Did I mention I hate log homes

alldodge

Staff member
Buddy of mine has a log home and is trying to get it back so it can be stained every 2 to 3 years. So we have been stripping and sanding for weeks. Doing all this IMO is crap. He never wanted a log home but wound up with one because the wife wanted it.

Did I mention I hate log homes

So after weeks of work, he started spraying bleach and then the plan was to wash down and then Borax, then again wash down before starting to stain. So he found that some white stuff showed up during bleaching and instead of washing, he power washed. Well the power wash blew the caulking we did was blown out and now needs more sanding

DID I MENTION I HATE LOG HOMES

Found out we cannot paint the logs because the logs will rot because the paint does not breath, but stain does. Thought about putting siding up, but there are issues with that with insects, mice and other things. Also we both thought about Jewish lighting (no slam really just a term, of woops did I do that) but not going that route. Does anyone have any ideas of the easiest way to protect the home with least maintenance?

HATE LOG HOMES incase I didn't mention it

82rude

Rear Admiral
Let me get this correctly,your saying you hate log homes?:lol: on my cedarstrip wood boat on the inside floor etc i sprayed the interior with a sealer/stain.It worked great for many years.I used a name brand gallon not cheap stuff.Inside of boat was cedar and white oak.

Last edited:

robert graham

Admiral
I have seen folks spray a natural wood structure with automatic transmission fluid which penetrates, protects and provides a nice reddish color....just an idea..

82rude

Rear Admiral
Wonder if you sent an email to Pioneer Log Homes (timber kings on tv) if they would give you direction.

alldodge

Staff member
Let me get this correctly,your saying you hate log homes?:lol: on my cedarstrip wood boat on the inside floor etc i sprayed the interior with a sealer/stain.It worked great for many years.I used a name brand gallon not cheap stuff.Inside of boat was cedar and white oak.

Not my home, no way I would have it, just only friend he has gullible enough to help :facepalm: he is a good guy and just trying to please his wife.

I have seen folks spray a natural wood structure with automatic transmission fluid which penetrates, protects and provides a nice reddish color....just an idea..

Have not seen that but will mention it

Wonder if you sent an email to Pioneer Log Homes (timber kings on tv) if they would give you direction.

These are Honest Abe homes and they say it must be stained. You tube vid and other post says the logs have to be able to breath or they will rot, inside out. Siding can be applied but need to be done so things will stay out

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Needs to be a oil based protective, we have lots of log homes around here and some of them are over a hundred years old

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
It?s the $rap wood they use now days....

I grew up in a rare, 2 story log cabin. Built in the late 1700?s using local chestnut. It was white washed at one time but no preservative. Has gone 300 years w/o paint or preservatives.

We have a log barn on our property built about the same time as my childhood home. It is chestnut as well. No rot problem here either.

alldodge

Staff member
Oil base would seal the pours of the Pine logs, and they say this is where the problem is. Pine needs to breath where hard woods would not

Chestnut wood was always a prize wood, only issue now is there are very few trees still growing in the country if not the world. At least this what my findings have been

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
My buddy owns a pressure washer store. They have a whole system for bleaching, cleaning, and staining a log home or a fence all in one day.

His place is in Atlanta

alldodge

Staff member
My buddy owns a pressure washer store. They have a whole system for bleaching, cleaning, and staining a log home or a fence all in one day.

His place is in Atlanta

There are many things out on the net saying that doing that looks great for a while then turns real bad years latter. Not saying that this would not work, but from what we are both finding, it will not

If he has a web site send a link

There is another guy which does work for the owner of Honest Abe homes and he blast the logs with nut shells, then re-stains. The issue is its 20K for the work

82rude

Rear Admiral
It’s the $rap wood they use now days....

I grew up in a rare, 2 story log cabin. Built in the late 1700’s using local chestnut. It was white washed at one time but no preservative. Has gone 300 years w/o paint or preservatives.

We have a log barn on our property built about the same time as my childhood home. It is chestnut as well. No rot problem here either.

Not bad for age.My brother lives in a home in England thats older than the first settlers to U.S.A. or about the same time.Believe it or not its actually on an estate with a giant manor house and lord!

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Not bad for age.My brother lives in a home in England thats older than the first settlers to U.S.A. or about the same time.Believe it or not its actually on an estate with a giant manor house and lord!
I worked for a company based in the UK for a number of years. The hotel I stayed in all the time was built in 1351. The home of a dear friend who lives in Wales was built around 1200, or so he claims.

dwco5051

Commander
Buddy of mine has a log home and is trying to get it back so it can be stained every 2 to 3 years. So we have been stripping and sanding for weeks. Doing all this IMO is crap.

Blasting with ground corn cobs media is what I have seen used when the surface is really bad. Have seen some homes that were almost black brought back to life with that process. I use Perma-Chink products and have been more than happy with them on my home.

I love my log home!

168443_1374191077159_8006539_n[1].jpg

alldodge

Staff member
Yours looks real nice, look like the smaller logs. Buddy house has logs which are about a foot wide. The guy that gave him the 20K price was going to use corn cob to blast or something like that.

Will say, I like looking at them, just would never own one.
Have a wood sided house just bought last year with 24 acres. It needs painted, but think I'm going to install vinyl siding. Thinking about turning it into a rental

Photo1113.jpg

This is my house, brick, just installed new steps

Photo1293.jpg

jimbo_jwc

Ship Happens
Its the same way I felt after building a A Frame two story in the woods . Spiral stairs mistake , Flat top roof mistake , not clearing trees far enough away mistake . Had to rake leaves away constantly for fire hazard ,moss all over the shingles , Golden slugs all over but let kids skill up with low powered bb gun and now they are all excellent marksman and not scared of being in the woods after dark oh my .

garbageguy

Lieutenant Commander
.... Does anyone have any ideas of the easiest way to protect the home with least maintenance?

If someone has the answer, please do share.

Of the houses I've had, the vinyl siding, so far, is the least maintenance (except for parts that are brick) - of the large parts of siding you can see.

The Admiral here likes the look of log homes too. I will remember this discussion if she ever pushes the issue

southkogs

Staff member
Man, I love the look of log - especially the timber frame style, or the dove tail joints. But, I've been in brick for the last 20 years ... and I really like the low maintenance. I've considered hardie board siding, but I only have a little bit of vinyl that I need to keep up with.