'97 Cadillac Sedan Deville - Security system preventing car from starting...

generator12

Senior Chief Petty Officer
A friend of mine has a '97 Caddie that is essentially defunct. When he tries to start it the engine turns over but won't start. A light tells him that the vehicle anti-theft system is preventing it. The car has been down for over a week.

(Aside: The poor guy is recovering from cancer treatments and has no capacity to deal with this kind of nonsense. He's had Cadillac service people involved and they are unable to help. I think we all understand that some excellent mechanics sometimes come up blank when dealing with electronic issues.)

I'm wondering if anyone on this board has dealt with, and defeated, this type of problem. A look on-line discloses that it's not all that rare with GM systems. If you've experienced this, I would highly appreciate hearing from you with a description of any steps you took which solved the problem.

Thanks in advance friends.

BRL2307

Cadet
My wife's Oldsmobile Alero had the same issue. Method 2 in AllDodge's response worked for us. Leave the key in the ignition for 10 to 15 minutes in run.

Bayou Dave

Lieutenant Commander
Try disconnecting the battery for a few minutes. It might reboot the system when you coneect the cables again.