Satellite Internet

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Satellite Internet

Anyone out there using satellite internet? I don't have much choice, only DSL or satellite where I live out in the boonies. Specifically Hughsnet, pro and cons.

When I had it it was miserable, very slow, almost worthless, and those were the good points.
    Last edited by ondarvr; August 26th, 2017, 12:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ondarvr View Post
      When I had it it miserable, very slow, almost worthless, and those were the good points.

Looked at reviews on the net at that is what most people are saying. I think I may have to keep my landline just for the slow but dependable DSL.

Comment

I have DSL and recently upgraded to twice the speed. The tech installed a new modem and changed the wiring from a 2 wire pair to a 4 wire pair. He called it pairing I think. Anyway, it was all done at the junction box with no new wiring and maybe something at the phone office. Maybe your phone company has the ability to do the same type of thing.
        BOAT SPECS FORUM HELP STARCRAFT FORUM SHOP iboats
        Please, no PM's (Private Messages) regarding boat/engine problems.
        That is what the forums are for.
        Only forum/moderator issues will be answered in PM's.

Comment

I would never buy satellite internet, unless it was the only thing available... Several years back I had to do an hours worth of work over satellite internet, it took 5-6 hours due to the high latency, upload and download. Anything that was done was 1200 miles up and 1200 miles down to the place I was contacting, then 1200 miles up and 1200 miles down to get back to me.... Streaming may be OK over satellite as once you get the stream going, it's a constant download stream.

GA made a good suggestion, pair bonded DSL. I'm only a mile or so from the phone company's DSLAM and have 25/5 service with their pair bonded DSL. Not bad for crappy DSL... If your phone company offers pair bonding service it should double your current internet speed.

I contacted my phone company/ISP 3 times over the years (3-5 years apart) and asked if they had any promotions running. Each time they said they had a special going and could double the speed for little to no cost, with a free modem. Just be sure to document everything as my last upgrade was a battle, after they didn't live up to their 5-year price lock guarantee, a year after I had been on their "new" service. After a year of back and forth, bills corrected then being messed up again, they finally figured I wasn't giving up and have me locked into their agreed upon pricing. Well, at least for the past 6 months.......
          2001 Crestliner SuperHawk 1800, Mercruiser 140HP
          2007 Tracker 1436 jon boat, 7.5HP Force

Comment

I've used both satellite and DSL in the past, and I found satellite to be pretty unreliable. I have some friends who had it for a few years, and ultimately wound up getting rid of it because they would lose reception so often that it was practically like not having it.

When I had DSL, I was getting pretty good results from it - and that was about 10 years ago.
            [ATTACH=CONFIG]temp_270443_1499813187632_202[/ATTACH]

Comment

Been there, done that, have the tee shirt, paid penalty, went back to dsl. Then went mobile hotspot for a while
              1988 Cruisers Rogue 2420 -VP 290 DP now powered by custom 468 - http://forums.iboats.com/forum/owner...988-rogue-2420

Past Boats
              1970 Wooster Hellion - Merc 9.8
              2002 SeaRay 190BR - 5.0 - A1G2 - "Cheasheads in Paradise"
              1984 Avanti 170DLI -3.0 stringer- "Ship Happens"

What’s behind you doesn’t matter.Enzo Ferrari

Comment

My DSL works fine as I watch my DirecTV logo play Pong during heavy rain.
                BOAT SPECS FORUM HELP STARCRAFT FORUM SHOP iboats
                Please, no PM's (Private Messages) regarding boat/engine problems.
                That is what the forums are for.
                Only forum/moderator issues will be answered in PM's.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	PIC_0030.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	52.4 KB
ID:	234362

Originally posted by GA_Boater View Post
                  My DSL works fine as I watch my DirecTV logo play Pong during heavy rain.
                  Or have to go outside with a 16' extension pole with a brush on the end while on a stepladder to wipe the snow off the dish. Another of the pleasures of rural life but you learn to take it in stride along with chasing bears away from the chicken

coop. BTW the date is wr ong on the picture because the memory went dead on the camera from sitting without batteries for too long. Was only two years ago.
                  Last edited by dwco5051; August 26th, 2017, 06:49 PM.

Comment

Had satellite back in the 90's. Better than dial up which was the only other option at the time..
                    Traded satellite for cable, cable for fiber.

Screen capture performance using WIFI on Iphone. Wired performance well over 3 figures. Residential account....
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by dingbat; August 29th, 2017, 11:58 AM.

Comment

I have 2 choices where I live. Satellite or nothing. I chose satellite. It isn't "fast" and probably around 90% reliable. But we got used to it and sure beats my other choice.

Dave S. S/W Louisiana
                      2002 Larson SEI 190 fish 'n ski. 2002 Suzuki DF140 4 stroke
                      Sold: 2000 Odyssey Lextra 2102 Pontoon Boat, 2000 Johnson 90hp J90PLSSE
                      Sold: 1987 Rinker V190 4.3L 175 HP Alpha One Gen one

Comment

RVers use it a lot and it is way better than it used to be. Big problem is a lot of latency..you can't beat physics..close to 700mS.

If you do much uploading it's relatively slow 3 Mbs

Another issue is cost depending on how much you download. A basic plan has similar limits to a cell phone so you can't really stream movies unless you pay a lot more.
                        Last edited by bruceb58; August 29th, 2017, 10:27 AM.
                        1998 Wellcraft Eclipse 24 Cuddy
                        Volvo Penta Duo-Prop 7.4L "LK"

2006 Sun Tracker Party Barge 21
                        Mercury 90 4-Stroke FI
                        "Common sense is not very common"
                        "Failing to prepare is preparing to fail." -- John Wooden

Comment

I have had hughsnet for the last four years. Yes it is slow, and I can barely stream youtube. Not any choices where I live. Fifteen years ago I had a T1 connection where I used to live. It spoiled me real bad. Too bad our country won't let power plants put internet over the power lines like in Germany.

Comment

My plan was for my wife to get a smart phone and for me to keep my 10 year old flip phone as we only had one cell phone between us and get rid of my land line and replace the DSL with Hughsnet. We ended up with her getting an I-phone, me getting a semi-smart flip phone, and keeping the landline with DSL. Only twenty bucks more a month thanks for some checking around by the oldest boy to make his mom happy. I have to have a flip phone because I spend so much time in the woods and on equipment it has to go in a buttoned shirt pocket. The young lad asked why I just don't get a nice belt case for the phone. He forgot that I couldn't wear two phone cases because I already have one of them fake phone cases for my .380.

Problem solved

Comment

Sheesh. I didn't know that DSL even still existed. I have satellite internet and am not happy. They offer three packages. I took the middle package, up to 5 mpbs. The key words are up to. For most of the year I was getting .8 mpbs. That's "point 8". All for 80 bucks a month. I can't even view my home video surveillance through it. Don't expect too much.
                              As in people, there comes a time in your life when you realize what boat will always matter, what boat does matter, & what boat never did. So don't worry about the boats from your past, there's a reason why they didn't make it to your future. .

1978 MFG Gypsy Rebuild Thread
                              1978 MFG Gypsy Rebuild Video
                              First Launch After Rebuild
                              1979 Sunray SW149 Bow Rider Rebuild Video
                              1976 Sunray Boat Floating At The Wharf

Comment

Working...
                              X