Cordless Hedge Trimmer wont work

massimofinance

Chief Petty Officer
Hello- I have a relatively new Black and Decker 20v lithium Cordless Hedge trimmer (model LHT2220). Worked great. Then it just stopped working with a fully charged battery. I took it apart, and noticed there is a little motor and when I would hit the trigger, it tried try to move. It doesn't do that anymore, just the first time. Tried to move it manually and sprayed some WD40 in there, to no avail. Do you think it would be easy to just replace this little motor? Anything I need to know about replacing this little motor? Include some picture and one where I am pointing to the motor in question. Thank you all.

Attachments

• photo273503.JPG
    photo273503.JPG
    42 KB · Views: 0
  • photo273504.JPG
    photo273504.JPG
    35.6 KB · Views: 0
  • photo273505.JPG
    photo273505.JPG
    43.6 KB · Views: 0

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Make sure its the motor and not something else. You should be able to turn the exposed gear and actuate the trimmer.

If you can find a replacement motor, my guess the cost will be more than 50% of a new trimmer.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Make sure a small sliver of wood isn't binding between the blade and the fixed anvil bar. I've had that happen and it isn't always real obvious. And it didn't take much.

massimofinance

Chief Petty Officer
Did you short across switch to see if it runs?

Thanks for the response, no, I did not short across the switch; can you tell me how would I do that?

As for the other responses above, the gears work fine to move the cutting parts and there isn't a stuck piece of wood in there. When I try to move the brushes inside the motor, the gear doesn't move. Thanks...

bigdee

Commander
Thanks for the response, no, I did not short across the switch; can you tell me how would I do that?

As for the other responses above, the gears work fine to move the cutting parts and there isn't a stuck piece of wood in there. When I try to move the brushes inside the motor, the gear doesn't move. Thanks...

OK. There are 3 terminals on the switch. Before you short anything remove the connector with the 2 BLACK wires from switch. After black wires are removed short the other 2 terminals with the red wires,if motor runs you have proven the switch is bad. The black wires you removed are the brake....it shorts across the motor terminals when switch is released

gm280

Supreme Mariner
If you can, remove the motor and see if it runs without being connected to the gears when you apply the power directly to the motor. If so, your problem is in the gear section. If not then you have a motor issue. Do you smell any burnt smell from the motor? If not, the motor might still be good. But that all depends on your abilities to operate on such things. Could be a broken wire inside or brushes that are gone. But only you know your abilities to fix things like that. JMHO

WIMUSKY

Staff member
After it tried to move, did u put a meter on your battery? Still could be the battery.......

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
Been there, done that! Bought one for the wife for light decorative trimming. It cut very well, is very light and the battery holds up very well. The Mrs used it for two short seasons. At the beginning of this season (third season) it ran for a few minutes then quit. It was purchased in May of 2014 so it was out of warranty.

I called a local Stanley/Black and Decker repair station and was told that B & D supplied zero parts for that unit. I took it apart and it was pristine inside. This did not settle well with me. Two short seasons of light trimming for $90. So I called B & D to complain. They told me it was most likely the battery (even though I knew it wasn't) and sent me a new battery, gratis.

It did not work (as I knew it would not) so I called them back up and they agreed to send me a new trimmer. You can buy bare trimmers on Amazon for $55. They have no battery or charger. When the trimmer arrived, it was complete with battery and charger. I now have 4 batteries and 3 chargers as I had purchased their handy little blower that used the same.

They also told me that that model of trimmer was now discontinued and they were waiting to deplete existing inventory. They said there will be a replacement but stated that they were getting away from that 20v battery. I do not think I got the whole story but at least I have a new, handy, lightweight trimmer for the Mrs to use. They are considerably lighter than other brands.

Last edited:

massimofinance

Chief Petty Officer
Thanks all. I finally got around to shorting the wires last night. I used a thin wire and when I connected it, there was a spark and the wire melted- the motor never turned. Does this mean the motor is shot? Thx.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
Thanks all. I finally got around to shorting the wires last night. I used a thin wire and when I connected it, there was a spark and the wire melted- the motor never turned. Does this mean the motor is shot? Thx.

I'd have to see the motor wiring and how you 'shorted' it before I could say. It's either the motor, the little circuit board or the switch. That's all there is to the machine.

bigdee

Commander

You can't jump it unless you REMOVE the black wires from switch and move it out of the way. After removing black wire jump the 2 remaining red wires. The black wire SHORTS the motor when switch is released to act as a brake. If you did not remove black wire you created a dead short when you jumped it.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
You can't jump it unless you REMOVE the black wires from switch and move it out of the way. After removing black wire jump the 2 remaining red wires. The black wire SHORTS the motor when switch is released to act as a brake. If you did not remove black wire you created a dead short when you jumped it.

bd, do you mean to jump the two red wires to the positive and negative terminals of the battery or to just short them together? It might be difficult to keep the battery hooked up once the case is split.

I still have my defunct trimmer sitting on the counter and it would be fun to see if the motor died or whether it was one of the components that failed.

Last edited:

bigdee

Commander
bd, do you mean to jump the two red wires to the positive and negative terminals of the battery or to just short them together? It might be difficult to keep the battery hooked up once the case is split.

No just jump between each red wire on switch. You can slide the connectors back just a little and use a knife to short the two together. IMPORTANT unplug black wires from switch before you do this.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
No just jump between each red wire on switch. You can slide the connectors back just a little and use a knife to short the two together. IMPORTANT unplug black wires from switch before you do this.

Gotcha!

MRS

Commander
Hate to say this but I will never buy anything made by black and decker again. Bought the blower and the weed trimmer both cordless had to buy two batteries cause they keep dyeing plus only got maybe 10 mins. use out of them. So I did go and buy a corded vac and blower model it burned up the motor in the first 15 mins. I used it. Now running Kobalt stuff heaver and twice as expensive but works and holds a charge plus batteries charge in a hour or less. Black -Decker would take 6 to 8 hrs. to charge.

massimofinance

Chief Petty Officer
I never reported back, I complained to Black and Decker and they sent me a label to send it back and they sent me a new one! I was three months away from the warranty (2 years) expiring.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
Odd. Mine was a half a year out of warranty and they sent me a complete new one with no requirement to return the old one.

I never reported back, I complained to Black and Decker and they sent me a label to send it back and they sent me a new one! I was three months away from the warranty (2 years) expiring.