Welcome Guest - Sign Up today
Welcome Guest - Sign Up today
Store Links Mobile - Shop Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Use Old Computer Monitor for Inspection Camera Display?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Use Old Computer Monitor for Inspection Camera Display?

Once again I turn to my best technical resource. I've got an older inspection camera (a Whistler GB8803, to be precise). It has a small, 3"x3" or so monitor but allows for hooking up a larger monitor.

​I've got an old LED computer monitor with analog input via a 15 pin D-sub (male) cable end. The inspection camera video output is an RCA (yellow) plug. I'd like to hook the computer monitor up to the inspection camera, but can't figure out what adaptor I need (or, if such an adaptor is available).

​Anybody know if this is feasible? If so, where/what kind of adaptor I need?

Looking on-line at various adaptors there seem to be some that might work mechanically, but I'm confused by the technical jargon.

spend the $8 and get a borescope camera for your phone. that is cheaper than you can buy any of the adapters to attempt to do what you want to with your existing old equipment.

the yellow RCA is analog video that needs to be "processed" to display via your 15 pin VGA cable. there are RCA to VGA adapters
    1988 Cruisers Rogue 2420 -VP 290 DP now powered by custom 468 - http://forums.iboats.com/forum/owner...988-rogue-2420

Past Boats
    1970 Wooster Hellion - Merc 9.8
    2002 SeaRay 190BR - 5.0 - A1G2 - "Cheasheads in Paradise"
    1984 Avanti 170DLI -3.0 stringer- "Ship Happens"

What’s behind you doesn’t matter.Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Huh. I did not know those were avaialble. If I can sell my existing borescope for $20 I can buy one of those and have enough left over for a couple of craft beers.

​Actually, looks like for a few $$ more I can get one with way better resolution than my existing one.

Thanks!

Comment

you can get a FLIR One thermal imaging camera now days for your smart phone for $200
        1988 Cruisers Rogue 2420 -VP 290 DP now powered by custom 468 - http://forums.iboats.com/forum/owner...988-rogue-2420

Past Boats
        1970 Wooster Hellion - Merc 9.8
        2002 SeaRay 190BR - 5.0 - A1G2 - "Cheasheads in Paradise"
        1984 Avanti 170DLI -3.0 stringer- "Ship Happens"

What’s behind you doesn’t matter.Enzo Ferrari

Comment

I don't think there is an adapter to convert the cameras NTSC analog output to digital....cheaper to by a small LCD monitor. I've seen them as cheap as $20.
          Last edited by bigdee; August 12th, 2017, 07:17 AM.

Comment

Just in case you're still interested.....

NTSC/PAL//SECAM (RCA Jack) >------Convert to---------> S/VGA (15 Pin Sub D)

http://www.mycablemart.com/store/car...oaAmtdEALw_wcB
            Last edited by sam am I; August 13th, 2017, 06:01 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by sam am I View Post
              Just in case you're still interested.....

NTSC/PAL//SECAM (RCA Jack) >------Convert to---------> S/VGA (15 Pin Sub D)

http://www.mycablemart.com/store/car...oaAmtdEALw_wcB
              Thanks for sharing that.....I did not know there was an inexpensive converter available on the market.

Comment

Sure, np big

Comment

I ended up buying this on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Endoscope-Dep...n+camera&psc=1

​Donated the old monitor for a tax write-off and gave the Whistler borescope to our son.

​Didn't come out ahead of the game in cash for the craft beers - but, while I'm waiting for the Amazon delivery, I think I'll indulge anyways.

Comment

Will you post a review when you get it please? That's a lot less than the snap on one I have been leaning towards
                    '47 18' CC Utility "Knock On Wood"
                    Various Evinrude powered Pontoons all named "Floosy"

Comment

Got it last week. Real easy setup to work with my ipad. Reason for purchase was to use on my lathe - when boring deep holes, to see inside and monitor what's going on. Does that real good - better resolution than my whistler. Shortly after it arrived I dropped a socket in my boat that rolled under some floorboards. Was able to use the scope to locate and snag it without pulling the floor boards (PIA).

​Sunday a drain issue came up at my volunteer job that may be another application. However, it would be a better fit if I'd purchased the 33 ft. cable model instead of the 11 ft. one

Overall, very satisfied with this unit.

Comment

Working...
                      X