Help! Goose Invasion!

Volphin

Lieutenant
The dock and lake house back lawn are getting a lot of unwelcome Canadian Geese visitors lately, and they leave their calling card everywhere. This is Watts Bar Lake in eastern TN, 1-2Nm downstream from TN National. As I understand it, you can't just open up on these critters without running afoul (or is that afowl? LOL) of Uncle Samuel. It's not a big deal if I'm there... some noise and a few bottle rockets does the trick. The problem is, we can go weeks in between visits. In the meantime, the little buggers crap up a storm. How can I make it less hospitable to them? I really don't want to fence the waterfront...
Any ideas?

alldodge

Staff member
Would be a good time for duck a l'orange but seems some folks would be upset

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Webber grill with hickory and oak......smoked goose with wild rice and mushroom stuffing

jbcurt00

Staff member
Free fertilizer for greener grass on YOUR side of the fence for a change?

82rude

Rear Admiral
Adopt a couple of foxes.They will take care of your goose and any rodent problems.As unlikely as this seems and im mostly making a joke there is a guy up where i hunt that has a fox thats very friendly towards us humans.We call him the camp bush dog,lol.I got some picks somewheres with him and me eating chips,very effective rodent killer.Unfortunately it will most likely be killed by some moron as its very social and will run out to see and be around people.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
What about setting up a couple fox or coyote mannequins. And even set them to move via some timers or such?

Here in middle Georgia, we have Canadian Geese everywhere. If there is a pond of water (I thing even a small wading pool will attract them), you will have geese. But they don't leave either. I thought they were suppose to migrate back to Canada in the summer and go south in the winter. Well somebody better tell these geese they are supposed to go home. They are here 24/7/365. And each year they have lots and lots of geeselets (yeah, I know, not a word).

82rude

Rear Admiral
Goslings gm280.Geese do what they want to do,Nice sunny weather,food,wading pool,why the heck fly all the way back to rainy Canada,lol.

Volphin

Lieutenant
Thank you everyone! I'm going to try a few suggestions here and on some other forums too. I appreciate the feedback!

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Don't bother with the fake coyotes. We have them up at Tahoe and my golf course. The geese literally walk all around them.

I have to use short metal cloth near the water's edge to keep them off my lawn at my Tahoe house.

wahlejim

Master Chief Petty Officer
Fake swans. Swans and geese hate each other, and swans are actually pretty aggressive. I am fortunate enough to have real swans on my lake. Only saw 1 goose the entire time I have lived here. It was being chased away by the biggest Swan on the lake. Nothing like enjoying your morning coffee on the patio and looking up to see a swan flaying after a goose about 3 feet above the water. The swan was right on his tail. From the beak of the goose to the tail of the swan must have been 9-10 feet. Looked like a small plane.

garbageguy

Lieutenant Commander
string some fishing line a foot or so off the dock surface before you leave for a while - just don't forget it's there when you get back

btw, they're Canada Geese (unless you know and are talking about their citizenship)

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Curious, what does roasted goose taste like? :noidea:

We have so many in the area, that if one or two didn't show up one day, I don't think anybody would miss them being how there are lots and lots of them. :eek:

Okay, just kidding. I won't harm any of them. Just wondering how goose taste though. I am sure a lot of people have harvested them (legally of course) and have them for diner...and not as guests either. :laser::flock: