coleman lanterns

82rude

Rear Admiral
Ok guys what makes a dual fuel coleman lantern?Is it the center fuel rod ? Be a heck of a lot cheaper to use unleaded vs coleman fuel which is outrageous.Certainly dont want to be using an unsafe method but i wonder if a regular lantern can be converted to dual fuel?

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Ok guys what makes a dual fuel coleman lantern?Is it the center fuel rod ? Be a heck of a lot cheaper to use unleaded vs coleman fuel which is outrageous.Certainly dont want to be using an unsafe method but i wonder if a regular lantern can be converted to dual fuel?

Coleman offers a little add on that will allow you to use both fuels in a white gas lantern, I have used one for years now., it was a small two piece brass item that attached to the uptube in the lantern that had to brass screws that held it in place.

bigdee

Commander
I have used white gas in my Coleman lanterns and stoves for over 50 years with no mods. Never had a problem or thought it was unsafe....in fact I did not know there was a modification by Coleman.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
I have used white gas in my Coleman lanterns and stoves for over 50 years with no mods. Never had a problem or thought it was unsafe....in fact I did not know there was a modification by Coleman.

They have been making a duel fuel model for years now, that allows you to use unleaded gas or white gas. In fact, I don't think they make a single fuel model anymore.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
MT do you have a link to the part or a number?

I will do some searching around, they might not even make it anymore, it was a piece that was designed to raise the temp on the fuel going to the mantles, because the unleaded gas requires a higher temp to vaporize.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
Coleman does have "Dual-Fuel" generators for some older lanterns. https://www.coleman.com/generator/226-2991.html Looks like their replacement generator might fit more than 1 type of older lantern.

You can use unleaded fuels in older lanterns but not for long without cleaning the generator a LOT more often. Regular "white" gasoline (nearly pure naphtha) has no additives whatsoever.

The current crop of Mogas's are going to have up to 10% Ethanol (which really shouldn't hurt a vaporizer) and other additives that may not completely vaporize and will leave "crud" behind in the generator that will eventually clog it or the orifice. (the old generators had an orifice cleaner you could "crank" and quickly push a needle through.....I don't think any of the newer ones have this) It's funny, my Austromax has one and I run it on Jet-A1 kerosene and it hasn't clogged yet. I hear if I use diesel, it will clog quicker and my smoke a little.......

Cheers,

Rick

bigdee

Commander
They have been making a duel fuel model for years now, that allows you to use unleaded gas or white gas. In fact, I don't think they make a single fuel model anymore.

I meant to say unleaded....I have always used unleaded gas in my coleman stoves and lanterns

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
bigdee, 'rude wants to run unleaded gas vs whitegas (naptha)

82rude

Rear Admiral
I found that parts list also.Thanks.Fired off a email to coleman to see whats what.

82rude

Rear Admiral
Coleman says no part to convert my lantern to dual fuel.Not a big deal i will buy one off ebay or amazon someday .

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Coleman says no part to convert my lantern to dual fuel.Not a big deal i will buy one off ebay or amazon someday .

I got my last one from a pawn shop for a little over $15.00 a few years ago.

82rude

Rear Admiral
Thats an idea also MTboatguy.Not too big a deal we were just wining up at camp about the cost of coleman fuel vs unleaded gas.Theres always lots of gas at camp.My brother has canuck gas only which according to coleman has extra additives vs american gas which can make a mess out of the lanterns.Me i buy my gas in michigan because im cheap,lol.

Last edited:

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
I pretty much gave my old gasoline lanterns away and bought a couple of propane lanterns. They do work well and with the piezoelectric starters they're pretty convenient. You can even get adapters to fill the small bottles from a 5 gallon propane containers.

(those small 1lb containers aren't very cost effective even though I have bought them for about $2ea on sale off season for 4 or more............but you can easily refill them...)

It's certainly a lot safer to use propane over any gasoline (reg or "white") and it never goes "bad" like regular gasoline. I really like that Austramax kerosene lantern (although it's not cost effective....unless you consider they'll run about 8 hours on 4 cups of kerosene/Jet fuel or diesel!) http://www.oillamps.com.au/presser lamps.htm

My wife surprised me with one she bought for my birthday from Lehmans a couple of years ago..... https://www.lehmans.com/product/aussie-bush-light/

It was "on-sale" for $250 (which I would have never paid .........but you should NEVER return anything your wife buys you, right?)

Cheers,

Rick

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
Where I live kero is not cheap atall.Around 20 bucks a container.

It's very cheap if you know where to buy it!

Just drop over to your local small to medium-sized airport. (NOT the big sprawling one) and ask one of the FBO fuel guys if you can buy 5 gallons of Jet-A (essentially the same stuff) . Most of them are very good at this as long as you bring a container and funnel if needed.

http://www.airnav.com/fuel/report.html

Depends on where you go. The huge airports will be the ones charging ridiculous prices ($6-8 per gallon) and most of them will not want to mess with small amounts going into a small container.........

A great many of smaller airport fuelers will sell Jet A for around the same price as MOGAS on the west coast. $3-4 gallon
(Just find all your airports using http://www.airnav.com/fuel/local.html )

Most smaller airport FBO fuel operators are willing to sell Jet fuel in 5 gallon amounts. You do have to bring your own container.

You also need to either bring a container that has a "wide-mouth" opening (like a "Jeep" can etc or a big funnel because a Jet fuel nozzle is much larger than a regular AVGAS or even MOGAS (autogas) nozzle so you can't put it in a piston engine airplane. (piston engine airplanes experience catastrophic engine failure when fueled with kerosene!)

Regards,

Rick

Last edited:

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Sounds a lot easier to just find a dual fuel lantern at a pawn shop or a yard sale, hell Rude, if I find another one, I will pick it up and send it to you as a sample..sometimes we all way over think things!

:lol: