Convert a pressure washer into a generator

Elec Man

Recruit
Hi, I have a pressure washer that I would like to convert to a generator. It is 5hp. Any help on how would be much appreciated.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
​Convert the pressure washer into cash, then convert the cash into a generator.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Going to be more expensive than it is worth, the generator head is over 50% of the cost of a generator, so by time you buy all the parts to convert it, you could either sell or trade for one. Costco has 7000 watt electric start champions on sale for like $500 bucks right now, which is enough to serve as a back up for power outages.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Or find someone with a generator and needs a pressure washer, then trade or barter.

If that fails, follow the advice above.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Now you done it....I have a genset with a bad motor. And I have a pressure washer with a bad pump. Got me to thinking now......As if I don't have enough projects....Thank's.....

KD4UPL

Senior Chief Petty Officer
A 5hp engine is only good for about a 3,000 watt generator at most. You would need the alternator, wiring harness with outlets, mounting brackets, shaft coupler, and probably a proper governor to maintain exactly 3,600 RPM.
I would suspect you're better off just buying a 3,000 watt generator. It would probably be much cheaper and more reliable.

bigdee

Commander
This is why I like inverter generators. At low load they can run at very low RPMS.

.....and they produce CLEANER ac. Price/electronics vs simplicity of standard generator is a cost concern though. Case in point for electronics....my deep well pump almost kills my standard generator when it cycles on causing a serious power dip to the rest of the house. I installed an AC inverter drive on my well and now I cannot even tell when it starts. So I,m using a cheopo generator to supply power to a single phase motor drive. Before this I needed a 7kw generator to take care of the start amps,now I'm getting by with a 4.4kw unit.