pool filters

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
the electric one we have does a good job, but you gotta clean a dam filter each time. I want one that suck back to the main filter and I can just backwash that, so obviously would be one that worked on the suction.

any tips / recommendations?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
are you talking creepy-crawly that works on a dedicated pump intake port? does your pool have an extra hose for a vac hose?

Hayward, pentair, etc all make one.

bigdee

Commander
Get a sand filter and that will eliminate the hassle of cleaning it. Had my pool since 1984 and no problems until the fiberglass tank burst. On my 2nd tank...never had to replace sand on either one. Also a salt system will eliminate most of your maintenance and the need for chemicals too.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
yeah scott something like that. We have an inground salt, and two skimmer ports I can use.

I've seen the creepy crawly and some one with wheels, not sure where to go with either one.

We have a Hayward Shark because my wife was told we needed it, but again a PIA to clean each time.

BD - do have the sand filter, the shark is the one that has the cleanable filter.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
We had a suction side vac going into main cartridge filter .
It lasted a couple seasons before it quit .
Next one will be on the supply side .
Just keep it stirred up and let the filter take care of it ..

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
We have an inground, gunite pool. Got tired of dealing with the brush and hose to clean the pool.

Most "robots" require a second pump, but the Polaris 360 works with the existing filter pump. Just throw it on and forget it. Runs an hour or so a day, a couple of times a week depending on debris accumulation

They're not cheap (I bought mine used on Craigs List for $125) but it works like a charm. No problems dealing with the leaves and dead critters (frogs and mice) regularly found at the bottom of our pool.

Of note, it doesn't deal with snapping turtles very well...

http://www.polarispool.com/en/produc...re/polaris-360