Grove MZ66 Manlift Info Post Puzzel

alldodge

Staff member
Well bought this manlift some years ago cheap and ran real well, its just old, I need a manual but cannot find one. This post is what I went thru trying to find out what the issues were. The lift has a 4 cylinder air cooled Wisconsin motor, 12V, GM alternator

Original
Idle is smooth, power is good and ran real well, moved good (some issues not so much but not an issue with this post) no issues

6 months ago
Replaced fuel lines and fuel filter (2nd time)
Changed oil and filter
Replaced battery with AGM Feb/2016

Started up, idle good, get it over to where I let it sit for the summer, and as it approached it started to sputtering and unless I rev'ed it up it would die. Decided it was more then likely a fuel issue. Did notice the amp meter was not moving off zero

Now
Tried to start and battery was dead. Jumped started and had it running, idle was OK but not good. Tried to move it and it was running but not well. It was moving but died on the road not far from parking place. Jumped again and managed to get it back to spot and started checking other things.

Thought it was a carb issue so I filled carb bowl with carb cleaner. Disabled fuel pump, let it sit for a few then tried to start but kept it from starting so cleaner would be pulled thru jets. Jump started it again and things running better but still not good. Gave up for the next few days with ideas of what to do next.

This is what I had to go on, and know what the problem was, just asking what would you do next?

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
The alternator is bad, test it to see of it's charging. If it's not getting enough voltage, it won't run. Is it electronic or points? points could be bad. Remove carb, clean or rebuild. Check the fuel for contamination. Them lofts are pretty handy to have around. Wish I had one.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
A quick google search has manuals available for download https://www.google.com/search?q=Gro...al&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=ubuntu&channel=fs

just like sitting boat stuff goes to he# when it sits, the manlift need maintenance if it sits.
take a sample of the fuel and inspect
take the carb apart. there is no mechanic in a can that can clean the passages of a carb. the carb on a V4 wisconsin has only about 20 parts to it.

alldodge

Staff member
You got part of it Grub, the ALT has gone out but what was the real puzzler is the 1.5 year old AGM was shot. Tested it and it had only 6V and charging it did little. So as long as I had the jumper cables on it, we were better, but when cables removed, it was very little time before it got worst. Took the bat back to Sam's club and it took a couple hours of testing before the machine agreed it was bad and I got another one. Will be pulling the ALT and getting another one

Minnepar has taken over for Grove but all the links are there except the Minnpar one are scam links. They want you to either download a virus or pay some money and get nothing. Would love to find a manual but so far no luck. Need to try to contact Minnpar to see if they have any info.

Agree with no mechanic in a can, but if it was a spec of something inside the seat, this would help. Either way its running good now that I have a new bat in it.

Another hydraulic line started leaking, so going to replace it and two others today.

alldodge

Staff member
Line all in and its running pretty well. The ALT is not charging so going to take it to the starter/Alt shop and see if they can fix it.

Contacted Minnpar and they sent a list of manuals

For the grove manuals there are several options……

9828100020 SERVICE MANUAL-$239.30 2-3 WEEK LEAD TIME-DOES NOT INCLUDE SCHEMATICS
9828100041 PARTS MANUAL-$234.20 2-3 WEEK LEAD TIME
9828100042 PARTS AND SERVICE MANUAL-$394.77 2-3 WEEK LEAD TIME-DOES NOT INCLUDE SCHEMATICS
9828100121 ELEC & HYD SCHEMATIC PACK-$132.50 2-3 WEEK LEAD TIME
9828100063 OPERATOR/SAFETY MANUAL- $65.16 2-3 WEEK LEAD TIME
9828100541 CD CONTAINS (OPERATORS, SAFETY, SERVICE, PARTS AND SCHEMATICS)-$280.00 2-3 WEEK LEAD TIME

All are Model and serial number specific. Are non-cancellable and non-returnable and have a 2 week lead time.

I would like the electrical and asked if all items are identified as what they are and not something like XYZ and need another book to find out the part is a relay. A post on another forum from 2014 stated he spent $500 and the manuals are crud. Don't know his skill set but have seen many schematics that were very hard to read.

Also asked if they know where to find the machine serial number