Strange auto air-condition issues

Limited-Time

Vice Admiral
2003 Ford F-250 the air works well when at driving speed. However if ideling for a period of time the air gets warm. The higher the temp the shorter time it takes to go warm. Once back up to crusing speed the system cools off it set temps. I'm thinking either a bad viscous fan or a plugged up condenser coil. Any thoughts?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Throw a set of gauges on it and check pressures

Chaser 32

Seaman Apprentice
[FONT=&quot]When a car's ac blows warm at stops a common problem is the air conditioning condenser cooling fan.[/FONT]

fishrdan

Admiral
Check the condenser's electric fan and it's fuse and/or relay. On my truck, the relay kept going bad, so I replaced the condenser fan. solved the issue.

I also replaced the thermostatic fan clutch, and while the old one was working OK, the new one works sooo much better. AC even works better after replacing the thermostatic fan clutch.

southkogs

Staff member
Just had to replace the condenser fan on my Dodge - same exact symptoms.

bigdee

Commander
In addition to all the suggestions,the compressor may be showing signs of wear. As internal seals wear it is harder to maintain pressure at the lower rotational speeds.

jimr

Senior Chief Petty Officer
1st thing to do is wash out the radiator and condenser. look for any obvious sign of leaks and see if fan turns easily when it is warmed up or if there is some resistance to it. then hook up some gauges.

fishrdan

Admiral
Agree with jimr on connecting gauges to the AC system to make sure it's operating properly. I've had to put freon in the AC system of my 2001 Dodge a couple times over the past 5-6 years, slight leak at one of the hose crimps, hose needs to be replaced....