Can it be done?

Redfred1

Chief Petty Officer
I have a question about installing Firefox or Linux on a old computer. It is a Compaq LT; and has Windows XP installed. Know that no updates are available; I was wondering could either one of the free browsers be put on a CD; then installed on the older computer. It would be outside in the garage for general use only. Some say yes;others no. I definitely am computer ignorant; so if it can be done; it has to be easy.

Bayou Dave

Lieutenant Commander
I am strill running XP and have Firefox on it. No problems at all.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Firefox will install on it, I still have two old computers running XP for my weather stations and they run Firefox just fine, but you can also install some of the older Linux systems on it as well. Linux operates completely different than windows in how it interacts with the hardware and even through XP is an older OS, the hardware is what really matters and very few versions of XP actually took full advantage of the capabilities the hardware has.

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral
I am typing this on an old XP driven laptop at the cottage....and I use FireFox. So the combination definitely works as others have posted.

As far as the Linux advocates, I have no doubt that they are correct, but unlike you and me, they are NOT self-confessed computer neophytes. At least one of them derives income from the field. Their "it's a snap" may not translate to all.
Your results may vary. :)

bigdee

Commander
Ubuntu OS is already packaged with FF. The newest version of Ubuntu is a little heavy for an older computer but there is Ubuntu LT, a lightweight version that should run well on older laptops. You can still keep XP and have the option of choosing either one at boot-up.

Redfred1

Chief Petty Officer
Thanks for the info! Now all I have to do is try to decipher those websites and try to see if I can figure it out. As I said in my OP; I have no clue on how to do it. Wish I could do it with a hammer

Redfred1

Chief Petty Officer
Sorry to be so long in posting a response. Another bout with the back. (T9; 10; and 11 were cracked;not seen on previous MRI).Read through all those websites; and decided to let better Guru's do it. Took my daughter and granddaughter to get it installed. Got her neighbor to look at it too. (Computer programmer) It works; but veerryy slow in loading in Search; and slower in loading. This is going through a wireless connection. Brought it home; tried it; same thing.Called AT&T; they sent a Tech out. He ran a test on the wire; said it had a weak spot in it. They came out and ran a new wire; still slooow. Other two units working OK; but not faster.
Got the Admiral ticked off; They screwed up about 150' of her lawn with a rut.O well; the thought was good; equipment was outdated. It is in the closet now. Thanks for the help and advice.
Never heard of a weak spot in a wire;evidently I didn't pay enough attention in school!

rogerwa

Commander
An easy thing to do if the ubuntu or kubuntu interests you, you can create an install disk and you can use it as a test drive to see if you like it and if it works well on the PC. It doesn't install anything unless you tell it to do the install.