Wondering, anybody try this oil?

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
I keep seeing ad's for the new annual protection Mobil 1 synthetic that states it is good for up to one year or 20K miles between oil changes and they guarantee that if you use their annual protection oil filter they will fix or repair your engine if it fails due to an oil related situation, which I know is hard to prove, but I am interested in the annual aspect of the product, I don't drive my truck 20K a year, so it would work out for me, the truck I inherited from Dad when he passed away, still has very low miles on it and I have only put 8K on it since he passed away a year and a half ago.

It is no more expensive that other oils, including the filter from Amazon, I can get 5 quarts and the filter for about $40 bucks delivered for free in two days.

Just wondering if anyone has used it?

Thanks in advance.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
There are only two reasons to change oil so often, besides dirt and combustion contamination. Those two reasons are as follows: The formation of sulfuric acid when crankcase condensation mixes with the sulfur content in the natural oil and forms sulfuric acid. The other is the breakdown of the additives, in natural oil, that helps homogenize the varied oil molecules sizes found in natural oil. Synthetic oil has uniform molecule size and has no sulfur in it to form harmful, metal eating acid. Go for it!.

Sprig

Chief Petty Officer
Remember when cars got tune ups about every 10,000 miles and a car making it to 100,000 miles was rare? Now a days many modern cars don't require their first tune up until 100,000, and 100000 mile plus cars are common. No reason to think you can't get 20,000 miles between oil changes using synthetic oil and a quality oil filter. Of course severe driving conditions may affect that.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Believe me, I remember filing points, punching oil cans with metal funnels, timing them every single time you tuned them up and filing and re-gaping plugs!

:eek:

WIMUSKY

Staff member
No reason to think you can't get 20,000 miles between oil changes using synthetic oil and a quality oil filter. Of course severe driving conditions may affect that.

No thanks. Oil is relatively cheap. No reason not to change it on a regular basis....

Redfred1

Chief Petty Officer
Got to agree with Mr. Musky. You can get the oil and filter for $25.Also would use regular oil (Castrol). Filter: anything but Fram.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
In a year and a half, I have put 8000 miles on the truck and changed the oil twice, so it would be worth it to me, when you own 6 vehicles, two of them very heavy duty trucks and a motor home, it get dang expensive changing oil, Subaru every 3000 miles, plow truck once in the spring, once in the fall, motorhome seems like almost every time I use it, Chev pickup every 3500 miles, Aerostar van, every 2500, my 5th wheel puller, every 2500-3000 miles, it takes 10 quart per change and a darn expensive filter!

So the one I am asking about, does no work and is basically a driver with no strain on it. I know old habits are hard to change, but I didn't want to get a smart phone when they came out either!

:lol:

Sprig

Chief Petty Officer
I have my oil changed in my truck every 3000 to 3500 miles. I think the om says you can go to 5000 or maybe it's 6000 but 3000 is what I do because it's what I've always done. Would it make any difference if I didn't change until 6000 miles. I doubt it. The thing is with synthetic oil and a quality oil filter I just don't see that there would be any problem going 20000 miles. If the automotive industry consensus is that there is no harm then no real reason not to go 20000 if that's what you want. I'll continue to have my oil changed every 3000 or so because I'm old school, change from the old ways is often difficult but I'm sure extended oil change intervals is here and will become normal operating procedure as time goes on.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
[FONT=&quot]In your case MT, you could probably use any oil and change it once a year due to the the few miles you put on each year, about 5k. Anyone else that uses their vehicle on a regular basis, 12k +, I wouldn't recommend changing once a year no matter what Mobil sez. Nothing may fail, but you may be accelerating "normal wear".

Like MT said, good luck proving engine failure due to the oil.........

https://mobiloil.com/en/article/warranties/limited-warranty/mobil-1-annual-protection-oil-warranty

This limited warranty excludes:
[/FONT]

• Mobil?-branded lubricants used in mechanically deficient equipment as a result of abnormal operation; negligence; abuse; damage from casualty, shipment or accident; or, equipment modification done without written authorization from the original equipment manufacturer (OEM)
  • Situations where the OEM required lubricant standards do not match those stated by ExxonMobil without written approval from ExxonMobil
  • Mobil-branded lubricants that have been used in conjunction with any other product or additive that has not been authorized for use by ExxonMobil
  • Failure of equipment due to a pre-existing condition that is unrelated to the use of Mobil-branded lubricants
  • Repair or replacement of equipment due to normal wear

Redfred1

Chief Petty Officer
Just wondering who (Dealer; mechanic) would honor the warranty; plus the time it would take to repair?

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Just wondering who (Dealer; mechanic) would honor the warranty; plus the time it would take to repair?

I am sure that would be one that is contracted with the company that sells Mobil 1 products..

Actually, I really did think this was a simple question...."Has anyone tried this oil?"

That is all I was asking.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
My bet...the oil is the exact same oil they have always sold and this is a marketing ploy coupled with Mobil 1 throwing the dice that they may have to buy a few people some engines at some point.

Keep on doing what you are doing.

I do think that changing oil at 3000 miles is a complete waste of money and resources.

bassman284

Commander
Believe me, I remember filing points, punching oil cans with metal funnels, timing them every single time you tuned them up and filing and re-gaping plugs!

:eek:
Yon bygone days of yore. There was a time when I had a point file with a pocket clip on it. Didn't leave home without it.

David Young

Chief Petty Officer
[FONT=&quot]In your case MT, you could probably use any oil and change it once a year due to the the few miles you put on each year, about 5k. Anyone else that uses their vehicle on a regular basis, 12k +, I wouldn't recommend changing once a year no matter what Mobil sez. Nothing may fail, but you may be accelerating "normal wear".

Like MT said, good luck proving engine failure due to the oil.........

https://mobiloil.com/en/article/warranties/limited-warranty/mobil-1-annual-protection-oil-warranty

This limited warranty excludes:
[/FONT]

• Mobil™-branded lubricants used in mechanically deficient equipment as a result of abnormal operation; negligence; abuse; damage from casualty, shipment or accident; or, equipment modification done without written authorization from the original equipment manufacturer (OEM)
  • Situations where the OEM required lubricant standards do not match those stated by ExxonMobil without written approval from ExxonMobil
  • Mobil-branded lubricants that have been used in conjunction with any other product or additive that has not been authorized for use by ExxonMobil
  • Failure of equipment due to a pre-existing condition that is unrelated to the use of Mobil-branded lubricants
  • Repair or replacement of equipment due to normal wear

^^^THIS^^^

​By the time you pay 'experts' to say the part (or engine) failed because of the oil, you could have paid to have the part (or engine) replaced. :(