Smartphone protective screen guard?

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
A short while ago I stepped up to a new Samsung S8 phone. I let the dealer sell me an overpriced screen guard with a lifetime warranty. In a few short weeks I have broken the guard twice. It's one of those warranties where all you pay is shipping and handling to replace it. I am sure that the $9.95 all but covers their cost of replacement. It is Gadget Guard, tempered glass with a curved display.

The first time it broke you could understand. I was sitting in my van with the phone on my lap when I got out of the van. The phone (which also has an Otterbox case) fell a good distance to the ground. It hit on the corner with no damage to the phone but the guard got a crack all the way up through the screen.

The second time I had the phone in my shirt pocket when I bent over to pick something up off the ground. The phone fell out of my pocket about 18". Again the phone was fine but the guard had multiple breaks all across the screen AND it separated entirely from the phone, in the process.

I think this guard is way too tender. Does anyone have any suggestions for a more robust guard brand?

This what I have. http://www.gadgetguard.com/registration/the-black-ice-cornice-edition.html

Last edited:

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I buy the tempered glass screen protectors from the dollar store about 15 of them at a time for the wife's phone. I buy mine off of amazon. keep the phone out of the shirt pocket. if it is in your pants pocket, dont have change in the pocket.

you can get an otter case

southkogs

Staff member
I bought a wallet that doubles as a phone case. The phone screen just has the tempered glass protector on it, and magnets into the wallet. I don't always keep it in my pocket, but then I do it's usually a front pocket.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
A short while ago I stepped up to a new Samsung S8 phone.

I have an ATT Galaxy S-6 Active that is sort of ruggedized already and I put a Blason case on it. It's getting up to about 3 years old and I have been considering the S-8

How do you like it?

Is the S-8 waterproof? ("water-resistant")

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
Atleast a galaxy away. However I do not think it is water repellent/proof.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
Atleast a galaxy away. However I do not think it is water repellent/proof.

The S-3 you mean? The S-8 is touted as being water "resistant" (I don't think there is a water "proof" phone anywhere yet)

ericga

Petty Officer 1st Class
Moshi are extremely resistant and the touch screen maneuverability is amazing. They also reduce fingerprints and clean very easily.

I don't like the Otterbox as I found it affect the call quality and its too bulky. The market is flooded with counterfeit ones so beware.

I have a UAG case with a Moshi screen protector (iphone 6S Plus). The perfect combination for me.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I have an S6 and it is not waterproof. I believe the phones since are My S6 is now in my desk drawer and I will never buy a Samsung phone again. USB circuit card inside failed so I can no longer connect to my PC(not a big deal) but now I can't fast charge my phone. Because the camera lens sticks out so far, it is very susceptible to getting damaged which was the last straw when that happened. I use my phone for depositing checks.

I bought a $230 Moto G5 which is almost as good as the Samsung. I do miss wireless charging though.

I may buy the Google Pixel2.

I never use a screen gaurd. I only buy regular cases. I use the Spigen cases.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
I have an S6 and it is not waterproof. .
The S-6 Active was the first water resistant model....I never did get one of those chargers like you have..........Probably will when I get the S-8, 9 or 10. Gotta wear this S-6 out first though!

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Wireless charging is awesome. Just lay the phone on it. The new iPhones finally have it. May have to go back to an iPhone.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
My wife has an iPhone and I bought her a Macbook Pro. (I wanted to break her MacBook last night when I was using it.......reminded me of why I hate the MAC desktop!)

I have an iPad that the company issued me and I actually like it enough to probably get one when I retire next year. I use FOREFLIGHT on it when I fly my airplane and I have also considered getting an iPhone too......(but I usually get over that pretty quickly!!)

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
Wireless charging is awesome. Just lay the phone on it. The new iPhones finally have it. May have to go back to an iPhone.

Back when Palm was making smartphones and PDAs, they had wireless charging. It was awesome!