Heat Pump Issue

alldodge

Staff member
Starting to get a house ready for rent and has not been lived in for about 3 years. Has a 2 1/2 heat pump by Rheem. When placed in heat, the electric coils turn on but the outside unit does not. The thermostat lights up AUX on the panel. If I go to cool, outside unit turns on and unit works as it should.

So something is not turn power on to the outside unit. Looking for troubleshooting methods

alldodge

Staff member
Electronic, and the AUX light is top left of the display

Photo1358.jpg

alldodge

Staff member
Info which may help
Inside unit RHSA-HM3017JA
Outside unit RPNE-030JAZ

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
does your outside unit have a reversing valve?

is your thermostat programmed correctly? you should be able to pick the heat pump for the heat cycle and use the aux for the emergency heat.

alldodge

Staff member
does your outside unit have a reversing valve?

is your thermostat programmed correctly? you should be able to pick the heat pump for the heat cycle and use the aux for the emergency heat.

Not an expert, but a heat pump has a reversing valve, otherwise it would only be an AC , right?
The emergency heat should only be activated when time does not bring a heat increase over a given predetermined length of time, or if there is a call for heat which is greater then maybe 3 degrees.

Thermostat is not programmable

Scott Danforth

Staff member
correct. heat pumps have a reversing valve

regarding the t-stat is it the pro 500 or pro 520? there should be a heat pump / conventional switch on it. make sure its on heat pump

I have been searching for the protech manuals, however no-go

wiring is standard.

if you disconnect the white wire, the aux heat should stop.

heat-pump-thermostat-wiring-diagram.jpg

alldodge

Staff member
I'm sure the wiring has not changed. My guess is a relay is not engaging but don't know which. This is probably the reason the outside unit will not turn on? Just trying to figure out how to troubleshoot

dwco5051

Commander
Since it will run in cool mode about 90% of the things that could be bad can be eliminated. My suspicions would be the thermostat first. Bad stat maybe, wiring between stat and outdoor unit second.

bigdee

Commander
Since it will run in cool mode about 90% of the things that could be bad can be eliminated. My suspicions would be the thermostat first. Bad stat maybe, wiring between stat and outdoor unit second.
x2....or bad defrost board. Compressor comes on in AC mode so that rules out wiring between thermostat and unit. My 1st choice of logic would be thermostat since yellow wire is compressor. Are you sure compressor is running in AC mode?

alldodge

Staff member
Could pic up another Thermostat and give a go. Didn't let the AC run very long so not real sure the compressor is running.

bigdee

Commander
Could pic up another Thermostat and give a go. Didn't let the AC run very long so not real sure the compressor is running.

verify compressor running first. Also, how long did you run it in heat mode? There is a 5 minute lock-out on compressor re-starts. My advice; try it again and let it run at least 5 minutes.....also defrost on that model is temperature/run time based and there is a delay period after defrost before compressor re-starts.

alldodge

Staff member
It either got confused or just doing the way I did it, made it happen. Right now its appears to be working. I did go and hand twist all the wire nuts and buttoned it inside unit back up.

Turned heat on, increase to one degree above where it was and heat came on without the AUX light. Outside the unit was running. Let it run until it shut it self off, which was 1 degree higher then I had it set.

Turned the stat down to 58 and will watch it for a day or so. If it continues to be OK I'll turn the water on and check for leaks

Thanks

Tnstratofam

Commander
Electronic, and the AUX light is top left of the display

Alldodge that is a digital thermostat, but the system and fan switch have mechanical contacts. It could be where it has sat unused for so long the switch contacts were dirty. By moving the system switch from heat to cool to eheat you may have cleared the problem.

Also if the thermostat relies on battery power be sure to put fresh batteries in. I have lots of service calls with thermostat issues that stem from old batteries or from sitting for long periods with no use.

alldodge

Staff member
Alldodge that is a digital thermostat, but the system and fan switch have mechanical contacts. It could be where it has sat unused for so long the switch contacts were dirty. By moving the system switch from heat to cool to eheat you may have cleared the problem.

Also if the thermostat relies on battery power be sure to put fresh batteries in. I have lots of service calls with thermostat issues that stem from old batteries or from sitting for long periods with no use.

Thanks for the input and will look a bit further, but I've never found a straight non-programmable thermostat that uses batteries, but will look for sure

Scott Danforth

Staff member
I have a Honeywell 7 day, 4 settings per day programable heat pump thermostat that also has 3 AA batteries. I got it 9 years ago from lowes for $50. Other than it reading 4 degrees off of reality (after the 2 degree offset). Its been bullet proof until the admiral plays with it and resets the programming

alldodge

Staff member
Thanks for the post, I forgot all about responding to the bat comment. Did have a look and it uses no batteries

There is several folks with programmable stats, including Mom which love them, me I don't care for them. Also with an electric heat pump and coil backup, you don't want your heat raised more then 2 degrees at on time (some 1 degree) because the coils turn on.

Tnstratofam

Commander
After I looked at the brand I kind of figured the Protech stat didn't take batteries. The newer programmable thermostats that have smart recovery will prevent the strip heaters from coming on during recovery on a heat pump with electric backup heat in most cases. However unless you have a set time each day when no one is home setting your temps back to save money is aggravating.

I tell my customers that to make setting your temps back worthwhile you should do it for 4 hours minimum. Otherwise leaving the temp on the same setting all day is good.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
I would find a different t-stat. The strip heaters should not go on unless you have emergency heat selected

alldodge

Staff member
I tell my customers that to make setting your temps back worthwhile you should do it for 4 hours minimum. Otherwise leaving the temp on the same setting all day is good.

Even when I had natural gas for heat and high efficiency AC , I never wanted a programmable stat. Set 68 winter and 74 summer, never open windows. Current Honeywell stat has a auto setting so it shifts from heat to cool without touching it.

I would find a different t-stat. The strip heaters should not go on unless you have emergency heat selected

Incorrect, they come on when heat change is more then 2 degrees or when manual over ride is used, or Now appears when heat pump does not turn on. Other then the last on, my all electric heat pumps have always operated as stated.