Looking for ideas?

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
I have changed the tires on my engine crane to larger wheel sets, the rears are caster type solid wheels making it easier to maneuver around on uneven ground, and I put stationary larger wheels on the front, that are air filled with inner tubes, and the darn things keep going flat, cheap vinyl inner tubes! So I am trying to figure out what type of compound I could put in the tube or the tire to make then flat free and still have some give to them to traverse uneven ground.

Wondering if anyone has an idea or perhaps has done something like this, the tire size is 2.50 - 4.00

alldodge

Staff member
I'm having a similar problem with the front tires on my zero turn, they keep going flat. Been looking into foam filling them, but not with the can stuff. Still have some 4 lb foam from the last project. Think the issue will be hhow to get it in the tire fast enough before it expands, need relief holes, and they will probably be real hard when done.

Can fill them about half full of the slime but think it wears out over time

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Actually I recently had a problem with one of my rear tires on the mower slowly leaking down. And I hate that every time I wanted to mow, I had to pump up the tire. So I bought a bottle of Slime and used it according to the instructions. Of course I though it wasn't going to fix my problem. But surprising, it did. It took two days for it to finally seal, but I haven't needed to pump up the tire in months now. And it was side wall cracks that were the problem with leaking. The tread was great, but the sidewalls were cracked all over the place. Slime did the job. Just thought you would want to know. :noidea:

southkogs

Staff member
I was trying to think of some kind of gel that's easy to get hold of - but won't rot over time. But then, how much pressure do you have to put the gel under?

bigdee

Commander
Find a forklift truck dealer/service and they can fill them with a compound that makes them as solid as a rock.

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
If you find a solution please post it. I have the same issue with my yard-arm brand sterndrive jack. Actually every yard arm I have ever seen. I wonder if it just the nature of the 2.5 X 4 tires....