Submersible well pump

bigdee

Commander
Has anyone had any experience with Hallmark well pumps? My 200' well has a cheap pump (water ace) that has been down there for about 12 years. I cannot afford to be out of water and wanted a (cheap) spare pump on hand just in case pump goes out on a weekend or holiday. I bought one of these Hallmark pumps 1 hp for $159 for an emergency situation if current pump quits. I used my generator to test the hallmark pump this morning to make sure it was ok and was surprised how heavy and how well it looked (stainless steel). The reviews are favorable but the oldest review was 4 years so not sure about longevity.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
My last Hallmark lasted from 1971 to 2002 and was still going when I had it replaced, I have never had any problems with it, the only reason we replaced it was because we had to replace all of the pipe going down to where I pump is placed which is over 400 feet, the well had galvanized pipe that had developed holes after such a long time, so we figured if we had to pull it out, we might as well replace the pump at the same time. The pump companies seem to buy each other up all the time, then they sell and the names get juggled around, but Hallmark has been around for quite a long time.

bigdee

Commander
My last Hallmark lasted from 1971 to 2002 and was still going when I had it replaced, I have never had any problems with it, the only reason we replaced it was because we had to replace all of the pipe going down to where I pump is placed which is over 400 feet, the well had galvanized pipe that had developed holes after such a long time, so we figured if we had to pull it out, we might as well replace the pump at the same time. The pump companies seem to buy each other up all the time, then they sell and the names get juggled around, but Hallmark has been around for quite a long time.

Wow 32 years! My current pump is weak on pressure. It is only 1/2 hp but draws 8 amps and bogs my backup generator. The hallmark is 1 hp and had little effect on generator when i tested it today. Good info MT, I bought the hallmark for a spare but i may make it my primary and use the old pump for a spare.

dolluper

Captain
Install the new one and clean and rebuild the old one for a back why wait be right eh

bigdee

Commander
Install the new one and clean and rebuild the old one for a back why wait be right eh
That is probably what I will do before it gets too cold. I don't think I am able to pull pump by myself....done it last 4 times but I was younger. Going to have to recruit some young help or pull it up with my truck. Would rather pull by hand to protect wire and snubbers every 20 feet.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
I am a member of a 18 home association with 2 (9 homes per ) 130ft wells that have 3hp 40gpm pumps. Last year we replaced the "East" pump and 2" galvanized pipe with a new pump and Sched120 plastic pipe (stainless fittings) .

It was down there for over 20 years and the pipe finally was rusting though. I also replaced the pump with an identical Grundfos 40S30-9

This year, same problem on the "west " well..... the well pipe had rusted though 10-20 ft above the pump and would no longer make rated pressure . I replaced the "West" pump and well pipe with a similar. 3hp 40gpm pump........

Both pumps had been in the hole for over 20 years. I had to have a well pulling guy pull both wells to replace the pipe and pumps. Although both pumps had not actually failed (holes in the pipe) I still replaced the pumps since it cost almost as much to just buy new pumps and motors as the labor involved to R&R the pumps.

Considering how hard it is to pull a 100+ ft well, (yours is 200ft?) I don't think I would "skimp" on a cheap pump!

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Mine is 497 feet and I replaced the pump a few years ago, when we had the original pipe rust out, but the pump didn't need to be replaced when we did it and it is sitting on the shelf in the shop just in case.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
Mine is 497 feet and I replaced the pump a few years ago, when we had the original pipe rust out, but the pump didn't need to be replaced when we did it and it is sitting on the shelf in the shop just in case.

Did you replace the pipe with plastic?

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Did you replace the pipe with plastic?

They sure did, the biggest problem that has developed with the old galvanized pipe is it rusts out and then the pump will run continuously, so anybody that has an old well and you notice your electric bill jump big time, check your well!

We had the original company that drilled the well come out and do the work, but I can now pull the stuff if I need to, I have a set up that I use with the winch on my truck to snake the pipe out of the well.

bigdee

Commander
They sure did, the biggest problem that has developed with the old galvanized pipe is it rusts out and then the pump will run continuously, so anybody that has an old well and you notice your electric bill jump big time, check your well!

We had the original company that drilled the well come out and do the work, but I can now pull the stuff if I need to, I have a set up that I use with the winch on my truck to snake the pipe out of the well.

My well is 205' but pump is down about 140 since static level is 40',yield is 8 gpm... I have ran pump for 2-3 days to fill 20,000 gallon pool. It is not that hard to pull with 2 people. I have pulled it with my truck by laying a 55 gallon drum against well casing but still need extra person to keep wire or pipe from chafing. After 75' is pulled it is easy to finish pulling by hand. Need gloves that polyethylene pipe is slippery! I also have a safety rope tied to pump.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

That schedule 120 plastic pipe is incredible!