Libre Office 5.3 Default File Types?

JoLin

Vice Admiral
At the suggestion of couple of people here, I'm trying to move from OpenOffice to LibreOffice. I downloaded the software and have a question...

In OpenOffice, for each application (Writer, Calc, etc.) I could specify that all documents created in that application, be automatically saved as an MS-Office compatible file with the correct extension ('.doc', '.xls', etc.). I don't see a way to do that in LibreOffice. Appears I have to specify it whenever I create/save a new file.

Am I missing something? My documentation needs are really simple. Libre works okay, but so did OpenOffice. I really like the OpenOffice feature above.

My .02

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
When you open an MS-Office file type and go to save when finished working with it, the only save option is Save As. The Save As window will have the original File Type as the default File Type so it is saved in the original format. So you only need to specify an MS-Office file type at the the first save.

If you are creating new files, use Save As to specify the MS-Office file type after creation.

I think that's what you want to do for a default file type or it's as close as you can get with Libre.

bigdee

Commander
Choose tools menu-options-libre office general-and then select the box “"Use LibreOffice dialogs in the open/save dialogs area".

bigdee

Commander
Also from the tool-options menu select load/save-general-then select whatever default file format you like. It will always save to that default.

GA_Boater

Teach an old, make that real old, dog new tricks. Thanks, Big.

Of course I'll have forgotten by the time I try to use it next time. :doh:

JoLin

Vice Admiral
Also from the tool-options menu select load/save-general-then select whatever default file format you like. It will always save to that default.

I've already been there and checked it out. But I don't want to save every document as one specific file type. If I specify a Windows ".doc" as my default, what happens when I save a Calc file? I want that to default to ".xls", but there's no place to specify that in Libre

As for 'save as', yeah,I know that one. That's the common way to manipulate a file in ANY app.

My .02

GA_Boater

I've already been there and checked it out. But I don't want to save every document as one specific file type. If I specify a Windows ".doc" as my default, what happens when I save a Calc file? I want that to default to ".xls", but there's no place to specify that in Libre

As for 'save as', yeah,I know that one. That's the common way to manipulate a file in ANY app.

My .02

I looked at bigdee's direction and you can specify .xls for Spreadsheets. Save As is the only option, but is defaulted to .xls after changing to Excel 97/200/XP/2003.
calc.PNG

bigdee

Commander
You have to repeat that process when calc is open to setup a default just like you did in office writer.

JoLin

Vice Admiral
Duh!

Thanks guys! As usual, I didn't look closely enough at every drop-down. Same reason I don't like to use 'save as'- I sometimes save it before I've set everything up the way I want it. :facepalm:

Problem solved.

My .02