Disolving burst battery corrosion?

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
I have an aluminum black anodized LED flashlight that uses a 3 AAA battery carrier. I had to put it in a vice and use channel locks to remove the endcap. The endcap cleaned right up but the 3 battery carrier is glued in to the tube with white corrosion. I thought if I were to immerse the bottom of the flashlight tube in some soluition, it might loosen up the battery carrier so I could get it out.

Any suggestions as to what solution would be most effective?

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Try a heavy baking soda/water mix. Or some CLR.

On some of that type of flashlight, both ends unscrew leaving just the tube.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Baking soda solution, dip it a few times, let it sit, dip a few more times and let it sit, then rinse with cold clear water, it should loosen the white powder up enough to get it out.

Sprig

Chief Petty Officer
You may get the battery carrier out after the baking soda water immersion but I'm pretty sure the +/- contacts are ruined, irreparable. The tiny spring contact on the negative contact is probably disintegrated. I've had this experience before. Plan to get a new flashlight.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Go to harbor freight and get another free flashlight

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
You may get the battery carrier out after the baking soda water immersion but I'm pretty sure the +/- contacts are ruined, irreparable. The tiny spring contact on the negative contact is probably disintegrated. I've had this experience before. Plan to get a new flashlight.

Might be Sprig, but I'd like to take a look see before I have to toss it.

Thanks MT. I thought about that but I did not know if there was something more suitable.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
Got it. Was able to unscrew the end cap on the 3 battery cassette. That exposed the ends of the batteries which I was able to pry out, Then it was easy to pull the rest of the cassette out. Damage was minimal as I had stored the light upside down in the console. A bit of scraping the inside of the barrel with a pen knife, then scouring it with a 1" plumbing fitting brush. I then used a tooth brush to clean the cassette, then screwed it back together and put in new batteries. It now works like a champ..