Chainsaw oiler died

robert graham

Admiral
My older but perfectly good McCulloch chain saw automatic oiler quit and " no parts available".....any of you chainsaw experts have any ideas regarding adding some kind of manual oiler to the saw....like a pump/bottle arrangement...or other????

alldodge

Staff member
My older but perfectly good McCulloch chain saw automatic oiler quit and " no parts available".....any of you chainsaw experts have any ideas regarding adding some kind of manual oiler to the saw....like a pump/bottle arrangement...or other????

Just to ask a maybe dumb question, but have you tried running the saw without the bar/chain on it to see if oil comes out?

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Some times they get clogged up. You could flush the pump with some Mineral Spirits and add some oil and see if it works again. I wouldn't use Carb Cleaners, or Lacquer Thinner, Acetone or anything like that. Mineral Spirits usually is safe to clean things like that out. JMHO

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Go to smokestack.com go to the forums, scroll down to small air cooled engines and find the chain saw collectors sub forum. They can help you find parts if needed.

mla2ofus

Chief Petty Officer
Just lay a piece of clean carboard or paper on the ground and holding the bar over it, wind her up and if the pump's working you'll soon see a fine oil spray on the cardboard/paper.
Mike

robert graham

Admiral
Just to ask a maybe dumb question, but have you tried running the saw without the bar/chain on it to see if oil comes out?

The chain locked up/dry...no oil on chain...it's quit. May try some kind of drip feeder or a pump oil can or something?...

mla2ofus

Chief Petty Officer
This is why I always liked the old manual oilers. If it didn't get enough oil guess who's fault it was??
Mike

alldodge

Staff member
Long time ago mine went dry and I took it to the shop. The issue was there was crud build up in the bar hole. This is why I asked if it would pump oil without the chain and bar on it

bigdee

Commander
Theres not much that can go wrong......usually a good cleaning fixes the problem.