Making a 911 Call through Chevrolet MyLink ??

JoLin

Vice Admiral
Was on the highway yesterday and saw a motorcyclist acting so recklessly that I tried to call 911 using the hands-free bluetooth connection in the car. Hit the button to make a call, and when prompted for a name or number to call, I responded "9-1-1".

The 'voice' didn't recognize the request and I couldn't get a call through. Tried 3 times. That was disturbing- what if I was trying to call for emergency help?

Is '911' something I need to enter into in the contacts list on my cellphone? Does anybody know?

southkogs

Staff member
Check your manual, but I believe you have to say "Call 911".

JoLin

Vice Admiral
With MyLink it's a 2 step process. First you're prompted for a command- in this case, "Call" Then, you're asked for a phone book name, number, etc. At that point, I said "9 1 1"

My wife's Ford, with their SYNC app, is easier. When you're prompted for a command you can just say 'Call Joe Blow' or whatever. She hasn't tried 911.

JoLin

Vice Admiral
I went to the manual and found it. Duh. For anyone else with this system...

Press the call button on the steering wheel. When prompted for a command, wait for the tone and say "Call" or "Dial". When prompted for the contact name, number, etc., wait for the tone and say the numbers "9 1 1". After a few seconds, you'll hear the tone one more time. Now say the word "Dial" and it will make the call.

I tried it with "4 1 1" and it worked fine.

(I also added 911 to my phone's contact list under the name "Emergency". That oughta work, too)

Last edited: