories about people and companies tearing down Fram filters just to find out that they are at the bottom of the barrel with respect to quality. My advice, buy another brand. It's not worth saving a couple of dollars a year. Here are some links to check out. Decide for yourself.<br /><br /> http://www.scuderiaciriani.com/rx7/oil_filter_study/ <br /><br /> http://home.earthlink.net/~memphis3/mercfilters/merc.htm

spike440

Seaman

Fram filters are junk. The more bells and whistles they tack on the outside, the less quality on the inside.

pjc

Lieutenant Commander

thanks for posting the links RatFish-going to abandon Fram--go with AC or Purolator (thats what the local farm & barn stocks. Guess I got lucky all these years.

FLATHEAD

Commander

Wow I always thought Fram was a good filter. Have one on my truck right now. It will be the last one that is ever on it.

tylerin

Commander

Once in Auto shop class in High school we cut open about 10 dif. filters. After thoroughly inspecting all of them with a fine tooth comb our conclusion was that K-Mart made the best filter out there. Over 20 years ago and remember we were all about 17

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

This might sound strange, but I choose my filter by its physical weight. The heavier the filter, usually equals more filtering capacity. <br /><br />I once used Hastings/Casite filters. They were a major manufacture of bearings and some other parts. I figured if they made a filter to protect their bearings, it had to be good. Cut away models did in fact showed 3 different filter medias for increased micron filtration.<br /><br />But I learned from my dad in the late 60's that FRAM was junk.....SS

pjc

Lieutenant Commander

how about Fram air filters??????????<br /><br />any thoughts????

neumanns

Lieutenant Commander

WOW... A subject that I have never gave much thought too......Until now. I see the error of my ways. I wil pay much closer attention now. And I also know more about oil filters than I had ever dreamed I would.

Elmer Fudge

Lieutenant Commander

Ain't it amazing what you can find out when the tests are done by someone with no axe to grind.<br />It leaves me to wonder as to where the folks at JD Power,Car and Driver and the rest of those supposedly knowledgable endorsers get their information from?

Wingnutt

Petty Officer 1st Class

A few months ago I ran across an independant study on oil & filters. It had pages and pages of detailed findings. The bottom line, AC Delco, WIX and Hastings were at the top of the heap. Bosch filters scored pretty good landing in the upper third of the pack. Fram and STP were last on the quality list. Fram USED to make a good filter way back when until corporate greed took over. I've personnaly lost one motor to a crappy Fram filter (the case split down the side) and my brother (who makes a living as a mechanic) lost the motor in his Ranger when the filter media disentagrated and stopped up the oil passages in the motor a year earlier. We both called Fram to bieotch and we were both told that WE did something that caused thier filter to fail. In other words they were telling us that they weren't gonna do a d*mn thing. Since then I will NEVER buy a Fram product much less use them on one of my vehicles and will tell anyone who will listen what a peice of crap thier products are. :mad: