Solar Landscape Light Rehab

minuteman62-64

Lieutenant
My wife bought a couple of decorative solar lights at a garage sale. Only $5, but they are kind of neat and she really likes them. They are made with the LED lights on a decorative "stalk" with a cord running to the solar unit (see photo). Problem is, the solar unit on one of the lights is missing.

​Been looking to see if I could find a cheap replacement for the missing solar unit - consists of a small collector with circuitry and a 1.2 V. rechargeable battery. Haven't really found anything yet.

Anybody know a source for these power units - or if I could kludge one up from something from HF? Obviously has to be weatherproof.

​As an alternative, I'm wondering if I could splice the wire from the second light into the solar unit that powers the first light (run both lights off one solar unit)?

Appreciate any ideas.

Attachments

• photo269196.jpg
    photo269196.jpg
    160.1 KB · Views: 0

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
I use the solar yard lights for many things, but as cheap as they are it really doesn't pay to work them at all, it can cost more to replace the battery than it does for a new complete light.

Not that it can't be done, but I buy them on sale for around $2.00 for the cheap ones, and double that for the better ones, full price isn't even enough to make buying a new one out of the question.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Around where I live Walmart sell then all over the shelves. If you want to keep with that design, buy one similar to it from Walmart and transfer the solar and battery section from the new one to your old one. It really isn't that hard to do. JMHO

I installed LED house light system with path lights and house accent lights. They are triggered off the sun and come on as it sets. But they are not solar cell powered but a transformer that powers them. So they are a lot brighter then the solar cell types. And I bought them as warm white lights to offer a more of a amber light then the harsh bluish cool white lights. It make the house seem very warm and looks great as well. And it keep the house lite up to ward off any would be intruders as well. And since they all are LEDs the cost to run them is very minuscule too.

minuteman62-64

Lieutenant
I use the solar yard lights for many things, but as cheap as they are it really doesn't pay to work them at all, it can cost more to replace the battery than it does for a new complete light.

Not that it can't be done, but I buy them on sale for around $2.00 for the cheap ones, and double that for the better ones, full price isn't even enough to make buying a new one out of the question.

​Yeah, but my wife really likes these - like maybe license to get a new toy if I get it in operation :)

minuteman62-64

Lieutenant
Around where I live Walmart sell then all over the shelves. If you want to keep with that design, buy one similar to it from Walmart and transfer the solar and battery section from the new one to your old one. It really isn't that hard to do. JMHO

I installed LED house light system with path lights and house accent lights. They are triggered off the sun and come on as it sets. But they are not solar cell powered but a transformer that powers them. So they are a lot brighter then the solar cell types. And I bought them as warm white lights to offer a more of a amber light then the harsh bluish cool white lights. It make the house seem very warm and looks great as well. And it keep the house lite up to ward off any would be intruders as well. And since they all are LEDs the cost to run them is very minuscule too.

​That did the trick. Found a set of lights at HF with a similar power pack - $7.99. About 30 minutes of wire cutting/stripping/soldering and, bingo. Lets see now, what do I really need ...... :)