Propane Regulator Outlet Size Reduction

lncoop

Vice Admiral
I have a four burner camp stove that has been giving me problems. The last few times I've used it I've completely lost flow to the burners. I was able to restore flow by connecting both ends (hose and burner connections), opening the valve on the bottle only for a bit then eventually turning on and lighting the burners. On the last trip the stove worked fine until the final morning when I couldn't get any flow even after trying my usual reset trick. Last night I removed the regulator from the hose assembly and confirmed the bottle and hose are both good by activating the valve on the bottle and allowing propane to flow through both fittings on the end of the hose (stove has two inlets) for a substantial amount of time, so at this point I can't think of anything else it could be but the regulator. Correct?

Here's the rub. The OEM regulator has a standard inlet, but the outlet hose has a small male end that screws into the outlet of the regulator. Stansport no longer offers the stove or parts for it. This is was the closest I could find, so I had to add a 1/4 by 1/8 bushing to make it work. Will reducing it cause any problems? Pic of the OEM hose and regulator included for reference.
shopping
images

jimbo_jwc

Ship Happens
The new ones are rated to lock out if the flow exceeds using the most as if all burners on high . The hose breaks and free flows it shuts of the regulator . There is a procedure to reset and will work again .

lncoop

Vice Admiral
The new ones are rated to lock out if the flow exceeds using the most as if all burners on high . The hose breaks and free flows it shuts of the regulator . There is a procedure to reset and will work again .

Thanks Jimbo. I've used the reset procedure several times but that no longer resolves the issue. That's why I'm replacing the regulator.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
I would almost bet you the regulator diaphragm has a hole in it, I used to see that all the time when I was helping out my buddy at his RV shop, especially when it started to get colder outside, also living where I do, we are at altitude all of the time and it seems to wear them out quicker.

lncoop

Vice Admiral
Whatever the problem was the replacement regulator solved it and then some. Now I have to resist the temptation to open the burners up to space shuttle launch level.:eek: