internet

tbird175

Petty Officer 1st Class
Have not posted in a while. I have two questions. First when I logged in this morning my mozella firefox browser said that the log in page is not secure, is this true? The second is what is the best browser to use with windows 7? I am having some problems using firefox.

southkogs

Staff member
What you saw was from Firefox. I don't get that message with Chrome or Safari, but I do get it with Firefox. The site is "secure" in as much as a forum needs to be ... I wouldn't store your bank account information here ;)

When I was running Windows 7, I was still okay with whatever version of MS Explorer was running then for most things I did. I don't care for the new one they have in Windows 10 (Edge, I think), so I run Google Chrome there. Most of the time on the Mac I'm running Safari. Firefox and I have never gotten along - though, I do use it sometimes.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Mozilla will give you that warning for all non HTTPS for FTPS sites.

make sure you are using the latest firefox version (unless you are on XP, then you are stuck with 38.0 as the latest you can run). also, clear your cache

I run firefox on 5 different machines and do not have a problem.

now if you experience the "waiting" or "working" thing at the top of the screen when you post, simply hit F5. its a VB5 issue with the iboats forums.

Bayou Dave

Lieutenant Commander
Mozilla will give you that warning for all non HTTPS for FTPS sites.

make sure you are using the latest firefox version (unless you are on XP, then you are stuck with 38.0 as the latest you can run). also, clear your cache

I run firefox on 5 different machines and do not have a problem.

now if you experience the "waiting" or "working" thing at the top of the screen when you post, simply hit F5. its a VB5 issue with the iboats forums.

I am still using XP and have Firefox ver 52.5.0.

Bayou Dave

Lieutenant Commander
how did you get XP to play nice with FF 52.5? I keep getting a stability issue, so I back-dated to 38

The ver I have is 52.5.0 ESR. Is that what you tried? [h=2]"Version 52.5.0, first offered to ESR channel users on November 14, 2017"[/h]

WIMUSKY

Staff member
The latest version for FF is 57.0. Good ? about security....

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Have not posted in a while. I have two questions. First when I logged in this morning my mozella firefox browser said that the log in page is not secure, is this true? The second is what is the best browser to use with windows 7? I am having some problems using firefox.

Firefox got a a hair crosswise a few versions ago and FF choose what's the best method for security for all sites. A forum searchable via any search engine doesn't need super security and that's why we advise members to avoid using identifiable personal info. Ignore the security message and log in as normal.

If you see the message when accessing your bank or any other site where you spend money - You or the site has a problem.

As stated earlier, the current Firefox version is 57.0 and it works on Windows 7 and above. What problems are you encountering and are they only in this forum?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
The ver I have is 52.5.0 ESR. Is that what you tried? [h=2]"Version 52.5.0, first offered to ESR channel users on November 14, 2017"[/h]

I quit trying to update the XP machine about a year ago. I think it was version 46 or so. will have to try the ESR version.

tbird175

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thanks for all the replies. Ga-boater, I am having some problems in places other than i-boats. I may need to reload 7, it has been installed for a good while.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Thanks for all the replies. Ga-boater, I am having some problems in places other than i-boats. I may need to reload 7, it has been installed for a good while.

If you have to reload, why not jump to Win10? They're supposed to be similar. Although, I've never used 7....

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
I run Firefox with Windows 7 Pro (laptop) and Windows 10 (desktop) with no problems

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
If you have to reload, why not jump to Win10? They're supposed to be similar. Al 7....
Windows 7 and 10 are about as similar as left and right. Hate Windows 10 with a passion. Thinking about going back to 7

WIMUSKY

Staff member
That was the big thing about going from 8.1 to 10 it was to make it more user friendly like 7. As mentioned, I've never used 7, I jump from XP to 8 then 10. I was fine with all of them....

tbird175

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have tried 10 on other machines, not really pleased with it. I will probably use 7 as long as I can. I am just trying to decide which is the best browser and anti virus to use on my old Dell Optiplex 755. 7 has been working good until the last few weeks. It is becoming slower and slower. I am using avast for virus protection.

southkogs

Staff member
7 was a good OS and I liked it. 8 was different, unstable and messy. I never liked it, and only ran it for a very little while. 10 is different, but it seems to be a good solid OS. Once you get used to it, it's not messy like 8 was.

When machines are running slower - and all other things are equal (hardware, OS, anti-virus, adware, etc.) - I like to reinstall the OS. Basically reset the machine and get everything back to it's baseline. I go as far as to reformat the drive and start from the bottom up, and that usually makes things run faster.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
U can also do a disk cleanup and defrag. That seems to help performance a lot. Run malwarebytes, if it finds any files, remove them..... U can download a free version of the software...... FWIW, I use Webroot for my security. Make sure you shutdown Windows Firewall etc. Systems don't like multiple virus protection software running at the same time.....

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
That was the big thing about going from 8.1 to 10 it was to make it more user friendly like 7. As mentioned, I've never used 7, I jump from XP to 8 then 10. I was fine with all of them....
never ran Windows 8, went from XP to Windows 7. The more I use Windows 10 the more I hate it. Maybe better/easier for someone with limited experiance but they dumbed it down and buried most of the advanced controls. I was shocked at the number of applications running in the background and the amount of data being sent off site. It shouldn?t take a new I5 with 12 gigs of ram on a 100 mps connection 10-15 seconds to load a web browser.

Forget the mail handler. Doesn?t support Verizon without setting up a Microsoft mail account first.