plumbers

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
not sure what they are called, but all of my sinks have the vent under the cabinet, nothing thru the roof.

the toilet was not flushing and it was not from a turd. I was thinking maybe the entrance to the septic tank was clogged again; it happened a couple years ago. Ran a bunch of water in the shower that is the closest to the tank and no back up like happened last time. Ran water to my sink which is the second to farthest away from there, all good. AC's sink, which is the farthest from the tank and it backed up. More in my sink and all good. Ran a bunch on the tub which is between my sink and the toilet and all of a sudden both her sink and the toilet gurgles and drained. No prob since. She did tell me that she has heard the toilet gurgle while she is taking a shower but this is first time not draining as it should.

do these vents go bad? Is that what caused this?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
vacuum breaker vents

a few things can hang them up

joeanna

Petty Officer 2nd Class
the under cabinet valve is called a "vacuum break". the do go bad, but most likely in the open position, you would smell the sewer gasses, but could fail closed, they allow air into the pipe when draining.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
yeah actually i looked and both sides of th ehouse have one vent so assuming that is toilet and shower and they under cabinet vented the sinks (all including Kitchen)

When I get back fomr vacation I'll check out the order in which sh.t rolls down hill and report back

bigdee

Commander
Sometimes an insect can get into those air admittance valves causing them to hang. My lake house has no roof vent and everything works fine even when using washing machine,dishwasher and both bathroom showers(guests!) at the same time. I have a total of 9 air admittance valves.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
I think it's also called a studor vent .https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjmrl6K1w-o
My master throne will sometimes back up but usually it's just clogged ... The plumbers I hired when I built the place were not the best imho ..
I can unclog by running a water hose up the clean out just outside of the house ...

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
Yes, they are against code here, but they do go bad. Easy to replace, maybe 11 bucks at menards.

bigdee

Commander
Yes, they are against code here, but they do go bad. Easy to replace, maybe 11 bucks at menards.

They are legal here but have to be accessible. Easy to replace,no tools needed just unscrew old and hand tighten new one. Mine have been in use for 14 years without any failures.

dolluper

Captain
Sometimes the cheaters are installed below the devise (capper sink shower) they must be installed at least a foot (minimum ) above drain to work 2 to 3 feet is better